How to reduce changeup speed

Currently my changeup is around 5 mph slower then my fastball and I would like it to be more in the 7-8 range. Does anyone have any tips for slowing down my changeup a bit without losing too much deception.

Depending on what grip you are using, hold the ball deeper in your palm and/or spread your fingers wider.

What grip are you using? About how old are you?

Good luck,
Ted

When I was playing, I had two grips for my knuckle-curve, two-finger and three-finger. With the three-finger grip, the pitch behaved almost like a forkball, much slower, but with none of the stress and strain. You might try that with whatever pitch you want to slow down—but remember, you still have to throw the thing with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as your fastball.

I should have provided more info.
I am 25 FB around 81-83
I use a circle change grip

Have you tried pronating earlier? I hear some coaches say “throw the C”.

Good luck,
Ted

One pitch that you might try is the forkball. It’s very difficult to master as pitches go, in fact the learning curve is steep and can be drawn out. But, this pitch for some are a career saver. On the other hand, this is NOT a split-finger pitch. I can expand on that later if you wish, but for now, focus on the feel, witness the trajectory and results, and so forth. This pitch does require a lot of strength in the hand, grip wise. Also, this pitch is not for everyone. Shoulder strength and a deliberate body language during the final delivery stage of your motion is mandatory.

Below is a graphic picture of the front and back view of the grip along with some narration.

I should mention that I really wouldn’t classify this pitch as an off-speed or changeup, rather a way to take the kind of velocity away from your current situation, as such.
[URL=http://s216.photobucket.com/user/CoachBaker/media/fork%20ball_zpscet7zrlf.png.html][/URL]

You know Trebeck, that is a pretty decent pitch to set a batter up with. Take that pitch and nibble just on the outside corner - high and away, then come back with a bullet down and away on the corner (left or right-handed batter), and you got a good one-two punch. But, in order for this to be effective you’ve got to work fast, while the snapshot of that the pitch that nibbled the high outside corner is still fresh in the batter’s memory.

Choke the ball but maintain a proper release point. Try to keep the ball back in your palm however not all the way back. What makes the change up slower is the friction with more fingers so be sure to let the ball roll off the right ones.