How important is after throwing / pitching icing?

I just finished a throwing session. About 60 throws from distances of 45-60-75-90ft. I have always been an advocate for icing afterwards. What I’d like to get further insight on is how long should you ice afterwards? What areas do you ice? While I think I have a grasp on these answers, I’d like to throw it out there for all of your input

I thouht that icing was important until I was introduced to running after pitching, every time I pitch now, bullpens, game anything I either run poles or sprints if I am indoors.

The way it was explained to me is that ice is to reduce swelling etc. If you arent’ hurt why would you ice. I rarely hurt after throwing or pitching. The advice was given to me that running gets the heart rate up and blood flow going and this promotes recovery quicker than ice. I have been using it 2 years and for me at least it has been really great.

appreciate your input. I gotta admit, I thought I would hear from multiple sources on this one. Anybody else have some insight? (Steve and other pro / former pro level pitchers would sure be appreciated!)

[quote=“ecmike73”]appreciate your input. I gotta admit, I thought I would hear from multiple sources on this one. Anybody else have some insight? (Steve and other pro / former pro level pitchers would sure be appreciated!)[/quote]I actually iced in high school, but running wasn’t a big thing on our team. My senior year I iced because I was injured, but once I became aware of the benefits of running for your arm, I really have stopped. The first week of practice here they make everyone ice. You step out of the locker room and athletic trainers ask you where it hurts. If it doesn’t, they ask your where it would hurt. Aside from that, icing is our own choice, and I haven’t felt anything in my arm to think I would need to ice it. I think running is the best choice for most people.

Running and light shoulder workouts/ bands Ive found to help me out alot better with recover. Icing should only be needed if injured, not sore. Thats the way I was taught.

How much and what kind of running and how soon after?

I’ve seen college teams with stationary bikes in the dugout and pitchers getting on them as soon as they are done, my son likes to do a couple of miles after he gets home. In high school he almost never iced, in college they iced him 10-20 minutes after each appearance (Long enough, just not too long :wink: ). 10-20 minutes, enough to get the metabolism/blood flow up, break a sweat, I’d say though that each pitchers conditioning level needs to be considered, the idea isn’t to exhaust.

I run one foul pole to foul pole for every 10 pitches I throw, if I start and they take me out then I try to get it in right away unless I play the field, hit or the team might use me later.

I believe every player/person is different…

In the early years of my career I would ice all the time. Ofcourse, icing on the areas that got sore. Probably the last half of my career I stopped icing all together. Distance running and lifting the day after were more important for me. Never had any arm trouble from “not” icing.

We generally don’t ice our guys after throwing max bullpens or appearances in games. They stretch their forearms and do internal rotation work to help restore lost elbow flexion-extension as the season goes on, and they do light running and general stretching as well.

After years of icing and other post throwing activities, I’ve found my favorite recovery combination:

No Icing
Scap Work (Y’s and T’s with Bands or weights)
Fish Oil (Lots of it)

EAS Phosphagen Elite Creatine
EAS Muscle Armor

I know that most can’t afford the supplements, but I had to include them in the answer.

if it hurts or is sore, i ice. running/sweating is the best for quicker recovery. bands every day as well.

for me…i pitch. after im done, i rest, then ice for about ten to fifteen min after the game.
the next day, i stretch, use bands, light toss, and then i run at least a mile. and if its sore, ill ice down after that.

everyone is diff, and it all depends how much you throw and how often. not an expert but i think ice helps.