How do you throw your bullpens?

Ever throw them in “sets,” or do you tend to throw them straight through? There’s no wrong answer, just curious … I did it both ways, but preferred sets.

I do both but i prefer sets too. It is more like a game.

Right now I am at 5 sets of 20. 1st set all FB. 2-5 sets catcher calls pitches. 5th set game intensity.

How much time between sets?

How much time total does it take you?

How much time between sets?[/quote]

However many minutes it takes for the other starter to throw his 100 pitches. Our 4 starters are at 100 pitches relievers at 50

I just throw them right through, start with fastballs, then when I’m feeling good about those throw just a few more and then go to the knuckleball. Throw that for a while to keep it sharp and then once I feel like the knuck is sharp enough I get into my secondary stuff and just toss a couple curves and changes to make sure they aren’t 400 ft. bombs every time I throw them, (they aren’t really part of my usual repertoire).

Then once I’m fatigued I just throw 5 more fastballs, 5 more knucks and then 3 more curves and 1 more change.

we throw ours straight through unless its inseason and a pitcher misses a start. we then throw a simulated game. sitting between innings. we script our bullpens. if anybody would like a copy just email me at coachd_04@yahoo.com
i’m working on a couple more scripts right now. let you know when i have those typed up.

How I used to throw my bullpens:
As you know, I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of. After a few minutes of warming up, I would throw straight through. I would throw all of my pitches to see how they were working, and if I discovered that one of them wasn’t behaving itself I wouldn’t use it at that particular time. I had no particular sequence; sometimes I would start off with my knuckle-curve or the slider, and other times I would begin with one of my shelf full of changeups. I liked to experiment with some of my pitches—try a different grip, for example, or see how it worked with the crossfire. After about fifteen minutes I would stop and rest for about five, then I would throw a sequence of pitches that I intended to use in a game, then another—and finally I would knock off for the day. As for the misbehaving pitch, I would wait a couple of days and then get after that one; it was usually the curve ball that didn’t want to do what it was supposed to, so I would concentrate pretty much on that, tweak it a bit, and finally I got it to break the way I wanted it to.
And on the day that I would pitch, I would just warm up for twenty minutes and then pull the windbreaker on and get out to the mound. I would take my usual eight warmup pitches and get going. :slight_smile:

At my school we had 3-5 guys throwing live in cages to our hitters. 1-2 guys were usually our closer types who threw 1-2 sets of 20 pitches.

Then the rest of the guys were our long relief or starters would throw 4-6 sets of 15 depending on their role. This simulated innings and was a great way to take a breath and think about what you want to work on in your next set.

One thing I like to Actually do for Bullpens Is Starting from behind the mound slightly, once my arm is loose…

I throw 3-8 pitches with high focus and concentration (game like mentatlity) and really focus on hitting my spot… I do this before toeing the rubber for a pre-game bullpen session…

• Once I step on the mound, it seems a little closer, and more confortable * personal thing i guess…

Then I start working my sessions… I do both…

In Season - Straight through sessions, 30-60 pitches… (changing velocity… heavier pens will usually be at 70% velocity)… lighter pens (30 pitches) 80-100%…

Out of Season - We split them up into inning between two pitchers… One throws his first inning, then another starter throw his first inning and so-on… Were on a strict pitch count, and once you reach that, its your last batter… So you can go 6/7 innings on 60 pitches or 2 innings 60 pitches… ps these session in late off-season are against live hitters… earlier sessions rotate every 15 pitches…