How old is a good age to throw a curveball

i was wondering (so was my dad) how old you should be to be able to throw a curve without hurting your arm.

~JAGPITCH~

Wait until your 16

ok Thanks.

i didnt no for sure but now i do!

thanks again

~JagPitch25~

if you wanna trip up batters, fool them with a change-up. Choke the ball deeper in your hand and it will looks faster then it is.
–Once you get your drivers license you get many new pitches. But wait, trust me.

lol so there is more to getting your drivers license, very clever elodics. Anyways from what ive learned in the last few days about throwing curves is aslong as you preset your fore-arm angle before you start your forward motion, and you limit the number you throw you will be fine around 15-16 years old. Just go easy with it at first get the form right and then go from there

I like the old saying you can throw a curve when you start shaving.

Seriously though, I would wait until you are in high school.

id agree with u on both there basically 100% cause those 2 things are usually happening at the same time. im throwing one this year and ive got a 2 foot break on it not quite 12-6 but im like 10-4 so its gettign there

I was looking at the different grips and throws Steve Ellis has an article of, and one of them is a beginners curve, that the article says is for younger players. Would 13 be young enough?

Here’s the pitch: http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_grips.htm#q6

Wait another year at least, i would actually wait until you are 15.

A curve ball isn’t really necessary, because I am at the JV level and I still get by with a fastball change up and knuckler combo, and I mostly throw just fastball and change up and usually get them to ground/pop out. But the knuckler is my out pitch.

My son’s Doc told him 14 1/2. Ian

If you can throw a curveball properly and dont overextend your arm and have a good follow through then it is ok to use a curveball at an age younger than 16 but wait untill you are at least 12 and have a good fastball. Throw with your hand coming over the ball and then use your hand to get a snap on the ball and then follow through to the opposite hip.

I started when I was grade 7? hahaha, I was dominate when I knew how to throw one. I was the best pitcher in my league and it was a grade 7 - 8 leauge. Being a beginner, and owning everyone felt good. But I was taught by great coaches. And no, my arm isn’t dead haha I am grade 10 now.

If I wanted to, I could put together a whole compendium of opinions on when it’s safe for someone to start throwing a curve ball. Let me see now…most people believe a kid shouldn’t even think about it until the age of 14 or 15. Some think you shouldn’t even consider that pitch at all. Others—well, I discovered, before I got into my teens, that I had a natural sidearm delivery, and what came attached to it was a pretty good natural curveball, so I figured what the hey, I might as well work on it. So I did, and I learned to change speeds on it, and then I picked up a few other pitches like a palm ball and a knuckle-curve (and I think I got mine the same way Mike Mussina picked up his). Not having a fast ball to speak of, I had to become a snake-jazz pitcher, and the big breakthrough came when, at the age of sixteen, I learned the slider which became my strikeout pitch. Perhaps it was because of that sidearm delivery I never had any arm or shoulder problems.
So it all depends on how strong your arm is. If you feel you can throw a curve at the age of 12, the way I did, go ahead. Otherwise, wait a couple of years, and meanwhile develop a good changeup. 8)

it depends. every kids’ body is different. some kids are more developed than others and it happens at different ages. you just need to recognize if you can do it yourself.

There are several things to consider about what age to throw a curveball.
The main concern here is not injuring a young person who is still developing and putting on muscle. 12,13,14,15 years old, a lot of physiological changes are occurring and the tendons and connective tissue are vulnerable.
There is never a one set rule about what the proper age is because everyone is different. You have to use common sense and take into consideration the physical makeup, strength, development, etc, but on a whole, i wouldn’t even think about it until 16 or so and then I would proceed with caution… Remember this:
You need to know how to pitch first with your fastball. Good form, good location, understanding how to pitch and get people out using your fastball and changing speeds with your fastball while locating. And continue to use proper mechanics. You are building a foundation on which to lay bricks later, i,e, curveball, slider, etc… But the initial foundation (good mechanics, fastball, proper form) needs to be in place first…
Hope this helps… bb

Well, the day before my son’s 10th birthday (today)…it happened. He had a coach want to start teaching him a curve ball…a Little League curve ball he calls it. Right now nobody on our team throws a curve ball (I am the pitching coach and haven’t even thought about teaching it to 10-11 year olds), but we do have another coach with some pretty extensive pitching experience who wants to work with 2 of our kids on it. My initial thought is no, but sadly, we are one of the few teams that don’t have our pitchers throwing some type of breaking pitch. I have umpired games this year and when that first curve ball comes at me, I almost turn sideways and fall down on the darn thing!

My son is one of the younger kids in the league and the youngest on our team. He is the #2 pitcher for his team and his looked upon as a leader in many respects because of his better-than-average skills in most phases of the game.

My question is not at what age to regularly throw a curve ball (that seems to be in the 13+, high school/shaving age) but how safe it is to learn a basic breaking ball at this age. Winning is not the A#1 priority in my mind…it’s about learning the game, improving, socializing, and having fun…but I already know that next year there will be even more kids throwing breaking balls, and is NOT teaching it protecting my son’s arm health, or is it limiting/hampering his development as a pitcher?

The folks at ASMI have tried to prove a correlation between injuries and throwing curves. They have not been able to. Instead, they’ve drawn the conclusion that overuse is the primayr cause of injuries to youth pitchers. However, many folks still believe there is a risk associated with young pitchers throwing the curve.

My philosophy is to teach the kids the proper way to throw the curve because, if you don’t, they’ll learn the wrong way to throw it because it seems the most obvious thing to do to throw a curve is to twist that hand/wrist/forearm.

BUT, also teach them that they must limit how many they throw because it’s not just throwing it the wrong way that is a concern but throwing too many is also a concern.

And you have to try real hard to not let the curveball get in the way of their developing a change-up.

Roger, that makes sense. Kind of like the whole giving teens access to condoms argument. Is there a thread or other link you can point us to that shows how you teach the curve to young pitchers?

I don’t know of a thread or link offhand but I teach what the NPA teaches which is to preset the hand/wrist angle early. For young kids, “early” means in the glove. For older kids, it simply means any time before the arm starts forward not in a subtle manner so that it is undetectable by the batter. The motion is the simple karate chop motion.

Look around on the internet and you can find pictures of some of the game’s top pitchers at the point of maximum external rotation and the hand already on the side of the ball.