How do you throw a changeup

im currently used as a reliver. 1. im not consistent enough
2. im erratic.
3. i dont have a 3rd pitch.
my curve ball is pretty good. i hold it like a hybrid curvve/slide but i call it a curve even tough i throw it like a slurve.
my fastball is good but has inconsistent movement and i guess i have to deal with that and i have to learn a changeup. and one hav any suggestions?

i dont knoq qhich one you want to throw. theirs 4 kinds. theirs the least common circle change. breaks like a screwball. the straight change. good for beginners. and theirs a palmball. the slowest. which is good. its great for people with big hands. like myself. and the vulcan change which moves like a splitter. very uncomfortable. maybe i held it the wrong way. and the fosh change-up. eric gange threw by makin a circle. with the vulcan change grip.

private message me or tell me on here what kind you wanna learn. or i can teach you all.

-arsenal-
4seam
2seam
palmball
knuckle-curve

i dont knoq qhich one you want to throw. theirs 4 kinds. theirs the common circle change. breaks like a screwball. the straight change. good for beginners. and theirs a palmball. the slowest. which is good. its great for people with big hands. like myself. and the vulcan change which moves like a splitter. very uncomfortable. maybe i held it the wrong way. and the fosh change-up. eric gange threw by makin a circle. with the vulcan change grip.

private message me or tell me on here what kind you wanna learn. or i can teach you all.

-arsenal-
4seam
2seam
palmball
knuckle-curve

Teach me the straight change or the vulcan. And idk if my hands are big ny middle finger is about middle fingrr the tip to the end of my palm is abouy 4 inches 4.5[/qt]

dont know why my post got posted times. anyways.

the sraight change: grip the ball with your middle index and ring on top where you grip your 4seam. have your thumb on bottom and your pinky under the ball and try to make it touch your thumb. grip the ball deep in the palm of your hand. creates friction and slows the ball down.

vulcan change: if you do that thing where you pinky and ring are together and your middle finger and index are together but seperated from the other two fingers. the alien star trek thing. you cant throw this change. like me for example.

grip the ball like a splitter but with middle And ring. have the fingers next to those next to the middle and index. thumb on bottom an deep in the palm of your hand.

theres pictures in the article section of this website. click on pitchs and youll find it.

tips: throw it like your fastball. not faster not slower

I throw the straight change with my middle finger and ring finger on the seams of ball like a with the seams 2 seam fastball (gives a changeup with 2 seam movement). Then I just allow the rest of my fingers to surround the ball evenly. DOn’t forget to keep your wrist relaxed otherwise it will just be a slow fastball. LAst thing is don’t slow your arm speed down, secret to a good changeup is, “Make it look like a fastball”.

What about a palmball

I don’t think you get much movement out of a palm ball, just my opinion.

like buwhite said the palmball doesnt get a lot of movement. i throw one though. because im playing with juinor high kids. 10-14. they cant see the difference with my fastball and change. then i throw them as knuckle curve once in a blue moon.

trevor hoff pronates his arm on his palmball. i do this a lot too. but not a lo. causes stress

ok just wanted to clear some things out, the vulcan change is what eric gagne threw, it was a splitter held with middle and ring finger instead of index and middle finger he would then make a circle like a circle change and when he threw it he pulled down with his middle finger on the ball not like a curveball where you make it spin over the top, more like a circle change though with the finger spreaded appart like this the ball would spin less making it dive hard as it reached the plate

the foshball on the other side, is a 3 finger change up where the ball is held like a forkball but instead of using the index and middle finger, you use the index and ring finger resting your middle finger on top of the ball, everything else from that point on is done like a forkball, its a great pitch for people with smaller hands that are looking for an alternative to the forkball. im surprised not much pitcher use it though, the piitch puts way less stress on the arm than a forkball.

I think this a job that only Zita can take care of.

quick tip: the changeup is the most important pitch for a location pitcher. your fastball can look way faster with a good change up

Let me try to clarify some of these explanations, because it seems to me they’re a little complicated and some people might have a problem understanding them. The one constant is that you have to throw the changeup—any changeup—with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as you do the fast ball; to do anything else would be telegraphing the pitch, and that is a no-no.
To begin with—the forkball got its name from the fact that you actually grip the ball between the index and middle fingers, that’s how wide apart they’re spread. It’s a slow pitch—and unless you have a King Kong-sized paw you’d be well advised to avoid it, because that grip places a horrendous strain on the hand, the arm and subsequently the shoulder and can lead to all kinds of injuries. It has a faster-moving cousin, the splitter or split-finger pitch, and for this you grip the ball with the index and middle fingers just off the seams; this is a less extreme grip and actually easier to throw and to control. You throw this the way you would the fast ball. and if you don’t have that large a hand this would be a good one to work on.
There are actually two forms of the so-called “Vulcan change”. The second one is less common but more interesting; you grip the ball with the index and middle finger off the seam on one side and the fourth and fifth finger off the seam on the other side—think Spock’s “Live long and prosper” signal, with the thumb underneat the ball for support. And yes, you throw it like a fast ball.
I’ve heard of the “foshball”. It seems that there are several ways to throw it; perhaps the most easily understood is that it’s a slower version of the splitter. You use the same grip, but not as tightly as you would for
a regular splitter. My pitching coach once told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup, so actually one has a whole closetful of them to choose from. It’s a fascinating business.
A word about the circle change, by the way—if you’re having trouble forming the complete circle with the thumb and the index finger, you might try the backwards “c” on that side of the ball—and also you might have the middle and fourth fingers closer together and offcenter the way you would use the index and middle fingers when you throw a slider. I wound up doing that, and it was a very effective pitch for me. 8)