How long does it take

after not playing organized baseball for about 5 years, i am trying to pitch again…

i just really didnt understand how big of a deal muscle memory is until i tried to do this…

i have truthfully lost 10-15 mph on my fastball and it is really frustrating, i know that it will not come back over night(or even weeks)… but i feel really good when im throwing, the radar gun is just killing me mentally though, its such a let down

at a point i could throw low to mid 80s… i have been throwing my arm off, and only hit 73 on the radar gun once

i know everyone is different… blah blah, size, all these other variables,
but im 6’2" 185 lbs… played 3rd base and pitched my whole life, usually had the best arm on most of my teams… i fell like i hear 70 mph from the radar gun, it feels like i could do that when i was like 5 years old, i swear

right now im 22 years old by the way

what is the best thing to build up my arm strength other than soft toss, i really have no one to throw with, or even chase balls for me… i usually just go outside and throw 20 baseballs into a fence, then pick them up and start over

but mainly, can you guys honestly give me a ballpark answer on how long you think it will take to get back to full form(if i ever will)…

thanks

i just signed up for a NABA 18+ rookie league, but im not sure if i should try to even pitch this year when im only hitting 70 on the gun

“Expletive” the radar gun!
I know you’ve been away from the game for quite a while, but there’s no reason why you can’t get back into it. And you don’t need a stupid piece of equipment, which is known for its relative inaccuracy, to tell you what you can and can’t do. You need to go back to square one, so to speak, and do some serious work on fundamentals, work on balance and control, find your best arm angle, and go from there.
I can tell you about something I used to do when I was a little snip. I would get a catcher—something you need to do, by the way—and he would mark off a home plate and a pitcher’s rubber with chalk, or if we could get to a playing field I would take the mound and he would get behind the plate. And we would play a little game we called “ball and strike”; he would position his mitt in various spots, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head ( :lol: ), and I had to concentrate on getting the ball into the pocket of the mitt. This was more than just a drill; it was a good solid workout aimed at sharpening my control, and a fun workout it was. I threw all my pitches at different speeds, and being a true sidearmer I could and did use the crossfire a lot.
Another thing I did: I used to go to Yankee Stadium—the original ballpark—every chance I got, and I would watch the pitchers. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three rotation (Vic Raschi, Allie Reynolds and Ed Lopat) were all doing the same thing. They were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one seamless, continuous motion, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches—not to mention taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder. I saw just how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own, and as I practiced this essential aspect of mechanics I noticed that I was throwing harder and faster than I had been—maybe I would never reach the speed of C.C. Sabathia, but I ended up with an 81-mile-an-hour fast ball (and my pitching coach, who was one of those three guys, told me that for a finesse pitcher, a snake-jazzer such as I was, this WAS a fast ball!). You might try this; I have an idea that it will, among other things, help you avoid things like a sore arm. When you take the pressure off the arm and the shoulder, they’re just going along for the ride. Getting your whole body into the action is the key.
And, as I said before, “expletive” the radar gun! :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

Zita said “And, as I said before, “expletive” the radar gun”

Amen to that one-a gadget that supposedly makes experts out of fools…Ian

If you hit your spots, you don’t need to worry about the radar gun.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2662320

what do u think about that???

kinda pricey, but it seems really durable from the pic, and reviews… but i dont see any other option of getting someone to catch me

I think that target is better than most. But I have
http://www.leatherpitchingtarget.com][u]this one[/u
. I have the pro model and it’s excellent - and a lot more money. But they have a cheaper model too.