How to lead with your hips

I am a pitcher in HS and am trying to maintain more consistent velocity. I am trying to do this by leading with my hips to create momentum towards home plate. Does anyone have any good videos explaining this concept or can someone explain to me how to lead with your hips in detail?

If you click on the NPA website you’ll find something called the “Hershiser” drill. It aims at getting the hips fully involved, and as such it’s an integral part of what I used to call “The Secret”—something I learned a long time ago.
I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I used to watch the pitchers. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three pitching rotation—Allie Reynolds, Vic Raschi and Ed Lopat—were all doing the same thing; they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and that was how they were getting the power behind their pitches—even Lopat, who was a finesse pitcher with not much speed. They were taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder, so they were throwing harder with less effort. Not a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else in the bunch. This was “The Secret”. I picked up on that, and I practiced it, and I found that I was doing the same thing—also, I was a sidearmer all the way, and I found that my delivery had much more snap to it.
So, if you work on this, you’ll find that it will make a huge difference. :slight_smile:

Don’t know if you can find anything about the Herhiser drill on the NPA site unless you’re a paying member. But search this site as I’ve described it here more than once in the past.