How to get better acuracy

Hey. I’m a high schooler who plays for his town. I’m usually put in to pitch a few innings every game or two, but lately I’ve had trouble finding the stike zone. My coach keeps tellin me that I’m not keeping my elbow up. I try to bring it up but Im still lacking good acuracy. Any tips?

Regardless of arm angle, the elbow should be on a level with the shoulder, neither higher nor lower. It may be that your elbow is too low, which would account for your control problems, and you should get it up to shoulder level. That would certainly help.
As for working on control—here’s something I used to do when I was a little snip, and for some years afterward when I was playing on a regular basis. I would get a catcher, and either he would mark off a home plate and a pitcher’s rubber at the requisite 60’6" distance (the only trouble with doing this with chalk is that the markings are too easily scuffed into oblivion!), or if we could get to a playing field that wasn’t being used I would take the mound and he would get back behind the plate. We then would play a little game we called “ball and strike”, the purpose of which was to sharpen one’s control; the catcher would position his mitt in various places—high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head (:lol:), and I would work on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt, which is what one is supposed to do—throw to the mitt, which is your intended target. And what a good satisfying feeling it was when the ball hit that target! This was more than a mere drill; it was a great workout and lots of fun, and what I would do from time to time was have someone stand in the batter’s box (either side) so I could really zero in on the strike zone—which in my day was a lot bigger than it is now. Believe me, there is no better way to fine-tune one’s control.
One thing my old pitching coach told me was to stay away from the middle of the plate unless you could blow one by the hitter with a 97MPH fast ball, which I most definitely did not have. I was a snake-jazzer, and he showed me how to make the most of all that delicious breaking stuff I had. My best pitches were: #1, a slider which I nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” after a character in an old W.C. Fields movie because that was exactly what it was, with a sharp late break; #2, a very good knuckle-curve which would come in there looking like a fast ball and then suddenly drop like a stone to either side. Not to mention a whole closet full of changeups of various sorts. No, I did not have a fast ball, but then I didn’t need it because I had a lot of stuff—and the control and command to go with it. Now, I don’t know what kind of stuff you have, but you might to well to add an extra pitch to your arsenal once you get your control under control. ( :slight_smile:

Thanks. I’ve been working on my curve, knuckle, and knuckle-curve, too. Again I have trouble with acuracy. Just a little worse. I’ll do what u said, and just focus on my acuracy for my fastball.

Knuckleball huh? If you’re working on that sucker and you need some help PM me.