How To Increase Velocity After Long Injury

Hello,

I am a recent High School graduate, and attending a top JUCO in my state starting Freshman year. This Spring I got an MRI that showed a partially torn UCL, and had to get a PRP injection which resulted in no throwing or lifting for 3 months. Prior to the injury I was hitting 85 consistently, and as of now I can’t touch 80. I have been doing band workouts, long toss, and pitching lessons regularly, and I was wondering if there was anything additional I should be doing to get back up to the mid 80s. This loss of velocity and control has been making me very frustrated.

Thanks,
Rob

Has a qualified doctor confirmed that your arm is definitely back to its pre-injury state? Because if not, that could explain the loss of velocity and control.

Yes we did a 3 month post PCP injection visit and the ligament has been fully restored. I think my main reason for loss of velo is that my mechanics have severely took a beating in the off time (at least that’s what my pitching coach says)

One of the things that can happen is a reluctance, even subconscious reluctance to really let it rip.
Post injury throwing is one thing physically but can be tough mentally.
When you say your mechanics have taken a beating…dont know what that means…have they changed or just out of sync?

Agree with fearsome that the mental side of recovery is equally important as the physical side. Regarding your mechanics, post some video so we can take a look.

I believe that I have gotten over the subconscious fear of “letting it rip”, because I feel like I am throwing my heart out only to see a sub 80s result (partly the reason this is so frustrating). My pitching coach says they have drastically changed. For example, prior to injury, I would stride about 110% of my body height (I’m 6’) due to such an explosive back leg pushing off the rubber. Since my 3 months off my back leg no longer explodes and I’m more so reaching with my front leg so to speak which results in me not staying back. Another main problem I have acquired is that my front foot no longer lands Heel then Toe, but the exact opposite so my front leg does not have any bend when landing. I will post a video of my mechanics the next time I go and throw a bullpen.

Yeah, post a video for sure. Before and after would be great if you could do it that way, if not, that is cool too.
Things like stride length are the results of other things happening (or not happening) earlier in the delivery. You sound tentative to me.
My son injured his back last year in college, was misdiagnosed by a well intentioned but general incompetent “training staff” and it affected his performance and he was cut. He took a couple months off while his back got better/treated. He came back throwing 78 mph, he was sitting 81-82 ish before. Drops can happen, but, any drop from a 3 month lay off should be recaptured relatively quickly I would think. Since then he has trained and is sitting 83 or so touching 85, hoping for more gains before next season starts.
Here is the thing. Before his senior year of high school he hurt his elbow. He was able to play, but, ended up guiding the ball in. His mechanics changed (he was finishing upright, not being explosive etc) subconsciously because he was working from a point of weakness. He didn’t think his mechanics changed, but, his location went away and velo dropped. It was work to get that restored and improved.
Will be interesting to see what video shows.