How important is to throw the ball alongside the front foot?

Hello, I recently bought the book The Louisville Slugger, The Complete Book of Pitching, and they said something like throwing the ball/ releasing the ball alongside your stride foot.

This might seem obvious, but I think I was actually throwing it out in front of my stride/lead foot.

So I wanna know how important is to throw the ball from the same “plane”, alongside, your front foot? Will this help control? Increase velocity? Prevent injuries?

Thanks.

My guess is that they are saying that your arm passes along side your stride foot but not that your release point ends up next to your stride foot. At least I hope they’re not saying that.

At release, your stride foot, stride knee and chin should align vertically in the same plane. Your release point should then be 8" - 12" in front of that plane.

This is the right thing to do.

I think it’s better said that you should release the ball at least at your glove side foot, if not in front of it.

Although Roger is probably technically correct about the release point, I’m of the “opinion” that it’s a non-teach. It’s a trial and error process and has to be put in the context of the entire delivery. Put another way, there are “bigger fish to fry” and it’s a proprioception issue that comes with mechanics and practice.

I absolutely agree that release point is a non-teach. If you put together your mechanics and timing properly, your release point will happen out in front which is where you want it.

By the way, how many times have you heard a coach tell a kid to “release out front”? I’ve taught my son to interpret that instruction to mean “correct your mechanics so your release point ends up where it should be”. :wink:

Couldn’t agree more!! Well put.