How to heal quicker after pitching

Does anyone know how I can heal after pitching? I am coming off a injury from 2 years ago and im throwing 30 pitches 60-90 feet and will move back as i get stronger. How can I heal quicker?

Cardio work and proper nutrition.

Be more specific. Are we talking shoulder, elbow, or something else?

Anyway, if the injury happened two years ago, that does change things somewhat. If it was a serious injury, then you have probably accumulated some scar tissue. Because of that it would be more important that you start slowly and work your way up as the affected area returns to pre-injury levels. The timeline would obviously depend on many variables (go see a physical therapist if you want something tailored exactly to your needs).

Im still in physical therapy with one of the best in the state. He just started to have me throw 30 pitches between 60-90 feet. The injury that i have had was medil epicondly. How can I heal the arm including Shoulder/Elbow quicker after I pitch.
My arm feels better then ever before but i still would like to know of ways to Heal Quicker after pitching?

I went to a college camp recently and they said that they have there pitchers do jobbs(sp) and theraband exercises right after the game

There really isn’t much you can do to impact how you heal.

One key is to not overuse the limb or you’ll end up back where you started.

Jobe exercises will strengthen your muscles, but won’t help with a problem with the Medial Epicondyle. That’s a bone problem and bone problems just take time to heal.

thank you chris o leary. But medil Epicondyl is only a bone problem if you injured it reall bad. I had NO damage to the bone. All i had was inflamation that has gone way. Im sopose to be done with Physical Therapy but my doctor Wiggins of Foundry Sports Medicine want me to be as strong as i can be. Everything seams to be going great and i have another scheduled toss of 60-90 feet and 30 throws tomorrow so i will report back then.

I guess I misinterpretted the original question. If you’re asking about how to heal from an injury while continuing to pitch, then you should ask your doctor. If you’re asking about recovery after pitching performances, then my previous reply stands.

I’m a little confused too… Are you looking for a weightlifting/ exercise type answer, or post-pitching soreness relief?

weight lifting is not a baseball exercise. It trains the body to move to slowly and the twitch fibers of the muscle are not taught to move quick enough.
My case is back in the old days when they pitched more innings without injury they didn’t lift. So what they use to do is train the muscle fiber to move quickly.
I was wondering how to heal from throwing and shoulder exercises?

Oh dear sweet Jebus…

How many times do we have to go over this? Bodybuilder weight lifting makes you big and slow. Functional strength training makes you extremely explosive, which is what you need for pitching. I’ve pointed to the case of olympic weight lifters many times. Most of those guys have sprint times similar to olympic sprinters. One guy, at over 300 pounds, has a 36 inch vertical leap (NFL/ NBA caliber) and can dunk a basketball.

Also, your “back in the day” example holds no water. There were guys constantly retiring from “tired arms” due to overuse. With the exception of a few outstanding pitchers, velocity has been steadily increasing with new training methods. 95 miles per hour is not so incredible anymore, but “back in the day” very few guys could bring it that hard. Walter Johnson, Bob Feller, Nolan Ryan, and others were the exceptions. Some guys are gifted with great genetics, which they can maximize with great mechanics. The modern training methods are giving a broader spectrum of guys the means to get up to that elite level.

You do some snatches, clean and jerks, and then come back and we’ll talk.

“Functional strength training” do you know what Functional Training is well I will tell you. Functional is not weight lifting it is throwing on a swiss ball just using your shoulder. Functional means sports related. Example like a runner running is Functional training not doing any kind of weight lifting no matter how much weight is Functional.

I think Roger’s post way above was the best way to recover. Drinking plenty of fluids and getting proper sleep is very, very important, too – especially when recovering from an injury. I think the sleep is often overlooked, but it’s during sleep that the body begins the repair process and cleanses its system.

func·tion·al adjective.

1. Of or relating to a function.
  2. Designed for or adapted to a particular function or use: example - functional architecture.

