How should your feet be while doing a sac bunt?

When you are doing a sac bunt how should your feet be?
Toes pointing at the pitcher?

As long as the head and shoulders are square to the pitcher, that’s what matters. Toes could be facing any direction, but usually, yes, facing the pitcher. I don’t teach squaring the entire body. I have them bunt the same way for a hit or a sac. Squaring the body doesn’t make bunting any more effective. Keep your feet in place and just pivot them toward the pitcher.

The bat should be held level at the top of the zone. If it’s over the bat, it’s a ball.

Moving forward in the box gives a better chance of keeping the bunt in fair territory.
Get the arms out in front and let the ball hit the bat. I also don’t teach “catching” the ball with the bat. No need to deaden the ball and it usually leads to foul balls when the bat is moving away from the ball.

Bunt strikes. Bend at the knees to adjust down. Keep the bat level and bunt the top half of the ball. Direct the ball by using the bottom hand as a tiller. Knob pointing to third base for bunts to first. Bat head pointing to first base for bunts to third.

Great question.

In short, the front foot should be slightly open and the core or torso square to the pitcher. I teach the proper way to bunt religiously and I am not a fan of simply pivoting to the pitcher. The left foot slightly open will put the player in a good and consistent position to get the bunt down. Remember, it’s important to teach the player to bunt strikes and to bend in the knees if the ball is at the bottom of the strike zone. Butting is easy if the proper mechanics are taught. The barrel of the bat should always stay above the ball.

Good luck and happy bunting with your son.

Alex
coachposting.com

[quote=“CoachPaul”]As long as the head and shoulders are square to the pitcher, that’s what matters. Toes could be facing any direction, but usually, yes, facing the pitcher. I don’t teach squaring the entire body. I have them bunt the same way for a hit or a sac. Squaring the body doesn’t make bunting any more effective. Keep your feet in place and just pivot them toward the pitcher.

The bat should be held level at the top of the zone. If it’s over the bat, it’s a ball.

Moving forward in the box gives a better chance of keeping the bunt in fair territory.
Get the arms out in front and let the ball hit the bat. I also don’t teach “catching” the ball with the bat. No need to deaden the ball and it usually leads to foul balls when the bat is moving away from the ball.

Bunt strikes. Bend at the knees to adjust down. Keep the bat level and bunt the top half of the ball. Direct the ball by using the bottom hand as a tiller. Knob pointing to third base for bunts to first. Bat head pointing to first base for bunts to third.[/quote]
Exactly this.