How much time off?

A 13 yr old pitcher threw 50+ innings with a total around 950 pitches during the season, how long should this pitcher not throw for? Starting throwing in March and ended in late August.

Any time off is time well spent as long as you don’t commit him to an off season tournament or college instruction without working up to it and having his arm in shape to handle the sudden workout. I view it as a matter that nobody is in a better place than you, to know just how long he needs to take off. How could I, or anybody else suggest a specific time table without knowing all the variables that a growing adolescent can present. Use your best judgement and don’t second guess it. As long as his health is your utmost concern, you’ll seek to do the right thing. I challenge anyone to claim they didn’t make some mistakes along the way. Usually that happens when you decide an “opportunity” is more important than a day’s rest.

Depends when the innings were pitched. Im guessing it was about a 4 to 4 1/2 month season. If most of the innings were in the end of the season then a bit of a rest is in order. If it was evenly spread out pretty much over 4 months, unless his arm is tired or sore, I wouldnt see much of a reason for any extended rest from throwing. If you feel a break from being on the mound is in order that is probably a good idea. Throwing…I dont think there should be much of a break from throwing unless there are arm issues.

What Dino said is very important. I have known a couple of kids who have gone off to “showcase” events or have been talked into a tournament after taking weeks/months off of throwing or doing anything and ended up injured.
There is no showcase or tournament worth going to unprepared.

Right on! Maybe it’s a good idea to take time off from pitching, but never from just throwing—playing catch, for example, every day for about twenty minutes. This is what helps maintain arm strength and flexibility. I used to do this when I lived in New York; during the winter I would find an indoor facility where I could just throw—and maybe work on something—without freezing my butt off. And it was just plain fun, throwing the crap out of the ball! :slight_smile:

Ive found over the last few years that time off the mound is important.
Know what is just important? As long as there are no injuries, to keep throwing, even if it’s a game of catch.

However, as Dino and fearsome said, please don’t think that offseason throwing has you ready to pitch in tourneys or showcases. Offseason throwing is just that. It is not mound prep.

No tournaments in the winter. Tryouts again in March. Since he threw a lot of pitches from April-Sept just wondering how much time this young pitcher should have to heal his arm.

Again, to me it depends how he was used. The time frame you are mentioning is about 4 1/2 months assuming April was not a full month. If the pitches were evenly distributed over the season that is about 53 pitches a week. I seriously doubt it happened this way. You obviously have a concern with the amount of usage. So rest him for 3 or 4 weeks. Unless the usage was piled up at the end of the season and his arm is tired or sore I wouldnt rest him from throwing at all. This doesnt mean he would be max long tossing every day, but, playing catch and keeping his arm in shape is good. Again, nothing on a mound really needed for a good while, but, throwing is different. I dont think a pat answer like EVERY kid that plays baseball and pitches should rest 2 months no matter what is worth anything. But, thats just my opinion.