How does this happen

okay i just don’t understand this at all,

We were playing our championship game this weekend, and a team i had beaten before, 8-1 going 6 innings, and only allowing 1 run, we had to play them again.

And for some reason they were hitting the living piss out of me.

I was throwing extremely hard, extremely hard, was clocked at around 88mph. Anyways our league average is only around 75mph.

Anyways this kid on our team comes in and he throws 70mph. TOPS.

Seriously he has no other pitch at all, just fastball, he throws a mild curveball that doesn’t even break.

My curveball breaks off the table and is unreal. And i throw it at around 75mph. Anyways what i don’t understand, is that this kid threw every pitch down the middle and the other team never touched it at all.

LIke i go 1 inning 4 earned runs and 2 homeruns.

While this kid goes 4 innings i think like 6 runs, we still lose the game, but still. I just don’t understand. it was the semi-final game, and i just don’t understand how they cranked me, but they never touched him.

Sure he allowed 6 runs, but he pitched good.

I just don’t understand how they cranked my ball, but hardly hit his???

It’s because stuff isn’t everything. They had seen you before, they had seen how you go about business. Your location was probably off.

Your stuff may not have been as good as you perceived it, even if you were throwing hard, maybe it was flat.

The other guy probably hit his spots pretty well, he probably had a little tail or cut to his fastball. His duece may have been on that day. He may have outsmarted the other team. Or they went from seeing 85+to someone who doesn’t throw too hard and they’re out in front of the pitch.

I got by all 4 seasons of legion without throwing hard, even after my coaches took my knuckleball away this last year. I threw 4 CGs in a row and was 2nd on the team in wins even with limited time on the mound. All with a fastball that hit 75 max probably, a so-so curveball and a few make-shift pitches like cutters, splitters and screwballs every so often. I was only allowed a few knuckleballs per game and got a lot of strikeouts and pop-ups with it.

In double-headers I was used a lot as a change-up from a hard thrower in the second game. Or in relief of a hard thrower. That’s why the noodle-arm after you was effective.

It’s not how hard one throws so much as where.
Way back when, the St. Louis Cardinals had a pitcher named Howie Pollet who used to hold clubhouse meetings before games that he was going to pitch. He would set up his defense and tell them not only what he was going to throw but also where. He wasn’t exactly a Bob Feller or a Vic Raschi, but he was plenty fast, and he had some good stuff in addition to his fast ball, and he knew how to mix up his pitches and set the hitters up for his strikeout pitch.
Pustulio has a point—the batters had seen you before, and they knew what you were throwing, and they sat on the pitch they wanted to hit. There are times when throwing hard can be a disadvantage. My pitching coach used to tell me, “Move the ball around—high, low, inside, outside, and CHANGE SPEEDS. And stay away from the middle of the plate.” He was right. You have to be able to do that. The “noodle arm” who came in after you knew this, and he did it, and the batters couldn’t touch him.
My advice to you is this: get a good changeup and mix it in with your fast ball, and work on changing the batter’s eye level. That way he can’t set himself for a particular pitch because he doesn’t know what you’re going to throw. 8)

Crap. Sorry to hear about the loss. It happens. Whether it was confidence or having seen you before or whatever, they got you. Tip your cap. Shove it next time. Remember, for every great game you pitch, there’s going to beman average one and a bad one. Most pitchers lose the bad one. But the good pitchers win the average one and the great one.

Keep your head up!

Pustalio, my location was not off at all. i was throwing strikes, i was working them inside, and then bringing them outside, mixing it up well

While this kid was throwing them down the middle every single time.

That is why i don’t get it

Also, what you said before, about us bringing in someone slower, like that kid who was throwing 70mph, that is the reason why i think they couldn’t hit it, because of the speed difference.

Also this game was the final game and we lost in the last inning because our 1 of our pitcher walked 5 guys and then our other pitcher hit 2 batters.
And then 2 error by our 3rd baseman.

We were up 6 runs going into the last inning and we lost the game.

whats retarded as fuck is that the other team didn’t get a single hit, they were all walks, hit batters, and errors. What a way to end the season.

Wait a minute what position were you playing after you finished pitching to know where his pitches were and whether or not they were moving?