So when we take this and apply it to strength training, that means you are designing and adapting a protocal for strength as it applies to pitching. Weight lifting is one piece of the puzzle. “Throwing on a swiss ball using only your shoulder” is absolute idiocy. The shoulder is only one link in the chain that you use in pitching. From your toes upward, every link needs to be strong and explosive. You would get 100x more benefit from doing snatches or clean and jerks than you would from that swiss ball movement.
And on another note, running is not strength training. The best runners in the world lift regularly: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tomgreen.htm

Just the facts… :roll:

now the swiss ball thing was something I did in part of my physical therapy. Show me what studys say that weight lifting help pitching. Now weight lifting is bad for baseball because its to slow of a motion and it doesnt help in the flexiblity department.

RIStar, you have to get over this weight lifting thing. When done right, it is NOT bad for pitching. Nobody is telling you to do a slow, controlled bench press here.

And let’s say that even IF weight lifting doesn’t necessarily help with velocity, making it through an entire season, especially at the highest level, is impossible to do without losing some strength. That’s why it is necessary to have an in season maintenance weight lifting program.

That’s the thing with weight lifting, it’s not all velocity based. Everyone wants to attack things and say that they don’t give them velocity, but what good is it if you can’t maintain your velocity at the end of the season. That’s where workout programs come in.

Wow! I guess you’ve never done power cleans, snatches, or even clean pulls before (oh, wait, those are slow and controlled movements, huh)? OR, better yet, I guess weightlifting should be thrown out all together, and that teams shouldn’t implemate as part of their program? Hmm, gathering from my experience, it has helped me out, but that must be a placebo effect… Better yet, my recovery from pitching was much better when I was continuing to lift inseason, not to mention, I’m much faster, and quicker then what I used to be.

I’m going to say it right now, who cares out by studies? There are plenty of people out there who would be willing to offer there feedback to oppose your theory regarding weight lifting is bad for pitchers.

Better yet, why is it that more pitcher are throwing 90 plus nowadays, then compared to the past? Why does roger clemens continue to do it? Placebo? According to you, and reading between the lines, yes…

No offense, but get over yourself… You would probably earn more respect around here if you didn’t let your ego influence your posting…

Look, I don’t mean to be harsh, or stignitize you any way, shape, or form, but man, learn to keep an open mind about things. From a maturity stand point, you’ll earn a lot more respect if you’re willing to listen, and offer constructive feed back regarding certain topics. From reading some of your posts from the past, you need to have a better grasp of communicating your ideas to the forum.

Here’s one example: http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1371&highlight=bench+press

[size=9][quote]WHAT HAPPENS IN A GAME: CLINICAL RESEARCH
An interesting study was performed by Potteiger, et al [1] in which they measured several physiological and bio-chemical responses experienced by pitchers during the course of pitching a game. Six college-age men with varsity pitching experience at the collegiate level participated in the study. They pitched a simulated game of seven innings, with 14 pitches per inning. The subjects were given a six minute rest period before beginning their next inning, and were encouraged to exert their normal level of effort with each pitch. The following indices were measured, pre and post performance:

1. Heart rate.

2. Blood lactate (a by-product of lactic acid).*

3. Serum glucose.

4. Free fatty acids.

5. Oxygen consumption (VO2).*

In addition, 24 hours later, serum creatine kinase (CK)* and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH)* were analyzed as an indicator of skeletal muscle damage. For our purposes in this report, the items marked with the (*) are the ones I want to discuss further.

6. Lactic acid levels were unchanged between pre-exercise values and post game measurements.

7. VO2 was equal to 45% of maximum.

8. A significant difference for both CK and LDH existed between the pre-exercise and 24 hours-post-exercise values.

Discussion:

9. Lactic acid levels did not change through the course of the game from their pre-game values. This makes sense, because pitching is not the type of activity that generates lactic acid. The burning feeling one gets in the muscles during intense weight lifting or sprinting is never felt by a pitcher.

