How much does the mound play a role in your performance?

Good mounds? Bad mounds? Mounds with huge holes in the front? Flat mounds?

Do they affect your performance? Share your experiences…

I hadnt given up 6 runs all year until the point where i started pitching on a mound with the grand canyon in the foot plant. Everytime I would land, my foot would go about a foot deeper and all my balls would go high or low. I gave up 6 runs in the first and didnt come back in the second. Terrible!

In an earlier post I commented that one of the first things a pitcher should do prior to a game is to go out to the mound and check it, and that means also check the area around the mound. Believe me, I can sympathize with MrLee—that must have been something, stepping into the Grand Canyon every time he would follow through on a pitch. The preceding pitcher must have been Godzilla’s uncle!
Also, the pitcher needs to make sure that the height of the mound is right for him (or her, as the case may be). This is especially true if the pitcher happens to be a sinkerballer; a mound such as the one at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City is lower and flatter than anywhere else in the American League, almost like pitching on a flat surface, and that spells disaster for sinkerball pitchers. One day last season Chien-Ming Wang, who is a sinkerballer, was pitching for the Yankees in that ballpark, and he ran into trouble, whereupon Jorge Posada went out to the mound and told Wang to shorten his stride. Wang did so, and he went on to pitch seven strong innings and get the win.
When I pitched, the average mound height was 14 inches, and that suited me just fine. 8)

This is a very interesting topic. Our mound was just perfect for me last year… We go a couple miles up the road and the mound is like a giant baseball cut in half and was very steep next game we go north a ways and the mound is like flat! lol It effected me alot… Fastball was great on the steep one and change up was working great on the flat one… lol

Interesting topic.
My coach said he NEVER wanted to hear about chuckholes where we were landing. We were expected to adjust, concentrate and maintain our focus at the task at hand. IF we were worried about a chuckhole we were not concentrating hard enough and maintaining focus on what we were supposed to be doing.

Even if you turned an ankle you had better say you made a poor adjustment, and not blame it on the hole where you were landing.

Although the plains states are notorious for flat ground, the mound at Kaufmann Stadium is not.

Throwing on the mound is much more different than throwing off of a mound. When on flat ground, your foot is landing on the same level. When on the mound, the front half is dipped somewhat and allows your body to incline and throw that pitch down in the zone with a good stride.

Experiences with high school mounds were never very pleasent. I was mainly a reliever and came onto the mound after the starters had already dug that deep hole infront of the rubber and out in front where you land your foot. So, I’d fill them both with dirt looking for a little comfort. However, sometimes I’d land on the edge of that hole and fall off-balance.

Probably the worst thing though is pitching off of a wet mound. The mud is mucky and when it sticks to your cleats it throws your weight off a little. Even the scrapers could never get that stuff off. Starting off of a fresh mound though is very pleasent especially a high rise mound.

Man, they always affected me a lot… especially on some of the worse fields, where they were totally ruined with a gigantic hole.

as a starter i didn’t mind too much. I could go out there before the game and try to fix any holes for my plant foot. As a closer this year i have yet to pitch, so i hopefully have no gaping holes to land in.

I prefer steep mounds. The mound at my schools field is very unique, not necessarily in a positive way. The jokers who engineered and built the field made it uphill. So when you stand on homeplate and look to centerfield, you are looking up a constant incline. So the morons decided that if the field was a downgrade toward home, they might as well not bother building any sort of hump whatsoever. We’ve tried out hand at raking it up to a slight incline, and that is what it is at best.

It’s very flat, and erodes when it rains. On the bright side, anything hit on the ground dies. period.

At the high school I’m going to next year, we can’t dig into the mound at all. It really affects everything. I don’t understand why they don’t let us dig.

if you learn to throw from the front edge of the rubber, a grand canyon in front of the rubber is no problem. i have guys throw from the back edge of a portable mound to teach how to throw in these situations.

one thing you might think about is carrying a bag of the good mound clay with you to fill the foot plant hole on the mound. most opposing coaches and/or umpires will not have a problemwith this. i’ve done this at bad parks. usually you can rake enough dirt in the foot plant hole with your foot when needed.

I play here in Germany. Since Soccer is king here we oft have to play
on choppy soccer fields (short right fields!).

the mounds are either

Flat ground - with or without a carpet! (gotta protect that soccer field) Wooden Mound - variable quality, normally with that green, outdoor carpet (very slippery when wet!) Real Mound - but varying quality, normally way too soft

This brings up a question…How do we properly maintain mounds?

At school we have two practice mounds. One is extremely steep and short and I usually will end up landing off it at the end. The other is very shallow and is super slippery.

I do notice though that pitching off a mound does seem to some what increase my accuracy. I think mainly just because it helps me throw down the middle because of my arm position though.