How to approach my coach...lineup situation i'm unhappy with

This involves the batting lineup. I don’t want to come across in a bad way or a selfish way but I feel I should be batting in the top 5 in the order, and I was batting 7th in the first game of the season…Maybe some of you have been in the same situation and could give suggestions on how to handle it

Let me explain why I feel this way, last season was my first year on this team and I started out batting 8th in the lineup. I was cool with that the first game because i was new blood and hadn’t earned anything. So a few weeks go by and I’m hitting well and I earn the leadoff spot from our CF. So i’m batting leadoff up until the all star break, successful, high average, steals, and 3 homeruns.
The league has a all star break type weekend, where a few teams get together and we join a 4th of july tourney and try to win it…well the game before this tournament i was still batting leadoff, i had a solid game and in my final at bat before this all star break i hit a HR…So i’m happy, the teams doing good, everything’s good…

So we come back from this All Star break and i’m in the 8 spot again…I don’t know what to think, i’ve earned my spot, I out hit the first leadoff guy…Well nobody out hit me, I didn’t perform badly, I dont understand how my spot gets taken away.

So here we are again a few weeks later I earn my leadoff spot back again, and I keep the spot throughout the playoffs.

So the season’s over and it’s now April of this year, 2006…our first game of the new season and guess where I’m at? 7th! Guess who is batting first, a new guy who wasn’t even on the team last year, he played fast pitch softball with the coach! I didn’t say anything at any of these points to the coach. I’m tired of earning my spot by hitting better then everyone, and then losing it to nobody for no apparent reason. So I batted 7th the first game of the weekend, and I hit horrible which is unlike me, I struck out three times which is almost as much as I did all of last season.

Some people say it doesn’t matter where you bat in the lineup but i truely believe it does. I feel I’m one of the better hitters in the league, and I feel I’ve proven it and then to bat in the bottom of the order it makes me put this extra pressure on myself to succeed, I don’t feel as comfortable just going up to hit the ball, thinking to myself I gotta go 4-4 so I can’t get back in my spot.

I don’t wanna demand I get my spot back, but how can I bring this up to my coach without looking like an arrogant unhappy guy. I feel I’ve earned my role in the lineup and I really wasn’t happy about this new guy coming in and taking over my spot when he didn’t earn it, and on top of that I didn’t lose it. I hit great in the playoffs last year, the year as a whole in 2005.

Thanks for taking the time to read a lengthy post.

the only thing i can think of is that he is trying to make you get better, push you a little harder so you can get that one extra hit, steal, run per game, keep working hard, and guess what, it dosent matter where you hit because most of the time, your going to get the same number of at bats as the lead off guy, keep working hard man, it’ll pay off

to me it definetly does, that’s my whole point of this post…I go up to bat with a different mind frame, I can’t relax…Albert Pujols isn’t gonna be batting 7th, and I’m not Albert Pujols, but I do feel I’m unquestionably one of the top 3 hitters on my team and based on the two years i’ve been on the team i’ve been the only consistent leadoff man

I earn my spot time and time again when we’re playing continously then we have these little breaks, and I all of a sudden lose my spot for no reason…I would not have a single problem at all if I slumped and someone outperformed me, but that’s not the case

I had the highest team average, tied for the most homeruns, and I didn’t keep track of stolen bases but I’d imagine I had the lead in that category as well…I just take it like a smack in the face hitting in the bottom because I feel I’ve earned my spot in the top

Do you want some cheese with that whine?

Forget the order and do your best everytime you’re at bat!!!

[quote=“LFRoberts5”]Do you want some cheese with that whine?

Forget the order and do your best everytime you’re at bat!!![/quote]

:roll:
do we have any mods here?

