How is this possible lol?

I just can’t get over how the laws of physics allow these two men to throw the ball similar velocities.

Exibit A- Tim Lincecum

Height 5-10
Weight 165

Probably can’t deadlift over 200 pounds, and he throws the ball 95-98 consistently

Exibit B- Kvkx

Spoke to this guy on a bodybuilding website I frequently post on, huge baseball guru, senior who peaks at around 93-95.

Height- 6-4
Weight 240

Oh yea, technically he broke the teenaged 5 rep deadlift record with 715 pounds. For those of you who don’t weightlift, that is UN FRIGGIN BELIEVEBLE.

Idk, just makes me laugh. One guy who never touches a weight, another who swears by them 6 days a week and will probably enter powerlifting competitions if his baseball career falls through. Lol

Thats show ya that baseball isnt a strength sport but i do recon that lincecum deadlifts over 200 since 200 isnt that much

I can dead lift 200 lbs

I’d wager a good sum of money that Lincecum could probably deadlift 400 pounds or more. Just because he doesn’t look like the incredible Hulk doesnt mean he isn’t strong.

And it really doesn’t have much to do with who is stronger, but rather what type of strength you are training for. If you want to deadlift 700 pounds, your training will revolve around deadlifting extremely large amounts of weight. Training to be a pitcher will involve strength work which is specific to pitching. Totally different ball game.

there is a video

pure heat:ultimate mlb flamethrowers, and the pitching coach for the new york mets talks about studying the guys that really throw hard. they are off the charts at how quickly they can get their hand from the point it stops going back behind the head at 0 mph, to maximum velocity at release point (i believe this is called internal {or external} rotation of the shoulder. if you can do this you will throw hard, whether you look like the high school guy that can deadlift your house, or satchel paige who looked like a couple of rubber bands in spikes.

it’s all about quick muscle reflex. weight lifting is a slow contraction of the muscle.
i think if Muhammad Ali tried pitching he would have had great velocity… because he was so insanely quick and so smooth.

i thought lincecum was taller… 5’10" wow thats really impressive.

[quote=“Influx”]
i thought lincecum was taller… 5’10" wow thats really impressive.[/quote]

That’s his listed height, in all reality he’s shorter then 5’10"

A baseball is only 5 ounces. You don’t need great strength to throw hard. You only need to be “explosive”. It’s all about fast-twitch muscles fibers and mechanics.

I just found it interesting, maybe he can do over 300 ish but not over 400, thats alot

THAT’S… NOT… A… PITCHER… THAT’S… A… GOD… :shock:

Yea lol, I told him he looks more like Kratos from God of War and less like a man, he must get @ss 8 days a week lol.

Here are some of his stats

Bench- 315x(idk how many reps)
Squat- 450x(idk how many reps)
Deadlift-715x5(TEEN WORLD RECORD)
Barbell Row- 315
Overhead Press- 185

Those are stats that rival some bodybuilders, hes Deadlifting on nearly an olympic level!

I don’t see how this guy can be a good pitcher with all of that muscle mass. I mean that’s ridiculous. I know there’s a lot of controversy with baseball players playing football and wrestling because baseball coaches don’t want players with too much muscle mass because it can really limit your capabilities of throwing the ball. I don’t think any pro pitchers are that big. It seems stupid for baseball that hes getting that strong. I mean yeah if he wanted to be a lifter I’m sure he could but it seem stupid if his real dream is baseball.

He is absolutely jacked.

I’m sure he can do 400. He’s a professional athlete, who can throw reallllly hard. He prolly has legs of steel.

Kinda funny note. Somebody on Ross Enamait’s forum said that he didnt think Ross could deadlift 400 pounds and that he would wager 100 bucks on it. Now, Ross is a former boxer and currently trains fighters. He doesn’t do any deadlifting in his current program, but he decided to take the challenge.

Here is the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95D7lj-A6tA
8)

[quote=“kc86”]Kinda funny note. Somebody on Ross Enamait’s forum said that he didnt think Ross could deadlift 400 pounds and that he would wager 100 bucks on it. Now, Ross is a former boxer and currently trains fighters. He doesn’t do any deadlifting in his current program, but he decided to take the challenge.

Here is the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95D7lj-A6tA
8)[/quote]

He got the 405 great, but on every lift beyond that his form was horrific lol.

[quote=“Bower”]I don’t see how this guy can be a good pitcher with all of that muscle mass. I mean that’s ridiculous. I know there’s a lot of controversy with baseball players playing football and wrestling because baseball coaches don’t want players with too much muscle mass because it can really limit your capabilities of throwing the ball. I don’t think any pro pitchers are that big. It seems stupid for baseball that hes getting that strong. I mean yeah if he wanted to be a lifter I’m sure he could but it seem stupid if his real dream is baseball.

He is absolutely jacked.[/quote]

From what I understand, he plans to ride baseball as long as it takes him, and then move into powerlifting/Worlds strongest man.

And from speaking to him, he says he stretches 15 minutes each day, and never feels inhibited at all with his flexibility. Side note however, is that though he throws low 90’s, hes primarily a 3rd basemen. He told me that lifting has really helped him there, because his batspeed is insane, which I can imagine.

Well similar body weights and that guy lifted around 500 if I remember right and I read the whole thread and someone said that they’d guess he’d hit in the 580s if he was fresh with a belt and stuff like that. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lincecum could do 400.

Well if I were him and he’s serious about being a pitcher, I would go on a wrestling-esque diet, run constantly, and lose a ton of weight. However, I don’t think that’s possible, because he probably has a .1% body fat and losing weight wouldn’t do much good. :smiley:

Why? There are many pitchers that are his size and weigh more than 240 pounds. It is okay to be a fat slob like Bartolo Colon, but it is not okay for a pitcher to be in peak condition? Honestly, I’m just really confused here. The guy throws in the 90’s, so obviously his performance is not being inhibited by his strength or muscles.

Everyone seems to have this idea that being strong and having muscle automatically takes away flexibility. I don’t get it.

Olympic lifters are more flexible than the vast, vast majority of athletes.

The state of being muscle bound has to do with muscular IMBALANCE. For instance, the pushing muscles being significantly stronger than the pulling muscles.
Heck most activities especially baseball, promote doing things with one motion creating awful imbalances.

Tim Linecum is probably one giant fast twitch muscle fiber. The boy is explosive. Relative to his body weight the boy could probably lift as much as it would take most people months to achieve. The really explosive guys in the world are like that.

Anyone know Linecum’s 60 time?

Really skinny guys tend to run great sprints, a testement to their muscle fiber composition and relative strength.
Andrew Miller runs a 6.6 60 yard dash, the Red Sox big pitching prospect (forget his name) is the fastest on the whole club, even faster than Jacoby Ellsbury.

I should probably dive further into the concept of relative strength with regards to pitching. That could be an interesting case study.