How important is height?

Hey, been reading here for a while and decided to join.

My question is, how important is height for a pitcher in the whole scheme of pitching things like velocity, injury resistance, durability as well as other things like recruiting/draft/etc.

I’m 14 years old and only about 5’7. I’ve been told that I won’t grow much at all from now on by my doctor, so I might be looking at a final height of 5’9 by the time I’m done growing for good if I’m lucky.

I’m currently playing high school ball as a Freshman on JV. Last June when I was 13 I was clocked at 71, so I’m not really sure how fast I throw now. I did a lot of things over the off-season so I’d say I’m mid-70’s probably.

I’ve never really had a problem with injuries, only some inflammation in my elbow for a couple weeks.

So to sum it up, what factor does height play in pitching aspects as well as in the scout’s eye? Am I already out of a chance pitching in college because I’m short?

If you’re good, you can play.

Being tall means you have a better mechanical advantage for throwing and that you can release the ball closer to the plate.

I’ve had pitchers in my rotation that were 5’5" … to … 6’8", and each brought a certain quality to the mix. And that’s what you’ll do. You’ll bring a certain pitch or combination of pitches to your club that your coach will want to use at the right time … for a certain game plan … for a certain schedule.
Too many youngsters consider themselves as ONE… and not part of a collection of tools in your coach’s tool box. And like a tool box… there’s a tool for specific job … at a specific time.

Work on a dependable pitch… then another… then another. Get each pitch working that’s YOURS. When your coaching staff needs that “go to guy” … you’ll be it… when your needed.

Coach B.

like others said, being tall has it’s advantages such as leverage, downward plane, etc. being tall also has it’s disadvantages such as difficulty with coordination.
as far as durability is concerned, i had it explained to me like this by a scout: Both an 8 cylinder car and 4 cylinder car can go 70 mph, but which one has to work harder to achieve that speed, and which one will take more of a beating going that fast? obviously the 4 cylinder. this is a fairly generalized way of looking at it because obviously there are other factors such as mechanics, but it makes sense.
all that being said, if you can pitch you can pitch. in the end, it’s all about getting guys out. some people are just more phsyically gifted than others. identify your strengths and play to them. good luck

look at pedro for inspiration. 5’ 10, right-handed. Had been told he was too small to ever start a game in mlb, he developped ridiculous leg strenght (which is the key), he learned how to pitch, and he threw gas. He’s a future hall of famer

There was one pitcher (I forget his name) who played in the MLB and was very effective and he was only like 5-5 or 5-6

i dont remember the exact height of mike marshall but he was somewhere aroun 5’8 if im not mistaken.

i dont remember the exact height of mike marshall but he was somewhere aroun 5’8 if im not mistaken.

Just look at Roy Oswalt, he’s barely 6 feet and around 180-185 pds. He throws some gas. He is one of the best pitchers in the MLB. Then look at Tim Hudson, he’s around 6 feet, but he’s only about 170, he’s a really good pitcher. Then look at Wags, he’s probably 5’9" and he hit over 100 mph. The key is leg strength. I am also 5’7", but I’m working every day to get better. I am really pounding my legs. It all comes down to if you can pitch, you can pitch.

[quote=“The Captain”]Hey, been reading here for a while and decided to join.

My question is, how important is height for a pitcher in the whole scheme of pitching things like velocity, injury resistance, durability as well as other things like recruiting/draft/etc.

I’m 14 years old and only about 5’7. I’ve been told that I won’t grow much at all from now on by my doctor, so I might be looking at a final height of 5’9 by the time I’m done growing for good if I’m lucky.

I’m currently playing high school ball as a Freshman on JV. Last June when I was 13 I was clocked at 71, so I’m not really sure how fast I throw now. I did a lot of things over the off-season so I’d say I’m mid-70’s probably.

I’ve never really had a problem with injuries, only some inflammation in my elbow for a couple weeks.

So to sum it up, what factor does height play in pitching aspects as well as in the scout’s eye? Am I already out of a chance pitching in college because I’m short?[/quote]

It can be a big advantage, but you have too utilize it correctly. And do not lose hope of getting over 6 feet tall, Guys dont completly stop growing 'till they are about 25, so you still have time.

Jason Frasor. 5’10 = 98 Mph.

/thread

just look at 6’10 chris young, he only throws about 91 but his long stride makes him be able to relase the ball closer to the plate allowing him to blow hitters away

height may not matter on how good a pitcher is but it definitely figures into projectability. this goes for recruiting and getting drafted. if a short and tall pitcher both have the same stuff the taller one will get alot more looks because they can become a better pitcher.