How much bend at the waist? Stay Tall?

I was curious to know how much bend at the waist should a person have?

SHould a pitcher stay tall as much as possible? If they do bend at the waist what are some good check points?

My 9 yr. old son is learning to pitch from one of the best 13 year olds in our state (Louisiana) and his dad. I am a former collegiate player, middle infielder, so I’m no pitching expert. But I’m learning!!! :lol:
My son has learned to stay tall until he begins his follow through. They are teaching him to follow through, bending at the waist, and trying to slap dirt off the top of the mound. This is propelling your leverage and allowing you to throw “through” the catcher’s mit. Basically your lead leg straightens out as you are coming over the top and following through as I explained above, and your back foot (heel) should come up, almost imagining that you are kicking yourself in the rear with your heel. This technique seems to have helped my son with his velocity. He went from the high 40’s to the mid 50’s after about 8 sessions with these pitching coaches. Good luck!

we emphasis 5 balance points or check points in the delivery.

1. rocker step/pivot
  2. leg lift - the traditional balnce or gathering point.
  3. stride leg straight down/hand seperation
  4. stride foot landing/power position
  5. throwing pitch/follow through.

[quote=“BRAD JAMES”]
My son has learned to stay tall until he begins his follow through. They are teaching him to follow through, bending at the waist, and trying to slap dirt off the top of the mound.quote]

I usually stay tall until after phase two which is the balance point. after balancing I’ll start to bend the back knee and come down and bend my waist a bit. what u say ur son is doing sounds sort of similar to what im doing now in my pitching wind up and delivery. It has worked for me pretty well. Stay tall through your balance and then bend and come down a bit. works for me…