How hard to throw to go D1 from Juco

Just wondering how hard a juco guy would need to throw to end up at a low level d1, mid major d1 and a power conference d1 respectively. If anyone here has any info it would be greatly appreciated!

D1 guys can be anywhere from low 80s (side arm, specialty guy) to high 90’s.
D1 school can be all over as well. Right or left handed? Size, potential roll on a team…all these things plus others factor.
There really isn’t a generic answer, but, to give a generic answer if you are right handed I would say sitting mid 80s.
Where are you now in terms of velo?

Mid to upper 80s with control of the fastball and one off-speed pitch you can throw for strikes and you can count on playing somewhere. It may not be your preferred D1, but it’s possible to play D1 somewhere.

Thanks for the reply! I’m sitting 85-86 right now and I am 6’2 210 righty and my fathers 6’7 so I’m hoping I’m not done growing! (knock on wood), I’m hoping to be sitting in the upper 80’s by the time I start the fall season with my Juco. Also the JUCO I signed with utlizes drivelines weighted ball & plyo care ball program, jagers long toss program, and the core velocity belt as well as a strength program with the foundation built around explosiveness, (cleans and some olympic lifts). By the time I leave I want to be in the low to mid 90’s & Since the school I signed with ranked in the top 20 in the juco polls last season I’m hoping to sign with a somewhat of a big name school coming out of there as they have produced very good talents out of there.

Thanks for the reply CoachPaul!

Sounds like you’re in a good place…forward thinking coaches, which is rare.
Great opportunity for sure. Work hard and it sounds like you have a great shot of getting there.

Definitely am, the main reason I chose it because of the tools surrounding me there. Thanks for the reply and encouraging words!

I go to a D1 right now and I’d say we have 9-10 guys right now that can throw 90. However, only one of them has consistently been mid 90’s. The bottom line is you have to have good offspeed and location to compliment your velocity, or you will just be stuck in the middle of that group. I know it’s a cliche, but 85 painting the corners is much more effective then 91 down the middle

Thanks for the reply! can I ask what level D1? Power conference like SEC or Big 12 or a smaller level? Just asking to get a feel for what a D1 pitching staff entails.

Thanks for the reply can I ask what level D1? Power conference like SEC or Big 12 or a smaller level? Just asking to get a feel for what a D1 pitching staff entails.

It’s a small D1 in the Southland conference. Don’t freak out cause I don’t think most small D1’s go 10 guys deep with 90 MPH guys, I think we just have an unusual amount. That being said, we played Rice (a powerhouse) for our fall scrimmage, and they had several righties throwing mid 80’s. So like I said don’t worry about a specific number, if you’re hard to hit against you’ll get offers. What juco do you go to?

Awesome! Thanks for the reply, and I’ve heard that conference is filled with good baseball. And Ill be a freshman at McHenry County College this fall. http://www.jucoweekly.com/njcaa/polls.aspx is a link to the rankings.

Awesome, Thanks for the reply! and I’ve heard that conference is filled with good baseball. And Ill be a freshman at McHenry County College this fall. http://www.jucoweekly.com/njcaa/polls.aspx is a link to the rankings.