How to Recover from a Bad Season

As a sophomore, I had the best individual stats on my team, and some were the best in the state. I hurt my shoulder the following summer ( biceps tendon, supraspinatus, etc ) I did not need surgery ; However, I took a 6 month break from throwing and did physical therapy during that off time. This season, I made 1 start, my stats were horrific, I maybe pitched 8 innings total. My ERA was in the 3’s as opposed to my 1.1 the year before. The bad thing is, I know I can do better and perform at a higher level, and I think it’s completely mental. I lost 20lbs ( I was on the chubbier side previously, now I have visible abs ). I got stronger and faster ten fold. I’m really seeking someone’s wisdom that is only achievable with experience because I feel like I am well-educated and knowledgeable about this great game, but need something I can’t describe. ( this is my first post ever here, I hope I did alright )

ReedMangum,

“ I hurt my shoulder the following summer ( biceps tendon, supraspinatus, etc ) I did not need surgery “

Let’s start here. Have you ever wondered why your biceps needed to be used in the first place?

It flexes your elbow concentrically (shortening) and contracts your elbow eccentrically (lengthening) meaning it does nothing to drive the ball, in fact if it is firing off the Triceps (antagonist) that extends the Elbow concentrically is actually turned off (reciprocal inhibition). This is caused by Forearm supinated pitch types where your bicep has to fire off first to assist the supination concentrically, then immediataly contract eccentrically to stop the ballistic crash of your elbow that it fails in doing so. That mechanic is intuitively practiced into you because your arm flies away from your body by way of where you took it to launch it (centripetal imperative).

Mitigation comes when you learn to take the ball straight back and on time with Humeral outwards rotation to length.

“However, I took a 6 month break from throwing and did physical therapy during that off time.”

This means you did nothing to fix the mechanic that broke you down!

Physical therapy needs to be “sport specific” and non-pathomechanical.

“The bad thing is, I know I can do better and perform at a higher level, and I think it’s completely mental.”

To be as good as you can be.

Stride short, stay tall thru recovery by body rotating 175 degrees. Throw all Forearm pronated pitch types (all). Your Elbow will now pop up and recover your arm safely.

These things will allow you to train sport specifically at maximal outputs even with resistance.

“ I’m really seeking someone’s wisdom that is only achievable with experience because I feel like I am well-educated and knowledgeable about this great game, but need something I can’t describe. ( this is my first post ever here, I hope I did alright )”

If you are sincere you will first read then put into action the information found at DrMikeMarshall.com. This is the only place you will find it. Be patient and look at all the material. You don’t have to use his superior Cro-step wind up.

Any question just ask.