How to gain velocity at 13 years old

im 13 years old and i do push ups and squats ever night and im not seeing real good gain of velocity.i can throw 65-72.but i do see little gain on my velocity.pease replie

I’m going to let you in on a little secret, one I learned many moons ago. You have to get your whole body into the action. Here goes.
When I was a kid I used to go to Yankee Stadium, the original ballpark, every chance I got, and I would concentrate on the pitchers and what they were doing. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three—Vic Raschi, Allie Reynolds and Ed Lopat—were all doing the same thing: they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso to generate the power behind their pitches. In doing so they all took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder; the arm was just going along for the ride, so to speak. I watched them and I saw just how they were doing this, and I made a mental note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential aspect of mechanics—and believe me, it is essential—I noticed that I was throwing harder—and faster—than I had been doing before; I was getting more power behind my pitches and more speed into my delivery; and it did indeed take a lot of pressure off my arm and my shoulder. (How not to get a sore arm.)
And I was surprised to find that I acquired an 81-mile-an-hour pitch, a good four-seamer that my pitching coach (the aforementioned Ed Lopat) told me was, for a finesse pitcher such as I was, a fast ball!
There are some drills and exercises you can do to work on getting your lower half, and consequently your entire body, into your windup and delivery. Tom House has one he calls the “Hershiser drill” which you can look up and work with. One thing—don’t change your arm angle, whatever it is, if you’re comfortable with it. I was a natural sidearmer who used the crossfire extensively, and I was able to keep the ball down in the strike zone. Won tons of games that way. So, go to it, and best of luck. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher: