How far should you throw long toss?

How far should you throw long toss? I see players from 17U and below just using the same throwing routine of 30 ft, 60 ft, 90 ft, 120 ft, back to 30 ft. What are your thoughts on this? Should catchers be throwing longer than 120 ft since 2B is almost 128 ft.?

I’d say you should long toss up to your max. Max being how far you can throw the ball on a line. Don’t strain your arm too much though.

I am a firm believer in Jaeger style long toss. It has worked for me and everyone I know. My arm has never felt better since I began it.
Article on the 120 ft throwing program that I thought was interesting: http://www.jaegersports.com/press_articles.php?psid=34

Very interesting article. Seems to associate blame for more injuries on throwing programs limited to 120 feet. Not sure if this could ever be proven but interesting thoughts. Hope he’s correct; sons HS program as well as private instructor are firm believers in Jaeger type long toss.

My understanding is the 120’ limit that was the standard in MLB for some time was based on post injury recovery protocols.
There is no magic number in terms of distance.
There is also no reason to limit distance to 120 feet.
There are different ways to do long toss. I like mixing it up depending on how one is feeling.

Can you please explain the different types of long toss?

The Jeager model is the one my son uses mostly. I have known guys who have never thrown beyond 120 feet, including pro guys.
Intent is the real key. Going out to distance allows for feedback in terms of effort.
My son may throw Jaeger style one day going out to 300 feet or so, then may only go out 120 feet the next time with a lot of hard throwing.
So guys will throw LT from their knees.
I don’t think there is a right or wrong with it.
Depends on the person.
Read the article above from Jaeger.

As far as you can throw without altering your mechanics. Distance is not as important as technique. Long toss from the knees is pointless. Throwing comes from lower body energy production.

I would point to Craig Kimbrel throwing from his knees after his ankle broke and how it benefited him. And it benefited me when I had my bad knee and after my knee scope.

Before my knee scope my max long toss right around 300 ft and after my knee scope and throwing solely off my knees for a solid month(maybe 2 I don’t remember quite how long) my arm action and upper body rotation improved to the point where I’m able to get out to 320-325 ft. And hopefully further once I build my arm back up from having a big ole’ not above my collarbone.

So I wouldn’t knock throwing from one’s knees. Constraint training is a valid and effect method of training.

And actually most velocity comes from the upper body’s rotation. The fact that I personally long tossed from my knees at around 200ft shows this, and I believe people like Tom House say that 80% of velocity comes from the upper body. But don’t quote me on that.

Just some food for thought.

I stand corrected on my blanket statement. I should have said that throwing from the knees is pointless for an able - bodied person. The genesis of energy is not in the torso, it’s stored, transferred and amplified by the torso. Hip rotation is dramatically limited from the knees and the dynamic balance used during throws from one or both knees is completely different and non - transferable to a natural motion from your feet while on a mound. Also, I would say that getting on any structured throwing program in situations where a player was not on a program previously would lead to similar improvements as a long toss program. The arm gets stronger by more use. Period. More use that is as similar as possible to actual pitching would be better than throwing that is not as similar as possible to pitching. Don’t get me wrong, being able to rotate the hips and create torque through the torso is important and must certainly generate some power, but limiting the range of hips by being on one’s knees develops a different chain of movement than what would exist starting from one’s feet. I’ve always tried to stress the philosophy of practice as much like how you play as possible. It’s the only practice that is transferable to game situations. Obviously every pitch thrown in training shouldn’t be thrown with a batter present. Just ask yourself before each drill or program, how much is this like real pitching. If it’s not then you are wasting throws.