How Old is too Old for College?

Whats the usual age for college students wanting to play Baseball.

I’m a little confused by your question. What exactly are you trying to ask?

Most HS aged kids dream about playing College Baseball it’s not as though they get into College and all of a sudden desire to play College Ball, it’s something that has been a work in process for many since they were in the 8th grade.

Most College Freshman are 18/19 and then play for the next 4-5 years depending upon redshirting, eligibility and being drafted.

On the flip side I know of guys who have played in Summer Leagues who were in their mid 20s that have been offered scholarships to play for smaller Colleges. These cases are few in far between but they have been known to happen.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Just adding to what Wales said. The normal age has to be 18/19 years old to start playing college ball and they usually play till they’re about 22-24 (or earlier due to be drafted of course, injury, or some other circumstance. I’ve never heard of someone out of the age range playing in a D1 school, than again its not like I know the ages of every guy playing D1 so its possible there are, just not to my knowledge. However, my brother personally played D2 with a guy who was like late 20s early 30s. He had gone to school back when he was younger and played 3 years. Than he left his school for whatever reason when he was 21. Than when he was like 30 he decided he wanted to use his one more year of eligibility and came and walked on at my brothers school (which wasn’t the school he originally attended). So yeah nothings written in stone as far as age is concerned. I mean if I was a coach and a 40 year old man came to try out and was throwing 95, would I not take him because of his age? No I would definitely take him because he’s going to help my team win. Age is only a number my friend.

Exactly!

Look at Jim Morris in the movie The Rookie, dude was 35 throwing 98 when he signed a contract.

Not to mention he was a lefty throwing 98 at age 35!

Spot on Wales! Jim Morris is a perfect example!

Problem is after the age of 25 you’re no longer eligible to play NCAA Baseball

Are you 100% about that? You’re probably right because I don’t know the rules at all, but I do know as a fact there was a guy on my bros d2 team over 25 and playing. I know as an absolute fact that he was over 30 in fact. Unless he lied about his age to NCAA?? = / Its definitely possible.

Yeah, I played against a kid (guy) in D2 who was a frosh at 24. His last year of baseball, he was 28.

There is a guy who played college football this past season for a D3 (I think) who was 59. And I think there was a guy playing South Carolina football who was 37.

21 Year Age Rule for Division I

In Division I only, if a student-athlete has participated as an individual or as a team representative in organized sports competition, that kind of participation during each 12-month period after his/her 21st birthday and prior to initial full-time collegiate enrollment will count as one year of varsity competition in that sport. Any participation in organized competition during time spent in the U.S. armed services will be excepted. 

off ncaa.com

So the “Problem” isn’t “after the age of 25 you’re no longer eligible to play NCAA Baseball” However the “Problem” is after the age of 25 you’re no longer eligible to play Division 1 NCAA Baseball. = ) Good point though.

Yea, its what our atheletic directer told us in our annual meeting so i guess i assumed it was all NCAA

im gonna graduate when im 17, so I was planning if I didnt get drafted to try out for a CC thats close to home and major in welding or something for 2 years then ill be 19 and was gonna try and walk on to a D1 school if I dont get drafted would I be able to do that? also what if someone played baseball at a d2/d3 school for 4 years then when he was 21-22 decided to walk on at a d1 school could he still have 5 years of eligibilty?

I don’t think so, he would have already used up his eligibility at the d2/d3 school.

You are not going to get drafted out of high school.

And no, he will not have 5 years of eligibility left. You are only eligible for four anyways.[/quote]

I meant drafted to a D1 school or D2… anyway your eligible for 5 dipshit. because you can redshirt one year, then your at true frosh.

why wont i get picked up? if im good and do some recruiting.

You are not going to get drafted out of high school.

And no, he will not have 5 years of eligibility left. You are only eligible for four anyways.[/quote]

I meant drafted to a D1 school or D2… anyway your eligible for 5 *****. because you can redshirt one year, then your at true frosh.

why wont i get picked up? if im good and do some recruiting.[/quote]

You have 4 years of eligibility and 5 years to use it.

its not impossible to get drafted in high school

Just very unlikely.

well on our college team we have a 25 yr old pastor that is 6’6 about 225 lol!