How high can your hands stop in the set?Is there a rule

Someone mentioned you cant come to a stop with your hands above your chin.

Well here you go from the MLB Rule book:

The Set Position. Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his pivot foot in contact with, and his other foot in front of, the pitcher’s plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop.

Your interpretation and an umpires is always different!

That is a high school (NFHS) rule.

Roger is completely correct–a couple of years ago my son was coming set with the glove higher than chin level. A coach who was familiar with the NFHS rule on this told him to come set with the end of his glove no higher than his chin.

I later confirmed that this is an NFHS variation from the MLB OBRs by asking the NFHS organization about it. It is not clear that every HS umpire is going to know/use this rule, but it’s a balk if you’re called on it so HS pitchers should conform to the rule, whether it makes sense or not.

thanks, I looked it up and it said at the chin or below. Its pretty high anyway I dont see it helping you anyway.

Here’s something that’s even better—when you come to a full stop, the ideal position of the hands is at the belly-button, and the reason for this is to avoid telegraphing the pitch. This is major league all the way, but I imagine it will work at the high school level as well. 8)

I’m glad I read his. I have been coming set with my glove at my eyes. I’m guessing I wont get away with that much longer.

I don’t think that as long as the ump and the batter can see your eyes that you will have a problem, I haven’t seen it called in any games yet.

As long as it isn’t Andrew Eugene Pettitte on the mound. That stare…

Oh? Tell me more of this stare…If its not too much trouble

I don’t know whether you ever saw Andy Pettitte pitch—but he used to scare the bleep out of the hitters when he was on the mound. He would look in to get the sign from the catcher…and he would pull his cap down over his forehead, and the lower part of his face would be concealed by his glove, so all the batter could see were his eyes. And he would look in at the batter, and there was this stare—the most menacing thing one could see. And it was all the batter could see—right up until the pitch was delivered. Pettitte was a power pitcher with finesse, rather like Allie Reynolds used to be at an earlier time. He didn’t have to throw high and inside to drive the batters back from the plate. He would stare them into striking out. :evil: