How to strech the knees?

my knees have been killing me the past 2 years and one of my friends whose a cross country runner said its because I don’t stretch them but i really don’t know how.

The knee itself is a joint. It should be stable at that. The last thing you would want to stretch is the knee.

What you are looking to stretch is the muscles that connect to the knee. Being the quads, hamstrings and calves.

If I were to guess I would say your knee pain is coming from tight quads. Those are stretched by pulling the heel to your butt.

Another thing to look as is your ankle and hip mobility/flexibility. Should you be lacking at either joint the body will try and compensate and put extra stress on the knee, potentially explaining the pain.

Most people also have weak hamstrings and glutes relative to their quads. This can also attribute to knee pain as well. Make sure to get some extra work in for your backside, in fact those muscles are way more important in athletics anyways.

It could be Osgood-Schlatter disease

It seems to be pretty common.

The pain for me lasted most of my freshman year of high school but I did lots of stability and weight training and I don’t have any problem anymore. It went away by my sophomore year.

[quote=“Spencer”]It could be Osgood-Schlatter disease

It seems to be pretty common.

The pain for me lasted most of my freshman year of high school but I did lots of stability and weight training and I don’t have any problem anymore. It went away by my sophomore year.[/quote]

Great call, I didn’t even think of this.
Very common in adolscent males. Some have it to worse degrees than others. I had it mildly, but it only affected me with basketball. I have a friend that couldn’t even wear traditional baseball spikes cause the lack of padding irritated their O-S so bad.

I hope it is that cause god they are killing me even when i don’t do any physical activities

I can understand how you feel. I have Osgood-Schlater disease and Severs disease and before I was diagnosed I thought I was injured, so don’t sweat it too much.

Hopefully it will pass. If it gets really bad I would see a doctor (Isn’t that the recommendation for everything here?!)

In the meantime, if you can, do some stability exercises like 1 legged body squats and hip exercises. Stretch your hammies too

you shouldn’t strech them, just get the blood running through there

Also you can try foam rolling the surrounding areas: quads, hamstrings, IT Band, etc.