How do you know when it's time to hang up the cleats?

I enjoy baseball, it’s a great game and I love playing it and I love to fun times had with teammates.

I’m going to finish this year no matter what, I’ve already put so much money into this that it would be dumb not to finish the year off.

But lately I’ve been having doubts about whether or not I should continue playing for the club team here at UWyo.

It costs a lot of money and takes up a lot of time, and there’s not a lot of reward for it either. The people who are in charge are a tight knit group who play almost all the games, even in these recent meaningless pre-season games. Some people take it way too seriously and others are just crybabies about everything.

I’m also having trouble being the only sober one whenever we’ve gone on trips, especially this most recent one.

I’ve had a lot of fun with baseball and still am but it’s getting to the point where I think maybe I ought to just say enough is enough, get a part time job while I’m going to school and dedicate myself to achieving my life goals in the future. Besides I can still help coach my old legion team (coach asked me to) during the summers.

I also have a lot of other commitments that take up time like talent show, open-mic stand up performances, and my secular students alliance that are less demanding financially and take up less time that I can’t really participate in as much as I’d like with the commitment to a baseball team.

These are my thoughts, what are yours? At what point do you decide that the fun you have with baseball isn’t worth continuing?

The questions that you’re asking show maturity and a sense of reason – a balance. Not many of us get that far in life.

As a suggestion, I would relish all the good memories and congratulate yourself for enjoying the game – as it should be.

It’s time now to pass on your knowledge to a new generation, to let them know what you know, to enjoy what you’ve enjoyed.

Being part of an American Legion coaching staff says volumes for the trust that someone has in you. I mean trust in the form of reputation, honesty, and being an example for someone very young. Go for it. Establish yourself as the “go to man” when it comes time to act like a man, take responsibility like a man, act in a way both on and off the field with respect for those that are sponsoring all those connected with the Legion club.

You once said that you’d like to look into coaching – well here’s one opportunity that’s just sitting on your doorstep waiting for you to invite it in.

So, here’s my suggestion:
 Focus on your studies and a career.
 Accept the Legion position and see if coaching is your thing.
 Perhaps look into a sports management course.
 Follow your heart – what puts a fire in your belly
Every morning when you get up.

We only go this way ONCE. Once is the only shot your got to do
what you need to do to be happy. Trust your instincts, go in the
direction that has pulled you from day one. I did. I don’t make a lot of dough,
but I’ve never worked in my life. It’s a passion with
Me that makes me look forward to every sunrise.

Coach B.

Pustulio :wink:
It doesn’t have to be over…there are MABL teams out there…they are tremendous fun…don’t let the club be your last hooray…yes there is the time to understand where you fit in the scheme of things…but this game never leaves us…it just gets to the spot where it gets…As Coach said…take the opp with the legion, keep your head in it…I say never allow someone else to move you one way or the other…life is too short. If the club thing isn’t good…cut your losses…don’t be miserable while a bunch of drunken idiots make you embarressed and disgusted…get away from them…heck…go assist some LL team while your at school and do the summer stuff too. Your energy and creativity are your only boundries…you’ve got plenty of both…and a family of friends here that always welcome and care about you.

What JD and Coach say make sense, and I’d follow their advice.

If it were me I’d find another team that I could play for in the summer, focus on school and just enjoy playing the game.

Thanks for the advice guys :slight_smile:

I am going to finish this year and then make my decision from there.

I will take advantage of the opportunity with the legion team, which will have to be put off until July though (I’ve got to travel to be my friend’s best man at his wedding).

I’ve often thought about going into sport psychology if I get into grad. school which could lead to a career involving baseball in some way, who knows?

Anyways, thanks again Coach B., JD and Wales. You guys are awesome.

I want you to know that the baseball community is like a family. We share a common thread that’s hard to explain - but it’s there.

As you’ve seen here, those of us who are in the game, have real interest in helping others come along. In that regard, you impressed me as a man who shares that demeanor - thus my suggestion of going the Legion route.

Coaching Legion ball can lead to other things - I’ve seen it. Those young men at that age will go on into other walks of life and will take a little bit of you with them. Kind of like a message into the future that you’ll never receive - but you will experience the benefits that’ll come back your way.

