How in the devil does Maddux get so much movemtent on 2/CC

I can’t figure out how he gets so much movement on his 2 seamer and circle change. How does one do this?

Pronation and finger pressure.

I really think a key factor is his ability to reduce speed…As I’ve pointed out with astonishment, Greg hit 91 on TV last year, so he can throw gas…mid-level, nothin special MLB gas at 91 but when you can reduce velocity, it allows the seams to catch more wind and jink here and there. It’s also how he orients his fingers on the ball, overbalance to one side or choking back to his palm. He’s a master at these little subtlties and the movement that comes with it.

I’ve been trying to figure out his approach for years. Man has the slowest delivery, but can vary his speeds. Some days he’s pitching 85mph, other he’s pitching 88-91 mph. I believe I’ve seen him throw a change-up at 65 mph right after an 88 mph fastball. Both with the same slow delivery. I know he has talked about finger pressure before back on the old TBS broadcasts. I still haven’t figured out how to do that. If anyone has a tutorial or an article about finger pressure please let me know. I’d really appreciate it. Anyways, Maddux is a master both changing speeds and finger pressure.

I’ve heard on a TBS broadcast that he can throw all of his pitches, somehow, with the same grip. Or basically, with the same location on the ball. He also has the ability to predict where a batter is going to hit his pitches. This results in a ton of double plays. I’ve also heard somewhere that he looks at the weather report between innings. Why, because he looks for wind patterns that may effect how his pitches moves during his delivery. But, that may just be a myth… or is it?? Hmmm…

It’s amazing what finger pressure can do, and I’m surprise that coaches don’t teach this. He’s an example of what consistent mechanics can allow a pitcher to do. Since he’s usually at top form, he doesn’t have to worry about what his mechanics are doing. This allows him to focus on making pitches break all sorts of ways. It also doesn’t hurt that he has a “rubber arm.” He practically can pitch as long as he want (career-wise). He doesn’t throw terribly hard, has pinpoint accuracy, has a rubber arm, and is a master of finger pressure. WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR!!!

I wish I lived in Vegas, so I could ask him how he does what he do. He’s my alltime (ALL TIME!!!) favorite pitcher! I based my mechanics off of his when I was a kid.

Anyways, I’m sorry. I went on a tangent. I can talk on and on and on about that man. To answer your question here’s why Maddux’s pitches moves soo much.

1. Finger pressure
  2. Consistent delivery
  3. Master of changing velosity
  4. Camera angle :wink:
  5. Mind Bullets!!! :twisted:

(p.s. Someone should put up a thread about finger pressue and how to implement it)

I think everyone on here is right on about the finger pressure. I just wanted to add something that I’d heard. I’ve never heard Maddux say he does this or anything but I’ve heard that he induces some of his movement by altering the angle of his wrist. His arm comes through at pretty much the same angle everytime but he cocks his wrist at a slightly different angle, say from 1 o’clock to 2 o’clock, and this changes the axis of rotation. Has anyone heard this?

[quote=“Jay Ayers”]I’ve been trying to figure out his approach for years. Man has the slowest delivery, but can vary his speeds. Some days he’s pitching 85mph, other he’s pitching 88-91 mph. I believe I’ve seen him throw a change-up at 65 mph right after an 88 mph fastball. Both with the same slow delivery. I know he has talked about finger pressure before back on the old TBS broadcasts. I still haven’t figured out how to do that. If anyone has a tutorial or an article about finger pressure please let me know. I’d really appreciate it. Anyways, Maddux is a master both changing speeds and finger pressure.

I’ve heard on a TBS broadcast that he can throw all of his pitches, somehow, with the same grip. Or basically, with the same location on the ball. He also has the ability to predict where a batter is going to hit his pitches. This results in a ton of double plays. I’ve also heard somewhere that he looks at the weather report between innings. Why, because he looks for wind patterns that may effect how his pitches moves during his delivery. But, that may just be a myth… or is it?? Hmmm…

It’s amazing what finger pressure can do, and I’m surprise that coaches don’t teach this. He’s an example of what consistent mechanics can allow a pitcher to do. Since he’s usually at top form, he doesn’t have to worry about what his mechanics are doing. This allows him to focus on making pitches break all sorts of ways. It also doesn’t hurt that he has a “rubber arm.” He practically can pitch as long as he want (career-wise). He doesn’t throw terribly hard, has pinpoint accuracy, has a rubber arm, and is a master of finger pressure. WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR!!!

I wish I lived in Vegas, so I could ask him how he does what he do. He’s my alltime (ALL TIME!!!) favorite pitcher! I based my mechanics off of his when I was a kid.

Anyways, I’m sorry. I went on a tangent. I can talk on and on and on about that man. To answer your question here’s why Maddux’s pitches moves soo much.

1. Finger pressure
  2. Consistent delivery
  3. Master of changing velosity
  4. Camera angle :wink:
  5. Mind Bullets!!! :twisted:

(p.s. Someone should put up a thread about finger pressue and how to implement it)[/quote]

You wana know how to do it??? Do what he did when he was young. He could not throw very hard, so he worked and worked and worked on different ways to get people out and one was experimenting with all sorts of grips and finger pressures, and mastering them. You just have to experiment and see what you get.

“I think everyone on here is right on about the finger pressure. I just wanted to add something that I’d heard. I’ve never heard Maddux say he does this or anything but I’ve heard that he induces some of his movement by altering the angle of his wrist. His arm comes through at pretty much the same angle everytime but he cocks his wrist at a slightly different angle, say from 1 o’clock to 2 o’clock, and this changes the axis of rotation. Has anyone heard this?”

He is so aware that he doesn’t ever want to have the least difference on any delivery I don’t think he’d do anything as noticeable as changing his wrist angle while in the glove…you know these guys are watching video after every at bat of their last at bat…so change anything a camera can see and their picking it up and using it on you. Greg is very much aware of that.

Lol, I was afraid you were going to say that. Greg is truely a master of his craft. What I wanted to know is exactly what does finger pressure really mean? Some say that it’s how you position different joints of your finger on the ball. Others say that it’s how hard you press your fingers on the ball. I’m a bit confused by this. But, ya I’ll go out this weekend and try to punch-away at this. Any clarification on finger pressure would be awesome though.