How to squat

hello everyone, good to be back! well im starting to work ouut and get in shape for the season, and im not sure how to do a squat with dumbells. also, im not sure what weight dumbells to use. im about 5’8 150lbs sophomore in hs. thanks!

Why are you squatting with DBs? Barbell is vastly superior.

with a large dumbbell you can do a goblet squat, but barbells are much better as kyleb said. However, if you don’t have access to a barbell you can do bulgarian split squats or the third progression in this video holding a dumbbell goblet style

I think single leg squats and their variations are always better.

From my own personal experience dumb bell variations of squats allow you to isolate just your legs which is good but you should be doing barbell squats too because it works your entire body and really makes you stabilize weight which is kind of a big deal when you’re pitching.

Here are some great videos on the squat. Use light weight at first to learn proper technique and form then you can gradually increase the weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

how do i squat with a barbell when i do not have a squat rack? i do not have a access to a gym. and how much weight to i put on the barbell?

if this is the case use dumbbells with either of the two variations I showed you in my previous post.

can i do a goblet squat with a medicine ball? if not, how heavy of a dumbell should i use?

Swiss ball squats with DBs.

You can front squat with a barbell and no rack. Why do you have no access to a gym? Your school doesn’t have one? Community center?

One-legged squats are not replacements for full squats.

i dont have the money for a gym membership, my school doesnt have a weight room, and theres no rec or community center around

Bummer. DB Goblet Squats might be your only option.

Do these! It’ll challenge your “core.” No, really, it will. Hell, I’ll even throw around big words like proprioception to convince you!

note sarcasm

[quote=“LankyLefty”]Do these! It’ll challenge your “core.” No, really, it will. Hell, I’ll even throw around big words like proprioception to convince you!

note sarcasm[/quote]

That looks extremely difficult. I’m afraid to give those a whirl I may fall and bust my ass. A Swiss ball, physioball, exercise ball, what ever you like to call them is a must have in my opinion. You can do so much with them.

Lanky was joking. Those are stupid. But a Swiss ball is still useful.

This is off-topic, but I threw a structured bullpen off a mound today (into an ATEC net) for the first time this offseason. Good god, my arm feels like it has lightning in it even though I haven’t been throwing much or doing arm-specific work.

The moral of the story is: Do your squats, kids.

I think the Swiss ball squat on it’s own would be a decent exercise because it would help you improve stability but I do agree that the added weight makes it stupid and you could injure yourself very easily doing this so it’s probably not worth it, still it would be hard to do. The guy doing it doesn’t even go down all the way so it kind of defeats the purpose of doing a squat in my opinion.

I guess I’m not not Xtreme.

[quote=“ZW#17”]I think the Swiss ball squat on it’s own would be a decent exercise because it would help you improve stability…

I guess I’m not not Xtreme.[/quote]

I guess not :lol:

thanks for everyones help! i think those goblet squats are my only choice. good luck to everyone with their own workouts!

Here’s a video of my recent workout - 3x5x350 Back Squats (new 3x5 PR for me, my 1RM is 435).

I think my squat form is pretty good. There are a few things I need to change (right heel not perfectly aligned) but the depth is solid and I recently increased shoulder flexibility enough to get the proper hand position on the bar.

Wow kyle, it looks like you use no cushion between the bar and the top of your spine, doesn’t that hurt?