How to land with landing foot toe closed

My son has been working on creating early & better momentum. One of the issues I believe may be hurting him is landing with his toe pointed directly at the plate or slightly open. This is the one issue he’s having difficulty correcting. My belief is the issue originated when he started HS Baseball. He had issues landing slightly on the closed side of the “line” & didn’t have a particularly long stride. Coach made him do the usual mark a line down the center and have him stride out to a specific point. Prior to he landed with toes slightly pointed closed (based on older videos). My belief is the emphsis on striding on the center line and further out led to him reaching with stride foot. He recently attended a well known camp and came away with a plan to clean up a lot of upper body issues and create momentum with his lower body. He’s done a great job of following the plan and has cleaned up a lot of upper body issues. He’s now creating early momentum with his lower body but it’s a work in progress. His contol is now excellent although he’s struggling with consistency with his breaking ball. I believe the reach with the landing leg causes him to open his front hip prior to landing but he can’t seem to change. I also believe its making it difficult for him to get over his front side. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

It’s normal for the hips to start to open right before front foot plant that is usually necessary to allow the front leg/foot to open up into foot plant. How much the hips open up before foot plant depends on the pitcher’s flexibility.

My thoughts are that the HS coach should never have messed with your son’s “closedness”. If your son’s stride length was too short, that’s a separate issue that should have been worked on separately. But, having said that, I’m a firm believer that stride length is a result of other things earlier in the delivery so you don’t directly work on stride length - you work on those other things.

To get away from the front leg reach, consider using the Hershiser drill along with the Cross-over drill.