There’s really not much you can do in a situation like this, other then continue to hit the ball well, and you’ll eventually earn your spot back. It sucks, but that’s the way life is sometimes. If you feel as if you earned that spot, talk with the coach after practice and ask what you can do to earn your old spot back. Basically, from what I read, I think it’s garbage that he did that to you, but there’s really not much you can do other then continue to play hard day in and day out. I had the same problem last year, but mine dealt with being a designated hitter, which I hated. I never performed well as a DH, but it seemed like everytime I played my position-I did well. Next day, DH! :x

All you can do is continue to play well, Taylor. If you make lots of noise (figuratively) from the 7th spot, playing like you said you have been in your post, you will end up back in the top 5. Maybe your coach is using this as a motivator? Who knows.
But if you are really bothered by this, I would go up to your coach when nobody else is around and respectfully ask him. Don’t start quoting your stat sheet from last year, just say “Coach, I was wondering why you have me in the 7th spot this year?” Let him give you his complete answer and take to heart what he says. Then you can say, “Well, I was really comfortable when you moved me to leadoff last year. If its possible, I would really like to be back in that spot.” Thats all.
The coach might have some good reasons for putting you at the seventh spot. Sometimes you end up having the bottom part of the lineup at bat with men on base, and the coach wants to leave some pop down in the order. Also, about the Albert Pujols reference. Ryan Howard was the Rookie of the Year last year and he has been batting 6th in the order. Bill Mueller is a former batting champ and he bats 7th. You can produce from any spot in the order, not just the top five.

Good Luck Taylor

[quote=“kc86”]All you can do is continue to play well, Taylor. If you make lots of noise (figuratively) from the 7th spot, playing like you said you have been in your post, you will end up back in the top 5. Maybe your coach is using this as a motivator? Who knows.
But if you are really bothered by this, I would go up to your coach when nobody else is around and respectfully ask him. Don’t start quoting your stat sheet from last year, just say “Coach, I was wondering why you have me in the 7th spot this year?” Let him give you his complete answer and take to heart what he says. Then you can say, “Well, I was really comfortable when you moved me to leadoff last year. If its possible, I would really like to be back in that spot.” Thats all.
The coach might have some good reasons for putting you at the seventh spot. Sometimes you end up having the bottom part of the lineup at bat with men on base, and the coach wants to leave some pop down in the order. Also, about the Albert Pujols reference. Ryan Howard was the Rookie of the Year last year and he has been batting 6th in the order. Bill Mueller is a former batting champ and he bats 7th. You can produce from any spot in the order, not just the top five.

Good Luck Taylor[/quote]

i’d love to have bobby abreu, chase utley, jd drew, and jeff kent on my team :slight_smile:

It seems that you mentally associated that the lower in the batting order that a person is reflects their batting ability. If I was you I would truly take this opportunity to make yourself more mentally tough and get this sort of association out of your mind. It has already gotten to the point that it is effecting your hitting ability. The old cliche “Baseball is 90% mental”. Look at it this way, if the first three batters get out, the next inning is a whole new batting order and this continues through out the game. Through out the course of the game you are going to end up in the top 5 of the batting order. Get psyched up for that opportunity and make the best of it.

I know all people are different, but I love batting 9th. I play HS baseball and I switch off between 1st and 9th. I prefer 9th. As 9th hitter you get way more fastballs because they want an out before the top of the order comes up. You defiantly don’t get as much junk. I’m one of the only 3 second year players but I would rather bat 9th and have one of the other guys leadoff. There has always been a night and day difference in how I perform in the two spots and this year its the same way. I know this is a small sample, but I was spread out over a few different games. (I described the Pitchers just as background-Avg Fastball speed, Off speed (A,B,C,D,F))

Batting Leadoff
AB #1-(Fastball-mid 70’s, Off Speed-B)-Fly Out to RF (approx 230 ft.)
AB #2-(Fastball-mid 70’s, Off Speed-B)-Fly Out to RF (approx 260 ft.)
AB #3-(Fastball-mid 70’s, Off Speed-A)-Walk
AB #4-(Fastball-mid 70’s, Off Speed-A)-Swinging Strikeout

Batting 9th
AB #1-(Fastball-low 80’s, Off Speed-C)-RBI Single up the middle
AB #2-(Fastball-low 80’s, Off Speed-C)-Bullet line drive single to LF
AB #3-(Fastball-upper 60’s, Off Speed C)-Looking strikeout

Plus, the batting order really only matters in the 1st inning.

Doesn’t sound like your case but I’ve often used one of my best hitters down in the order. He doesn’t hit the curve that well but he hammers fastballs. He’s a little guy with more pop than people realize. If I’ve got him hitting near the top of the order they play him deeper and he gets more curves. When he’s down in the order he gets more fastballs and they play him shallow. He’s gotten several triples hitting down in the order despite not having great wheels.

