How important is it for the glove hand to be tucked-in?

[size=18][/size] How important is it for the glove hand to be tucked-in?

My son is a lhp (15 years). He has been working on his mechanics. He still leaves his glove hand dragging - not tucked-in. Does this affect his velocity? :?:[/youtube]

my son was taught to tuck his glove mostly to keep it near his chest after release to stop comebacks from hitting him in the face.

I don’t teach it at all, none of the pro’s or D-1 coaches I’ve worked with teaches it. To me it’s a misguided cue that causes guys to open up way too much, way too early. Does that mean that people don’t or shouldn’t teach it? Hummm…I think there is more than one way to train up a pitcher. I think if it leads to success without injury…ehh can’t argue success… I like what has been identified as Houses equal and opposite approach…though I didn’t learn it from him or people who have learned from him.

Here is my kid in slo-mo (produced by Laflippin), you don’t have to watch the whole 2 minutes, the first pitch illustrates what I’m saying.
He throws 91-2 right now, so will velocity be effected?
The front side is imo critical to accuracy and balance…the term used for his front side delivery is chest to glove.

man that kid looks good! i can only hope that my son looks that good one day.

no matter what you call it, i like the safety of having the glove closer to the chest after throw. my son dodged a face shot last year as his glove was behind his butt after throwing. that incident (plus looking at youtube videos of pitchers getting hit in the face) was enough to warrant a change.

we actually learned what we now call the “chicken wing” from someone on this forum. we tried all sorts of methods to get the glove in the right position with no avail until i read about someone advocating the pulling of the glove side elbow into the side to start the rotation of the shoulders.

we tried the drill and found that it left the arm in a good protective position and caused the kids to “feel” like they were throwing with more power.

Be aware that this can be interpretted a couple ways: tucking the glove as in pulling it to the chest and tucking the glove as in beinding the wrist to “tuck” the glove down under the forearm (or to the rear) while the glove arm is extended out front. Pulling the glove to the chest very often results in early shoulder rotation and should be avoided. If the glove arm is extended out front properly, what the glove does while it’s out there is of little concern. In JD’s video of his kid, the glove arm extends out front and then it swivels over while the chest moves to the glove. You can confirm this by comparing the glove to some object in the background. The glove move out front and never moves backward. It my look that way but it’s really the body moving to the glove.

If the glove side does something to cause early shoulder rotation, that will affect velocity.