How does it feel to pitch on a mound (dirt)?

I’m going to start soon, but I always pitched on flat ground. I never felt how to pitch on a mound that was dirt.

I’m a little bit worried, because i stepped on a dirt mound it was uneven, the back leg dirt is deeper than the front leg (RHP). I think this would cause a uneven balance and ruin my mechanics, what do I do? HELP

First, do some groundskeeping out there! You have to make sure you’re going to be comfortable on whatever mound you’ll be pitching from, so mess around with it, smooth out the surface, make sure there are no potholes you might fall into. Then, before you’ll actually pitch from that mound, spend some time warming up on it—get your catcher to squoosh down behind the plate and throw to him. Back in the day, the starting pitchers used to warm up on the mound, and not just the usual eight pitches but a good twenty minutes’ worth; they would check out all their pitches to see how they were working. When I pitched I would throw off that 15-inch-high mound to get the feel of it—of course, now the mound is lower and flatter than it used to be. (“Expletive” the change in the rules to help the hitters.) And you should have no trouble. 8) :slight_smile:

What your going to find -more often than not, is an adjustment to this equipment and in particular the surface conditions.

Don’t be surprised if you find the folliowing pitcher’s mound when you arrive at the ball park.

As is usually the case, very little maintenance and grooming will be done for you when you take the field and approach the pitcher’s mound. Your going to find two things rignt off the bat.

First you’ll find a deep hole right in front of the pitcher’s rubber, then another hole right where your stride foot is going to land. Both by the way will not go unoticed by your attention span all during your work. Take a look at the picture below and you’ll see a what I mean.

The hole in the front of the rubber is going to force your pivot foot to be pointing downward, more often than not, forcing your body to commit your weight too far left or right depending on if your a RHP or a LHP. The picture below will give you some idea of what I’m refer’g to.

With respect to the hole in the front of the downward area of the mound, your stride foot is going to be plunging into a hole and giving you no confidence for landing … just when you need it the most.

So, here’s how you deal with these conditions:
Have your club - or you, bring an iron garden rake to the field/game and RAKE UP, not down, the soil or mound dirt and fill in these holes the best you can. Although sometimes this is impossible due to considerations that go beyond playing baseball - especailly if your the visiting team or even this work may be viewed as delaying the game. ( I’ve actually seen that called in two instances.) Another approach, is to use your cleats and bring the mound soil/dirt up the slanded surface and fill in all the holes and then stamp down with your cleats so as to give a solid, uniform appearance to the surface that your about to work off of. YOU MAY HAVE TO DO THIS WORK AFTER EVERY OTHER PITCH.

In any event, you want the surface to have as much support as possible not only to your physical feel and stability - but also in appearance so you do not have any apprehension while progressing with your pitch and delivery. The picture below will give you some idea of what I’m addressing here.

Coach B.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I hope i don’t lost velocity :smiley:

Ye watch out for the holes you fill find if your a late inning pitcher. My stride is long and short so my leg often gets caught in the hole against the rubber :evil: