How fast do they usually throw?

how fast do pitchers from D1, D2, and D3 throw?i just want to get an idea

There’s a huge range. It’s anywhere from 78 mph to 96 mph. Generally, most Division III guys are in the upper 70s to mid-80s range. Division II are in the 80s. Division I is 84 to 92 or 93. The elite pitchers – your Top 5 round draft picks – might touch mid-90s, but they consistently throw low 90s.

Sorry this isn’t more concrete. But pitch velocities are really all over the place in college ball.

Gary,

Coach Ellis is right on the money with his predictions for pitch velocities in the NCAA levels, as I have played at the NJCAA, DII, and DI levels.

I would also like to add that another major difference between DII and DI is how pitchers attack hitters. At the DI level (Big 12), 90% of the pitches thrown where fastballs or sliders, this makes since they are throwing in the upper 80’s/lower 90’s and touching the mid 90’s. The DII level, 90% of the pitches thrown where curveballs and change-ups, this also makes sense these pitchers did not have the over powering fastball they had to rely on their junk.

I’m gonna have to disagree with 90% of pitches at the D-II level being curves or change ups. That a pretty extreme number.

I agree. If pitchers were throwing curves and changes even more than 50% of the time, I would say that it would be extreme. While the pitch selection may be different, the percentage numbers usually are pretty close all across the board…Good pitchers throw 60-65% fastballs, 20-25% breaking balls, and 15-20% some type of off-speed pitch (change/split). Sure there are individuals that will throw more changes than normal, but on an average day, that is the type of pitch selection you will see.

The 76 to 94 range is fairly accurate. I play DIII and our ace topped out at 88 but everyone else was consistantly between high 70’s to mid 80’s. We do play Marietta and they had 2 guys last year, one that can touch 90 and another that could throw around 92. These are your typical late bloomers that developed while in school. Also Marietta is a elite program so they might have wanted to be the big fish in a small pond so to speak.

Steve is pretty much right on. Another thing that can contribute to velocity (in my opinion) is Temperature. I play for a D3 school in St. Louis and hit 91 while we were down in FL at the Russmat tourney in Port Charlotte. Although in STL, my pitchers were cosistantly 2-3 Mph slower than in FL until the weather warmed up.

I live in Michigan and weather at the beginning of the year here is horrible and we have to wear long sleeves regularly and we have to play some games with the temperatures less than 40 degrees. Are pitchers dont throw very hard because of the risk of injury. While it is warm every pitcher throws around 5 mph faster.

Hey i have a bit of an extra question to this. What is the average speed in junior colleges, or are they similar?

I think junior college velocities are even more all over the place… I watched a game between two of the better teams in the arizona junior college league last year. A friend of mine played for one of the teams and was sitting back there with a jugs gun, he told me that out of the six pitchers who threw that game the slowest ones fastball was around 86-87. with most of the pitches throwing at least 90 consistantly. However I have a very hard time believing that its like that with most junior colleges.

Many times people will go to a smaller school to gain exposure (big fish small pond) it makes it very difficult to really say. Just because you throw 88 does not mean you are a shoe in for a D1 school. Also just because you throw 80 does not mean you can not be D1.

I agree with Steve that is a fair description but it is only a rough estimate because there are many exceptions.

I played D2 this last year before transfering and we beat 90mph pitchers and lost to 75mph pitchers. People worry so much about velocity but at this age in the game it is almost impossible to be able to rely on a single heater unless your Nolan Ryan. From what I have seen, the best pitchers are able to work to their strengths and mix with movement and locate.