How fast should you be pitching at certain college levels?

I remember this discussion awhile back where some was asking how fast they should be pitching for like d2 and someone had this chart… I looked for it and couldn’t find anything… Anyone remember what the speeds are?

Thanks
Greg

I’ve had multiple college coaches explain it the following way:

Its not that there are certain velocity brackets for guys throwing a certain velocity.

Its the higher level the program, the more guys they have throwing say 88+ and the longer those guys can maintain that speed.

The level of play has more to do with overall depth, the lower the level, the slower one can throw and consistently compete for sure. But the top guys at the lower levels can still bring it.

Although consider, the number of guys in college throwing 90+ isn’t as high as many seem to perceive it.
I remember talking with Ryan Tatusko (pitched at Indiana State) anyways, when EA Sports made a college baseball game a few years back, the first comment he made was that every pitch in the game was throwing 90+ regularly, but in real life it was more often than not the guy wouldn’t be hitting that range.

depends on the conference, depends on the school.

My school is a small division I conference and our staff has 2 guys who can regularly throw 90.

Our conference has maybe 10 guys tops that throw 90 consistantly.

There is a woodenbat DII conference in the northeast. The Northeast 10, they have plenty of guys who throw in the 90’s regularly.

So it really depends on the level of play that the school is at…

Well lets say NAIA… Cause I throw about 70-75

Well, I know it’s preferred to have a higher speed fastball in most cases but correct me if I’m wrong, the better control, breaking stuff and stamina you have the slower you can throw (especially for lefties).

Your looking at it wrong, just work hard and keep throwing and your velocity will rise, then see what doors open.

Don’t just say, “Ok I throw 70-75, What place will take me.”

Say ,“Ok I throw 70-75, what can I do to get that better”

I signed with an NAIA school last February and at the time, I was throwing 74-75.

On our team we have two junior righties bringing it 88-91.
We also have about six freshmen at 77-81.

It varies.

[quote=“LeftyBaseballr16”]Your looking at it wrong, just work hard and keep throwing and your velocity will rise, then see what doors open.

Don’t just say, “Ok I throw 70-75, What place will take me.”

Say ,“Ok I throw 70-75, what can I do to get that better”[/quote]

What can I do to get that better than?

I should also be posting some mechanics sometime in the next cpl days… A coach asked for em so he can evaluate me. And its a D1 school… :lol: :?

[quote=“Greg516”]

What can I do to get that better than?[/quote]

Strengthen your core, and legs. Sprints, and plyos.

Very correct Pustulio. In my experience in DIII i’ve seen everything from 78/79 mph to 92 mph. I would say that there is a minimum at about 78 or 79 mph. If you throw around 79 though, you will be expected to have two good breaking pitches, curve, slider, change. at a lower speed your expected to be a more complete pitcher. If you throw 83-87, your expected to have only one good breaking pitch, with at least another “junk” pitch. if you throw 90 + at DIII you can have a good 4 seam and 2 seam and thats all.

IF a pitcher at DIII only have 2 pitches it will mostly be a fb and a change up.

[quote=“kjeezey”]I signed with an NAIA school last February and at the time, I was throwing 74-75.

On our team we have two junior righties bringing it 88-91.
We also have about six freshmen at 77-81.

It varies.[/quote]

What school did you sign with?

I play for a NAIA school that has Been accepted to DII.
To give you an idea we had one pitcher who threw in the 88-91 range. We also have about 4 guys who were in the 85-89 range and but we also had some guys who are closer to the 77-81 range. We faced a handful of pitchers who were in the upper 80s most in the mid to lower 80s.
Surprisingly our closer who was a 1st all conference Closer is a lefty who tops at 80 but has 2 other plus pitches and throws from different angles. He was probably our 2nd most effective pitcher. So if you can move the ball around and change speeds you can play at a decent college level.

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to velocity in different levels of college. I have good friends who play NAIA baseball that throw in the high 80s/low 90s. I play on a top tier DI school and we only had a handful of guys capable of throwing in the 90’s. And just because they are capable doesn’t mean that is how hard they throw in a game. The majority of our pitchers sit in the mid to upper 80’s. We even have a few guys, who had major roles on our staff, that sit in the low 80’s.

While velocity seems to be the holy grail of the pitching world, it is not the end-all-be-all of pitching. In fact, it almost becomes irrelevant when you reach a certain level. In our league, a 94 mph fastball with aluminum bats means absolutely nothing. Every player in the league can, and will, hit it. It comes down to learning how to pitch. Learning to keep hitters off balance. Everyone at the high levels of baseball has the physical ability to play, but it is the mental side of the game that separates the haves from the have-nots.