How do you hit an Erik Bedard?

Nolan came up against a southpaw with some really good stuff. Good fastball, hellacious curve. This fella turned his back to the batter ala Erik Bedard or Luis Tiant (for those of you old enough to remember) and slung the rock like he didn’t care whether it went across the plate or across the lake.

I should have posted vid, but then I would have had to get his okay for it. Anyway, the kid hid the ball so well it seemed to add 5 mph to his fastball, and there was no way to pick up the release point because he seemed to change it with every pitch.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to beat this pitcher?

Thanks!

Hose

How do you hit any really good southpaw?
It’s a well-known fact that a good lefthanded pitcher can be tougher to hit than a good righthander. I watched the Indians-Twins game last night (thank you, MLB ExtraInnings), and one of the really top-flight lefthanders in the league, C.C. Sabathia, just shut the Twins down. He gave up five hits, two of which were followed by spectacular double plays, and walked no one…and I think that last is one of the keys to being virtually unbeatable. Sabathia is a “contact” pitcher, which as my old pitching coach of decades ago put it, simply means “get the ball over the plate and make the batter hit it. Make him go after YOUR pitch, what you want him to hit.” So he doesn’t strike out a lot of batters, although I’ve seen him fan 10 0r 11—but he doesn’t walk anybody either.
Erik Bedard is another such pitcher, and when he’s really on he’s one of the toughest. I would think that the best solution is just to wait him out, hope he misses the plate enough times to draw a walk. Also, a pitcher with a motion such as you describe is prone to throw a wild pitch every now and then—I’ve seen that happen. So my suggestion is simply this: don’t even try to hit the guy. Wait him out. If you can foul off a few pitches, so much the better. Make him work. Drive up his pitch count. Sooner or later he’ll make a mistake. 8)

sage advice from the goddess. These types are more their own enemy, particularly if they don’t get a location they want called for a strike…and think fb react cb…look to take him backside until he comes in. All stuff designed to get him out of his comfort zone.

Sabathia had the shadows working for him.

and his 97mph fastball. and that reminds me, sabbathia is massive.hes like 6’8 and 300 some pounds. i remember watching him against chien ming wang and seeing the size difference when he was on the mound compared to wang was mind blowing.

Sorry guys I just gotta ask…what do you get when you mix a Fukudome and a Wang?..A seriously worried broadcaster :wink:

I think the asian guys will bring back the nickname in Baseball in a real way.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Sorry guys I just gotta ask…what do you get when you mix a Fukudome and a Wang?..A seriously worried broadcaster :wink:

I think the asian guys will bring back the nickname in Baseball in a real way.[/quote]

That right there is one of the funniest posts ive seen since ive been here, jd.