How to dominate?

I throw around 65 and am a sophomore in highschool, I am wondering how I could be dominating and perhaps pitch on varsity next year? here are my current JV stats, also I throw a changeup, and curveball along with 2 seam, 4 seam fastball

W-L= 2-3
IP- 20 H- 22 BB- 15 HR- 0 ER- 13 K- 26 ERA: 5.85

Start off by not walking so many (It means challenging hitters…in the zone at their weakness with your strength), next condition yourself and drive up your velocity, as you do it, you will get more and more confident in what you bring to the table, that confidence will translate into success, success will translate into reputation and before you know it, you’ll be described as a dominating pitcher.
No quick fixes here, be determined and comitted and believe in yourself and your skills…I’ve heard many, many times that the largest part of being a great pitcher is to present calm confidence on the bump.

u can be a good pitcher but dont think youll be considered dominate. being dominate is usually described as a pitcher that hitters fear and dont wana face because they dont think they can hit them and are scared to hit them. slower pitchers can be effective but nobodys gana fear hitting them even if they strike out. here are some dominating pitchers…john smoltz, joba chamberlain, mariano rivera, josh beckett…they all have mixtures of control and velocity. also having offspeed pitches so that there velocity looks even more hard to see(with exception of rivera who dominates because of so much movment on a 95mph fastball)

[quote=“jamesh23”]I throw around 65 and am a sophomore in highschool, I am wondering how I could be dominating and perhaps pitch on varsity next year? here are my current JV stats, also I throw a changeup, and curveball along with 2 seam, 4 seam fastball

W-L= 2-3
IP- 20 H- 22 BB- 15 HR- 0 ER- 13 K- 26 ERA: 5.85[/quote]

Stop walkin so many people, and keep it down in the zone.

a dominate pitcher gets three outs before the other team scores a run. if they do score, they don’t score runs in bunches. most consider dominate pitchers hard throwers that people fear. i don’t and i’ll give you an example.

who is more dominant, greg maddux, or farnsworth who throws 100 and can’t get anyone out.

also there is a guy names bert blylevine that no one talks about but the guys in the day hated to face because he would get you with the curveball (watch costner in bull durham coach the rookie fireballer). blylevine had what is considered the best curveball ever and he is not a household name to most baseball fans. the guy was nails.

if you want to be dominant, you must throw strikes. i keep stats of my son and we record how many first pitch strikes he throws, how many times 2 of the first 3 pitches are strikes, and most important, how many 1-1 pitches are strikes. if you can’t throw the 1-1 pitch for a strike 60 to75% of the time, you will have trouble winning. start there.

Glavine dominates and he doesnt throw very hard. Stu Miller was a dominant closer known for “slowing them to death.” Tommy John got gound ball out after groundball out-he was dominant, very dominant. He rarely struck anyone out.

Seriously, throw strikes!If you cant do that, you wont even get mound time. The guy that closes for us in two innings threw 17 strikes and 3 balls.
He is medium fast with a nasty breaking ball and a good sinker, Ian.

[quote=“ian demagi”]Glavine dominates and he doesnt throw very hard. Stu Miller was a dominant closer known for “slowing them to death.” Tommy John got gound ball out after groundball out-he was dominant, very dominant. He rarely struck anyone out.

Seriously, throw strikes!If you cant do that, you wont even get mound time. The guy that closes for us in two innings threw 17 strikes and 3 balls.
He is medium fast with a nasty breaking ball and a good sinker, Ian.[/quote]

Getting ground out’s is not dominant. Striking out two people on six strikes like papelbon is dominant. Your just good if you get a lot of ground balls. If your dominant, the hitters can’t even make contact on a lot of your pitches, i.e. you pitch to K not to ground out.

Kyle Farnsworth was wicked (Still is) fast and I don’t think that you’d say he has dominated, while 2 slow guys Maddux and Glavine have a car trunk full of metal that said they were the very best (Dominated their league) for more years than likely you have been sucking air. Gaylord Perry dominated by subterfuge, so did Satchel Paige, now true Nolan Ryan was greatly quick…but with a nearly .500 W/L he only dominated half the time…It’s all how you say potato…but you cannot take away what the brilliant slow guys have done…they dominated…and it surely ticked off a whole bunch of folks…I mean they weren’t throwing 100…Mike Marshall and Bruce Sutter won a Cy Youngs doing what J. Pap does…don’t get me wrong Beckett dominates, but so does Brandon Webb.