Were you catching? Because otherwise I just don’t see how you could tell the in and out part of where he was pitching. Everyone can see high and low but unless you’re catching or maybe in center I don’t know how you could tell what spots he was hitting.

Speed differential off the last pitcher isn’t going to be the sole reason he was successful. Even when Papelbon relieves Wakefield going up 30-40 mph in velocity if he doesn’t spot his pitches correctly or mix his speeds well enough he still won’t get a lot of outs.

@Barry Bonds, are you getting clocked on a jugs or stalker radar gun?

i am getting clocked with a stalker gun. Juggs gun make you throw like 2-4mph, so if i got clocked with a jugs i might throw 90mph

Anyways i was playing first base when it happened. But i was playing a deep shift to the right most of the time, becaus of the way the guys always pulled the ball.

Anyways i could see the pitches perfectly fine, their location was right down the middle. i didn’t need to see the curveball cause he never threw one. Maybe the odd one, but ya

I doubt he was throwing right down the turnpike or he would have been hammered. From the angle at 1st you can’t see in and out with any accuracy.

You can get an idea by how much the catcher moves whether it was a strike or not but if someone is throwing meatballs over the plate, no matter what he’s throwing it will get clobbered.

ya thats why i was in awe the whole game. Also i was playing first base, but like i said, most of their kids were sluggers so i was playing a deep shift, so i could see the pitches somewhat

Edit: even if he was locating, which he wasn’t

He only had a fastball, thats it. he threw it every pitch, for about 60pitches.

He did give up runs, but not many

I’ve played my fair share of first base and I know first off that you cannot see inside or outside, and any shift that would leave you to be able to see that at all would put you in a position where you could not cover the bag on a ground ball.

Sounds to me like you’re exaggerating to up the WTF factor and get people on your side. In fact the only people that know the location and movement of the pitch are the catcher, umpire and batter. I don’t really think the pitcher even sees the location very well, his depth perception is distorted because he sees where the ball hits the catcher’s glove. I have thrown many a high strike that looked to me like it crossed in the zone from the mound but hearing from my catcher or someone from the side it crossed at his hands and took a late drop.

Some of the best pitchers in the lower levels don’t throw hard or throw a lot of breaking stuff. They mix location and throw different variants of their fastball, including a b.p. fastball which Jamie Moyer will tell you is the most underrated pitch in baseball.

Believe it or not, other people can succeed besides yourself. If someone pitches badly it will show up in doses of hard hit balls and free bases. You seem to think that stuff and speed is all that there is to pitching. It certainly helps and to really advance into the pro game or anything you have to have it but the fact is plenty of people that go pro because of their stuff fail because they aren’t intelligent, they don’t understand pitching, don’t hit spots (in spite of what they will tell everyone else). The result is someone like a Kei Igawa or a Jeff Weaver who fails miserably when they get a shot in the bigs. While guys like Jamie Moyer and Mike Mussina can stick around for a long time without dominating stuff and be very successful.

It happens dude, don’t fret just re focus and continue on.

Thats baseball for ya…

sometimes shit happens, and you can’t always control it. In the long run, the better pitcher will emerge but over the course of one game it’s anyones guess as to what will happen.

I think college ball (if you decide that’s the route you want to take) will be good for you. It seems like right now your attitude is that just because you throw mid-upper 80s you can try to blow everyone away. In college that is an average fastball so you will really need to learn how to pitch rather than throw unless you plan on packing another 5-7 mph on to your fastball.

In high school I was much like you. I just chucked the crap out of the ball and aimed down the middle. I had a ton of natural movement which, more than anything else was what helped me be successful. My velo (85) and location (ha) certainly weren’t amazing. In college I repeatedly see that the guys who throw straight 92 mph fastball frequently get shelled while the crafty deceptive 87 mph pitchers with two quality pitches dice up lineups.

The problem is, scouts know that 87 mph probably wont cut it at the big league level even with the other factors, so they draft based on velocity, thinking the other stuff can be taught. So there is often a disparity between the pitchers who are being given opportunities at the next level and the pitchers who are actually having success at that current level. Polish gets you immediate results, raw stuff gets you opportunities to play at a higher level, but wont guarantee immediate results.

double post

Well said Lanky!