As a player you need to respect all decisions the coach makes as he is the coach. The only thing you can do is perform your best, hope he recognizes your success and makes adjusments accordingly.

I was always the 3B or SS and starting pitcher on ALL my teams up until this year on JV’s. Im a sophomore who didnt make it last year because 1)In previous tryouts I acted like an idiot and 2)Coaches remember those previous tryouts and rightfully hold it against me. I was slated to be RF and “mop-up” duty pitcher against non-league teams, or games that dont count towards your record, per se. Now, after throwing 3 innings giving up only 1 hit while K’ing 5 and walking none, I am relieving some of our most important games against big rivals.

Moral of the story, whether the coach recognizes how well you perform or not, the bottom line is that you know. Coaches DO tend to pick favorites and its something we as players all must deal with. But, if your having success, just forget about where in the lineup your hitting because at the end of the day, hopefully your team won and you went 3-3 and batting 7th in the order didnt really make a difference.

You cant worry about things like where you hit in the order baseballs a team sport and unless the coach is a total stiff hes going to make the decisions he needs to for the team to win. Just think of the kids who dont see the field at all i bet you they all sit there and say “im better than that kid playing that position but the coach has something against me” yeah u got the numbers to back it up but its the coachs decision you just gotta live with it and keep the same mindframe. The game should be about winning and if your complaining about things like the batting order its gonna bring that kind of selfish attitude to the rest of the team. Instead of complaining go up to the plate with a purpose like every at bat u wanna prove something.

I undertand the frustration. That is only natural, but be appreciative you are even batting…or on the team for that matter. I would keep this frustration to yourself and not let your teammates or coaches know.

Until you are intentionally walked every time at the plate, or the community you live in come up with a petition in getting you moved up a couple spots, I would leave this alone and let your coach do his job.

the point is winning…and since i’m getting the job done, i don’t see how me batting low in the order is making us any better…

sadly nothing has changed that i know of because we haven’t played since that first game…it’s sunny all week and then rains every saturday…it’s supposed to be raining this saturday as well and that would make it a month since our first series

I think if you are hitting well you should ask your coach why you are batting 7th. But don’t go asking him like if you were whinning… just ask him. Tell him you feel like you can be more productive by hitting up on the order…

But listen to him. Also don’t say anything about the guy that took your place on the lineup. Just ask why YOU were moved not why the guy is batting where you were supposed to be.

And of course keep working hard, keep hitting, keep training. Don’t let the spot where you hit affect your game. Just keep hitting, stealing the bases whatever you did when you had your spot on the lineup and your coach will eventually decide where you fit the best.

the more you think about it the more its gonna effect you. just go out and produce and everyone will see you deserve to be moved up and so will your coach and unless he has some personal problem with you hes gonna move you up. If you are gonna confront your coach like other people have said just ask him why u were moved down but keeps ne comments about the kid hitting in that spot to yourself. whatever he says the reason is bust your butt to prove that you can overcome it.

initially after the first week when i posted this i decided not to say anything

another new guy came and was batting 2nd in his first game who had never even played in this league before and i just had to say something because i’ve been crushing the ball

ever since i was little you always EARNED your spot and if you lost your spot it’s because you played like crap and someone outplayed you, that simply isn’t the case this year and after 6 games I just felt i had to say something…I should know what he has to say tomorrow morning

We’ve only played 6 games to this point and I’ve been batting low in the order, i’ve been hitting as good as all but 2 other guys on my team. We played two games last saturday, I almost hit a walkoff homer in the first game (off the top of the fence in the bottom of 8th…only a double…then i stole 3rd and nobody could get me home), i scored our first and only run (before we won in extras) early that game and i stole 4 bases…the 2nd game i moved DOWN a spot in the order. The other team still showed me respect, they did not throw me a single fastball in 4 at bats in that second game after I hit the ball off the fence, not a one. I got walked once, struckout once, hit a 2 RBI double, and got hit by a pitch.

After that 2nd game i just had to say something…whether it’s right or wrong I just feel theres no way I should be batting low in the order based on my production last year and this year