How to drive with your hips?

im not sure what people mean when the say drive yours front hip towards the catcher. i usaly just keep my front shoulder and my front hip closed and then open both of them at the same time. is that right?

when you drive your hip at the target it means you are little behind the front hip intill foot plant.

also to show good hip drive you would want to not be falling off to one side or the other instead you want everything going at the catcher and not lef or right im going to start to work on that.

You literally stick your front hip out sideways and get it moving toward the target. The idea is to get it moving early and fast as this builds momentum and creates energy that is transferred up through the body and out to the ball. Ideally you want to get the hips going before your knee reaches the apex of your knee lift. And you can’t shorten your knee lift just because you feel like you’ll fall down. Instead you have to force your stride leg to be faster getting out to foot plant. You also need to make sure you maintain good posture. While your head and shoulders will stay behind your front hip into foot plant, you shouldn’t be leaning way back.

[quote=“ncbb14”]i usaly just keep my front shoulder and my front hip closed and then open both of them at the same time. is that right?[/quote]No, that is the opposite what you need to do. The hips must rotate BEFORE the shoulders, setting up a stretch of the muscles and connective tissues of the torso. That “load” sets up a more powerful “unload” of the shoulders. Pitching is a chain of events where energy is transferred from one to the next, up the chain from the ground up. The term you’ll see used to describe it is “kinetic chain”. I read once where Paul Nyman said that the connection or link from one part of the chain to the next should happen at the point of maximum velocity of the preceding one. So, the timing in high level pitchers is impeccable in this regard.

[quote]The hips must rotate BEFORE the shoulders, setting up a stretch of the muscles and connective tissues of the torso. That “load” sets up a more powerful “unload” of the shoulders.[/quote]Almost…the stretch load of the waist is to be able to unload the waist. That unload transfers up the body as a start of rotation of the upper torso where other loads of the upper torso (shoulders and associated parts) will be unloaded if they’ve been loaded properly to begin with :wink: .

would have a higher leg lift help drive with my hips more. because i tryed it today and it felt a lot better.

Yes because part of the “getting the hips going” equation is leading with the front hip a bit longer into the stride.