How do you know if you have a rotator cuff tear

I’ve had this sore spot at the top of my shoulder, a little bit towards the front … I’ve had it for about three weeks… which means I’ve pitched with it in 4 games …

My last start was exactly a week ago and on 3 days rest and I pitched a complete game…

Once I warm up a bit, the pain completely goes away … only to re-emerge the next day…

it’s not a debilitating pain, it’s just very annoying and is starting to concern me…

I haven’t picked up a ball until my last start one week ago, until tonight when I played catch, and that darn little sore spot was still there…

i don’t feel it in my daily life, only if I hold my arm completely straight and to the back…

My next start is scheduled for Saturday. I can’t imagine sitting it out. I’m just that kind of fanatical competitor. Even though my gut tells me it would be smart to sit out, it would be so hard for me to do…

Keep in mind, I’m 28. I’ve never had serious arm trouble.

I do not want to see a doctor if I don’t have to.

I had tendities in the rotator cuff, and it was extremely painful to throw a ball at a good velocity, my suggestion since your not going pro pop a couple aleve ,the magic blue pill and that usually take the edge off and gut it out and then go see a doctor how many gms do you have left? if not many I would still see a DR but then it’s up to you on how much pain can you take.

I did tubing exercise and it got rid of the pain strenthen you r rotator cuff bands.

I was doing some reading, and yeah, I think it is tendonitis…

I have about 3 games I’ll be pitching in between now and the end of August… I don’t think the schedule goes beyond that…

I can definitly pop some advil or alieve and pitch through the pain with no problem… that’s what I’ve been doing.

…but my question is whether or not doing so will increase the risk of a serious injury.

I don’t think it will actually increase your risk of serious injury. Could make the pain worse, and lengthen the amount of time it takes to go away.
I had patella tendonitis (right below the knee cap), from catching. I’m not a catcher by any means, but I caught BP every single practice. Now, I caught through it, and it eventually went away. But, I also had surgery on that knee the following fall, after 7 weeks of unsuccessful physical therapy. But, the surgery wasn’t because of the tendonitis. The tendonitis just exposed another fault in my knee.

wow- so no one is issueing me a stern warning against pitching with tendonitis, or telling me any horror story about pitching with tendanitis??

I’m surprised.

I guess we’re all a bunch of tough guys.

Tendonitis - if that’s what you have - usually only goes away with rest.

How do you know if you’ve torn your rotator cuff? You doctor tells you. :wink:

For all of you following my goings-on, waiting with baited breath for an update … well, I sat out this weekends games … didn’t even show up to play first base or DH … just stayed home … what a killer …

The rest should be doing me well, I haven’t been throwing and the pain is vastly reduced from my day-to-day life …

NOW the issue is once I come back and make a start this Sunday, how rusty will I be? And will the arm strength I’ve been building up all season be drained, gone, lost…

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]For all of you following my goings-on, waiting with baited breath for an update … well, I sat out this weekends games … didn’t even show up to play first base or DH … just stayed home … what a killer …

The rest should be doing me well, I haven’t been throwing and the pain is vastly reduced from my day-to-day life …

NOW the issue is once I come back and make a start this Sunday, how rusty will I be? And will the arm strength I’ve been building up all season be drained, gone, lost…[/quote]

You might be a little rusty not anything you shouldn’t be able to work out in the bull pen before gm, might be a little stronger with the adrenalin flow might be wild or up in zone other than that should be ready to go. Arm strengh won’t be gone just because you sat out a week. let me know how sunday’s gm goes.

yeah, I’m mostly concerned about my control … I’ve been doing just some dry mechanical work in my apartment without a ball to keep that in tact … I think I will just do a soft toss bullpen on Friday … take the hill on Sunday … I’ll let you all know how it goes …

This sounds like it could be a problem with your Subscapularis muscle (which is one of the 4 muscles that makes up the rotator cuff).

You should go see a doctor.

Also, do you have a video of yourself throwing?

I’ve been trying to load a QuickTime video onto Youtube but it won’t work for some reason …

however, I suspect that I don’t open my hips enough before my lead foot plants … and there also might be a problem that my elbow is below my shoulder when I take my hand past my ear … if that’s any clue to anything…

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]I’ve been trying to load a QuickTime video onto Youtube but it won’t work for some reason …

however, I suspect that I don’t open my hips enough before my lead foot plants … and there also might be a problem that my elbow is below my shoulder when I take my hand past my ear … if that’s any clue to anything…[/quote]

Feel free to send the clip directly to me at chris@chrisoleary.com.

Also, having your elbow below the level of your shoulders, as long as it’s just below your shoulders, is a good thing and not a bad thing. It’s when the elbow moves above the level of the shoulders that I start to worry (and see an increased incidence of shoulder problems).

In this photo of Nolan Ryan, his elbows are below his shoulders…

I think this photo helps to explain his longevity.

SO… I pitched this weekend on Saturday … I was very wary as to how I’d feel … I went 5 innings, gave up one run, and then I took myself out of the game, just to be cautious — it was VERY hard to take myself out like that, but it was the SMARTEST thing I could’ve done.

Regarding any pain, I didn’t have any more than what is to be expected. Now, two days after the game, I feel fine. No soreness!!

Otherwise, I was really uncomfortable out there. I was rusty, and I just didn’t have my good stuff … and yet I was effective … isnt’t that great, when you have nothing and yet you fight and find a way to be effective…