Ask any high school or college coach if they ever assited a Legion club and you’ll find a huge population that’ll say “yes”. Coaching Legion ball could be a springboard to bigger and better things in this sport.

In any event, best wishes to you. We’re all here for you when you need us.

Coach Baker

It’s never truely time to hang up the cleats if you really love the game, if you can’t play you can coach, mentor and help advance the game of baseball. Maybe you can’t be competitive any more but it’s still being part of the game.

Good luck Pustuilo be sure to keep us informed.

How do you know when it’s time to hang up the ole cleats?
 The wife says – “I just clean that floor, don’t bring those dirty, ugly
things in here!”
 The wife says – “ And where do you think you’re going? Mother
will be here any minute, put something decent on.”
 The wife says – “ Oh there you are, let me tell you what YOUR
son did today!”
 The wife says – “ I made an appointment today for the dog to
to get fixed. Think about that for a moment.”
 The wife says – “ Does this make me look fat?”
 The wife says – “ But I need the cars today, both of them.”
 The wife says – “ Don’t look at me like that, you know what I mean!”
 The wife says – “ What the !$#@! does rosin mean? I found this stuff
In the back pocket of your pants while doing the wash and it ruined my
Sweaters!”
 The wife says – “ The school called today and YOUR son can’t control
Himself …. he spits constantly and keeps grabbing his crotch!”
 The wife says – “ Stop looking so dejected – so what if no scout called
today, now get dressed, we’re going shopping.”
 The wife says – “ How many trash cans are you going to go through?
I tell you …. those things looked so dirty and old … how was I to know?”

:nosleep:

:lol:

I picture you doing this like Letterman’s Top 10

Coach Baker, is that a checklist, answer yes to 3 or more and “it’s time to go!!!”

Dino’s answers to Coach B.’s hang up questions:
How do you know when it’s time to hang up the ole cleats?

 The wife says – “I just clean that floor; don’t bring those dirty, ugly
things in here!”
“Sorry, dear, I couldn’t tell.”

The wife says – “ And where do you think you’re going? Mother
will be here any minute, put something decent on.”
“I’m sorry, didn’t I tell you about that colonoscopy I had today?”

 The wife says – “ Oh there you are, let me tell you what YOUR
son did today!”
“Don’t bother dear, I was with him.”

 The wife says – “ I made an appointment today for the dog to
to get fixed. Think about that for a moment.”
“Why, has Roy been hugging your leg again?”

 The wife says – “ Does this make me look fat?”
“Of course not dear, by the way have you seen my glasses?”

 The wife says – “ But I need the cars today, both of them.”
“Really, I thought you could only wreck one car at a time?”

 The wife says – “ Don’t look at me like that, you know what I mean!”
“If I knew what you meant, I wouldn’t look at you like that.”

 The wife says – “ What the !$#@! does rosin mean? I found this stuff
In the back pocket of your pants while doing the wash and it ruined my
Sweaters!”
“Wow, that’s a relief. I thought you were turning prematurely gray.”

 The wife says – “ The school called today and YOUR son can’t control
Himself …. he spits constantly and keeps grabbing his crotch!”
“And your point is…………”

 The wife says – “Stop looking so dejected – so what if no scout called
today, now get dressed, we’re going shopping.”
“You mean I didn’t tell you about how they screwed up my colonoscopy and had to reschedule for today?”

 The wife says – “ How many trash cans are you going to go through?
I tell you …. those things looked so dirty and old … how was I to know?”
“As many as it takes dear, as many as it takes.”

lmao

“hanging up the cleats” as in quit? I’m sorry but I don’t know the definition of quit, its simply not in my vocabulary. I plan on playing until my arm falls off and even then I have a perfectly good other arm.

Everyone has to give playing the game up at some point bud.

Kind of reminds me of Monty Python and Arthur King of the Britain’s meeting with the Black Night…

[quote]“I move for no man.”
“Tis but a scratch”
“You’ve got no arms left.”
“It’s just a flesh wound”[/quote]