[quote=“Lizard King”][quote=“ian demagi”]Glavine dominates and he doesnt throw very hard. Stu Miller was a dominant closer known for “slowing them to death.” Tommy John got gound ball out after groundball out-he was dominant, very dominant. He rarely struck anyone out.

He is medium fast with a nasty breaking ball and a good sinker, Ian.[/quote]

Getting ground out’s is not dominant. Striking out two people on six strikes like papelbon is dominant. Your just good if you get a lot of ground balls. If your dominant, the hitters can’t even make contact on a lot of your pitches, i.e. you pitch to K not to ground out.[/quote]Lizard King…that is a terrible comment, how is getting ground ball outs not dominant??? there are different types of pitchers- power pitchers and more of a control pitcher, now you can split those two parts up into two types of pitchers. groundball pitchers and strikeout pitchers…control pitcher who gets groundballs- gregg maddux, control pitcher who gets k’s- barry zito used to, look at josh beckett, power pitcher, gets quite a few strikeouts, but look at his groundball to fly ball ratio, i have a feeling its pretty much leaning towards more groundballs than flyballs dominate- be in control…thats a definition from dictionary.com…groundball after groundball is in control also, if your a strikeout pitcher, your going to be throwing a lot of pitches and struggling to get to the 8th inning, groundball pitchers can get an out or two by throwing 5 or 6 pitches…when thats almost a full at bat for a pitcher who goes for k’s…think about it

Thank you!

Ground balls earned Webb a Cy Young the year before last. Ground balls have him 6-0 so far this season.

To a certain extent, this is just semantics. But any pitcher who gets outs and wins games - regardless of how they do it - is dominant in my book.

Webb doesn’t get the press (West Coaster) but he’s been on my list…I hate when my free swingin Cubbies get usually shut out by him.

dom·i·nate (dm-nt)
v. dom·i·nat·ed, dom·i·nat·ing, dom·i·nates
v.tr.

1. To control, govern, or rule by superior authority or power: Successful leaders dominate events rather than react to them.
  2. To exert a supreme, guiding influence on or over: Ambition dominated their lives.
  3. To enjoy a commanding, controlling position in: a drug company that dominates the tranquilizer market.
  4. To overlook from a height: a view from the cliffside chalet that dominates the valley.
    v.intr.
  5. To have or exert strong authority or mastery.
  6. To be situated in or occupy a position that is more elevated or decidedly superior to others.

…i mean ya the definition is just to control but as for me i will always see a dominating pitcher as a pitcher that when people step to the plate there scared not only that theyll strike out but also that theyll get hit. i see it more as striking fear into hitters before the first pitch is even thrown…i see glavine as not dominate only because of velocity, i dont think to many people go up to plate being scared of glavine. even though they cant hit him they still believe they can just because of how well you see the ball from a slow pitcher…either one is right because by definition dominate is to control…and stop with the farnsworth please hes not dominate because batters know that he’ll serve them up at least 2 homerun balls in each sequence.

A foul blow on a close friend of Steven’s :shock:
97 mph was what I was refering to…Kyle would certainly make me pee down my leg if I stepped into the box against him, so he’d so nuff dominate me :wink: Just that Big Poppy and Man Ram send it out as quickly as it gets broughten…must have a tad bit more than REAL DAGGONE FAST to be that magical dominating pitcher.

work on your speed and hitting corners. Also try to change speeds and locations.

Make that 7-0! :wink:

:ole:

Gloating is appropriate!
And still you don’t hear the name…If I’m the Yankees…Well I’m loading up a train full-o-cash and players to be named later and rollin into Zona
with an offer no one could refuse. (Cubs fans love to start rumors like this in the hopes that by saying it, it comes true…He’d like the American Leadue a bunch more…none of that pesky hitting and all…and who wouldn’t want to play in New York :shock: :puking: )

Actually, Webb has a couple hits already including a double. And he’s got a couple RBIs and he’s scored a couple runs as well.

Change location and speed and keep it down in the zone. Always work on accuracy