How to pitch to this hitter

So this saturday i came in and relieved for my team and pitched well until the last inning when my fielding behind me just let up, something like 5 errors. But besides that the leadoff guy that inning is a lefty who stood right on the plate and when i through him a ball headed for his shoe he nailed it for a double. How do i pitch to him, he is pretty big and can hit for power.

Sounds like he is a power hitter who likes to turn on the ball, and an inside pitch is his favorite. I recommend throwing off speed down and away. If you are a right handed pitcher, a good circle change could be a very effective pitch against this hitter, as can a back door slider.

What pitches do you have to work with?

hmm. Tough guy it sounds like. What does his stance look like? Is it wide, closed, open?

Since he hit a low ball it sounds like he has a pretty short stance. Also as said before, since it was inside, he turns on inside pitches.

I’d try the circle change low and away like said before, and perhaps the “nolan ryan” style, where you run a fastball way high and inside. Atleast when he sees one come near his face, he may back off a little bit. Also, run a breaking ball inside, inside, and in the dirt where he can’t get to it.

You have to get him off your plate, have your catcher mess with him a little, he can get you a little room by having the ump move him back. Might not work but gets in the hitters head about where he is at in the box.

If he still is all over your plate it’s time for a bean ball. You can’t let a guy own your space like that, the hitters have to have be a little scared about what you can bring inside, no body wants to get hit by a pitch.

He has a slightly wide stance. I have a fastball, circle change and slider to work with

Remember Yogi Berra? He was one of those guys—everybody called him a very good bad-ball hitter, but the fact was that his hand-eye coordination was unbelievable, and he was a hitter who would go after any pitch he thought he might get a piece of, which gave rise to the saying that the only way to pitch to him was to throw the ball under the plate!
Now, this batter you say you’re having a problem with might be one such. Throwing up and in to him might work—sometimes. And you might also try a cutter on this guy—it’s one of the sneakiest pitches in the repertoire, as anyone who has ever struck out or popped up against Mariano Rivera will tell you. One thing to remember—don’t under any circumstances telegraph what you’re going to throw him; it’s entirely possible that he knows what’s coming because he’s reading your grip.
You would do well to have a conference with your catcher; perhaps he’s seeing something that you might have missed, something about this batter that might give you a clue about getting him out. :slight_smile:

Hitters are placed in a specific spot in the batting order for a reason.

The batting order logic is your first place to determine who and what your facing.

The second point to consider is the stance that this guy takes and what that stance adds or subtacts from his swipe across the surface of the plate.

The third is (if you know) how aggressive this player is at the plate - first ball hitter, sit’s on the count, etc. At your level however, this is kind of hard to come by, but it’s worth watching these guys from the pen or when your fielding a position other than pitcher.

And the forth thing that you might want to consider is the placement of the batter’s arms - in particular where his elbows point. Why? Because the elbows will be a indication, most of the time, where that bat is going to take his strong suit, and that you want to stay away from.

All of this is very difficult to advise you, so you have to do a lot of your own homework and note taking. Don’t make the classical mistake of trying to commit this on going experience to memory. Start a notebook and start to draw similarities with batters of the same physique, arm position, stance, place in the batting order and so on.

To help you along, I’ve used the pictures below for years in developing a profile chart of every single guy I’ve ever seen at the plate. Over the years I’ve probably collected a few hundered. But during open season - that’s exactly what I call it when I see a guy at the plate who has exactly or similar style like in my files - it’s open season on this guy.

Best wishes with your baseball experience.

Coach B.

The batter is going to nail you here … stay way!
[size=18]HOT SPOTS[/size]

The batter is going to be weak here … go for it!
[size=18]COLD SPOTS[/size]

But, miss up or down, left or right just a bit and the guy will light you up.

Coach B.