How hard would it be to build a mound, how much $$$

Approximately how much dirt would I need, what type of dirt would I need. Would I need any would…any tutorials anywhere on how to do this? I’d like to build one in my backyard that wouldn’t cost a ton. Those portable mounds are priced ridiculous in my opinion.

How much for a pitching rubber as well? Do you put that in with concrete or what?

I built a wooden, portable mound for my younger brother for under 100 dollars. It’s very nice and not too heavy, and the dimension are perfect for his league.

I’ve seached for plans to build a wooden/portable mound that is not too heavy. I saw some that used 2x10 boards. The directions lead me to believe it would be very heavy and not very portable. I don’t want to build a dirt mound in the yard for my son. For some reason, I don’t think my wife would like it very much. Anyone have plans to build one?

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_sports_additions/article/0,2037,DIY_13931_2278306,00.html

These worked well, I based my mound of these and I like it a lot.

I did two things differently though. I used 8 foot boards instead of 12’s or whatever as it was easier to get them home. Also I added slope to it as almost all mounds seem steeper than the original directions.

There is no need to cut the plywood into to sections. With a decent saw you just make it a shallow cut and the board will bend at the cut perfectly. We didn’t even cut the first top we put on, just bent it over, but it created weird low spots in time to do the stress points.

The end result is maybe like 100lbs or something. Myself and my brother and carry it no problem (which cut holes to fit you hands in on the back and sides) it’s just awkward is the reason it isn’t that portable.

Also we used treated woods as it is permanently outside, and that makes it significantly heavier, but it lasts longer.

I built one last weekend and just made a frame from some 2x4s filled it in with some sand and clay. and just used a flat piece of wood about 5inces wide for the rubber. It took about 2-3hours and less than 50 bucks.

[quote=“centerfield2150”]http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_sports_additions/article/0,2037,DIY_13931_2278306,00.html

These worked well, I based my mound of these and I like it a lot.

I did two things differently though. I used 8 foot boards instead of 12’s or whatever as it was easier to get them home. Also I added slope to it as almost all mounds seem steeper than the original directions.

There is no need to cut the plywood into to sections. With a decent saw you just make it a shallow cut and the board will bend at the cut perfectly. We didn’t even cut the first top we put on, just bent it over, but it created weird low spots in time to do the stress points.

The end result is maybe like 100lbs or something. Myself and my brother and carry it no problem (which cut holes to fit you hands in on the back and sides) it’s just awkward is the reason it isn’t that portable.

Also we used treated woods as it is permanently outside, and that makes it significantly heavier, but it lasts longer.[/quote]

how much money was that?

Umm, we paid extra for treated wood, and actually the surface (turf, carpet, etc) is the most expensive item. I think that alone cost >$30.

It was some time ago, so I cannot remember exact figures, although I’m quite confident it right around 100 if not less

This is just a guess as to what I recall paying.

The plywood was probably $12
Turf $35
5 2x10x8 $10 per

Just a rough estimate, oh and you’ll need some 2 1/2" wood screws which will cost maybe 5 bucks

That comes out at around $102 dollars

Any I feel like that’s what it was, although a quick stop at lowes or home depot could give you the definite price. Also check to make sure they have indoor/outdoor “turf” style carpet, as it seemed like one or the other chain didn’t carry it.

Then it’s a solid days project between all the measuring, cutting, and attaching, and then if you glue down a surface that needs to be left alone for a day atleast.

Also one more note, ours is basically permanently outside, and it’s lasted a couple years no problem, we do tarp it though, I don’t think it would be the greatest if you didn’t

I’m thinking of building a pitching mound outside of my batting cage cause I got the room. Not sure if I’m going to use dirt or wood yet.

Any top soil dirt wound work when tamped down, and I think a 1/4 ton pick-up load of dirt would be more than enough. Price? maby $40 - $50 bucks depending where you live would be my guess. Check local landscaping business’s etc.

Out of wood, I’m considering it, cause it would be moveable. What I’m going to do if I decide on wood( which will cost more than dirt) is to get some of those bigger wheels off of a old junk lawn mower , and a couple of pieces of old steel bed rails, cause their angle iron, and attach the wheels to the angle iron and bolt them at the back sides of the mound , maby an inch or two off ground level , and when I want to move the mound , when I pick up the front part the wheels will hit the ground and I can wheel it away and set it on end by the garage or fence for the winter.
Just an easy idea to make it moveable.
Bill Chapones