In fact, Vern Gambetta, Director of Athletic Development for the New York Mets and former Director of Conditioning for the Chicago White Sox refers to baseball as an “alactic-anaerbobic” activity, meaning that no lactic acid is produced. At a minimum, any lactic acid that may be produced during the act of pitching is easily cleared by the body, so its production is not a limiting factor in pitching performance.

The phosphagen energy system provides energy for sports activities that last several seconds and is involved in all forms of exercise regardless of intensity [2]. This includes baseball and softball pitching. Phosphagen replenishment occurs within 20 to 30 seconds. This means that after 20 seconds of rest following a pitch, the main energy system used for pitching is re-charged and ready to go again. This allows for the many and repeated pitches thrown by baseball and softball pitchers.

1. VO2, expressed as a percentage of maximum uptake, means that the pitchers were working at a level equal to 45% of their capacity - not very high. According to the authors, it is believed that this level of oxygen uptake during the work period (pitching) is for the purpose of resynthesizing ATP and PC (phosphagen) stores.

What this means in a practical sense is that oxidative (aerobic) activities contribute little to conditioning for the act of pitching. Excessive aerobic training, such as long, slow distance (LSD) running or lots of time on an exercise bike will allow a pitcher to perform at an even lower percentage of VO2 max. This will help the pitcher who decides to enter a 10K or marathon, but will do nothing for their pitching performance. Aerobic capacity is certainly not a limiting factor in pitching performance.

Aerobic training can be useful as the foundation of a ballplayer’s conditioning regimen, but spending more than 10-15 minutes, 2-3 days/week for this purpose is a waste of valuable training time. One exception to this rule would be after an extended pitching appearance. An easy run of about 15 minutes duration can help in recovery, getting the blood flowing to deliver needed nutrients to the damaged muscles and tendons that have been strenuously exerted, as well as helping to “wash out” any waste metabolites generated during this physical activity.

Long slow distance running is also a very poor way of developing leg strength, something that is valuable for a pitcher to have. The act of pitching occurs in a very short timeframe, not continuous and long lasting as occurs with LSD running. Pitching is more analogous to a single rep of a plyometric exercise using the legs. Consider the muscular development and strength of the legs of marathon runners versus 100 meter sprinters. Baseball & softball players are aiming for something in between these two extremes. Finally, LSD training can detract from strength and power development, so keep this activity to a minimum as discussed above.

10. CK and LDH values were significantly elevated 24 hours after exercise. According to other investigators, this may be an indicator of skeletal muscle damage. In fact, LDH levels in the blood are used to make a diagnosis of heart attack, which is damaged heart muscle. Eccentric muscle contractions (muscle contraction while the muscle is lengthening) that commonly occur during pitching cause greater mechanical stress leading to an increased release of CK and LDH enzymes into the blood.

Eccentric contractions occur during pitching in two main muscle groups: A) The muscles of the legs contract eccentrically after pushing off the pitching rubber and completing the stride. B) The muscles of the arm contract eccentrically (particularly the shoulder - external rotators) during the deceleration (after ball release) phase of the pitch.

The pitchers in this study each threw 98 pitches, a not excessive number. Yet this workload was rigorous enough to elicit elevated readings of indicators of muscle damage. Clearly some rest is warranted between extended pitching appearances. Continuing to work at maximum or near-maximum intensity not only puts the body into a catabolic state, it also does not allow time for rest and proper nutrition to make their contributions to the recovery process. The body actually develops and adapts to the stimulus of a hard workout (like pitching) during the REST period between bouts of strenuous activity.
    [/quote][/size]

[quote]More specifically, Potteiger suggests that pitchers train primarily for power development:

“Activities such as sprint and interval training, resistance training and plyometrics
should dominate the majority of time spent in conditioning sessions.”
[/quote]
*Potteiger, J.A., D. L. Blessing, and G. D. Wilson. The Physiological Responses to a Single Game of Baseball Pitching. Exercise Physiology Laboratory, Department of Health and Human Performance, Auburn University, Auburn University, Auburn, AL. Journal of Applied Sport Science Research Vol 6, Number 1, pp. 11-18. 1992