How do you warm up?

I’m looking for some more good warming up to throw stuff. In little league/high school we pretty much just stretched and then started throwing (and perhaps mixed both)… I understand thats wrong now. Late in College I started some other things, running before practice, agilities, and some arm bands and this was before I started throwing. What are you guys doing before throwing?

run a pole, stretch, bullpen, get after it

Stretching is something that has just been proven to not prevent injury and should only be done after workout’s or game. DO some research on it ok.

[quote=“RIstar”]Stretching is something that has just been proven to not prevent injury and should only be done after workout’s or game. DO some research on it ok.[/quote]so stretching your legs and doing partner stretches on your arm is going to cause injuries huh

Well Stretching has been proven to do harm on the arm. You should never stretch the arm out before you throw only do tubing. And they did prove stretching DOES NOT PREVENT INJURY’S.

Ristar… :roll:

Why then oh pitching guru do MBL pitchers stretch, why does regular players stretch? Why do trackstars stretch? Stop reading guru’s stuff and following their every statement as if it’s gospel…it isn’t, if Dick Mills was the end all, he’d be under a mlb contract with somebody racking in money and keeping all of his so-called secrets to himself (I’m not saying he’s not smart or an good pitching coach, it’s just that he says things for a purpose…which is to market himself and set himself apart from his compitition). It is virtually impossible to predict what does or doesn’t “prevent injury” but you just go out there without warming up (Which is a form of stretching if you THINK about it) and see if you don’t injure yourself…maybe not the first time but you will.
Don’t you think (Now I’m challenging you here) that the pro’s have as much or more research/intelligence as Dick Mills? Don’t you think that they’d stop if it proved to have no benefit? We are talking about a multi-multi-billion dollar industry, they want return on their dollar, if anything…ANYTHING was taking or subtracting from their bottom line (Making money) I assure you it would stop.

LOL do some research like I did and you will find that study’s have proved that stretching dosn’t prevent injury’s ok. I don’t listen to Dick Mills I did my own research. I DO NOT FOLLOW DICK MILLS. I follow facts with back research.

Man, stretching may not necessarily prevent injury, but it loosens your muscles up some so you don’t have as great a chance to pull something. And last time I checked pulling something can cause injury. Also if you haven’t thrown in a while it would be a good idea to get those muscles warmed up a bit before you throw. Every coach I have ever heard of tells players to do some stretching so before activity and even when you go to pro games they stretch before they play so…

RIstar, what are your sources for this information? I have a hard time believing that you got it from a great source. What your saying is just like going out and saying “Did you know studies show that a glass of whole milk is as bad as smoking a pack a day?”

Not a smart idea to come on here and say things you know will have shots taken at it.

“LOL do some research like I did and you will find that study’s have proved that stretching dosn’t prevent injury’s ok”

What studies Ristar? What do they mean? Why don’t you address my points? Why do MLB players stretch? Why do every serious athlete stretch? Please, it may in your mind work to attempt to indicate someone has less knowledge because you read a magazine article, but when the rubber hits the road, go to any mlb park in the country, go to spring training, go to Minor league parks…you find me a place where they don’t stretch and you will find yourself a minute sliver of possible credability to your statement. Like I said, just practice what you preach and go ahead and throw a 100 pitch outing or 2 without stretching…no really I don’t want you to injure yourself, just open your eyes and understand, that where-ever you heard this absurd statement, they were likely speaking in context to something and not absolutes…ok…see I don’t want someone reading your absolute statement and taking it as anything more than a take on a theory…which is what it is…I would have people judge…A) Ristar is right why stretch it won’t help…or B) follow the example of every single mlb pitcher and spend some time limbering up and causing blood flow. I admire your dedication and study, I just want you to learn and understand when you make blanket absolute statements in the guise of being an “expert”, you are acting irresponsibly.ok?

I wanted to know what you guys are doing, not debate about whats right really shrug?

->you<- before a game, what do ->you<- physically do.

What’s important when warming up is to warm up. Literally. You need to raise the core temperature. Soft tissues like ligaments and tendons are more pliable when they are warm and being more pliable makes them more resilient against injury.

I suggest Googling “dynamic warmup” and read some of the many “hits” the search returns. You will find articles that discuss warming up versus stretching.

I have my players do a dynamic warm-up. Below is the routine. Note that it integrates some strength and flexibility work into our warm-ups.

• Jog forward/jog backward (soft knees, heads stay level)

• Skip forward/skip backward (soft knees, heads stay level)

• Karaoke left/karaoke right (arms up, shoulders twist opposite the hips)

• Walking lunges forward/walking lunges backward (arms up, shoulders twist opposite the hips)

• Side lunges left/side lunges right

• Shoulder twists (feet together, hands on hips, shoulders twist left/right, hips stay still)

• Bridges (hold for 2-3 minutes)

• Arm circles (small circles forward/backward, large circles forward/backward, 3 hand positions each)

• Side saws/front saws (3 hand positions each)

• Palm prayer presses (move rapidly left/right, elbows swim forward/backward, hands rotate up/down, hands wave left/right)

• Fingertip prayer presses (move rapidly left/right, elbows swim forward/backward, hands rotate up/down, hands wave left/right)

• Reverse palm presses (palms together behind back, press hard and hold)

• Forearm presses (forearms and palms together in front of body, fingers toward sky, press and hold, move up and down through range of motion while pressing, press pinky finger as hard as can, then ring, middle, index, and thumb successively)

• Arm box presses (right arm out to side and bent forward 90 degrees, left arm extended forward and bent right at 90 degrees to form box with arms, left hand on top of right hand, press together and hold - 3 hand positions, then repeat with left hand underneath and right hand on top - 3 hand positions, then repeat on other side.

We sometimes do other things for some variety including elastic tubing work.

I coach a 15u travel team. We limit our practices to 2 hours each. The above routine, I feel, gives the kids a good warm-up and lets them work on some stength and flexibility at the same time. We normally get through the routine in about 20-25 minutes.