How do you get movement on pitches?

Does anyone know? My fastball is really straight and I know this will get me into some trouble in high school.

It really depends, there are a lot of different factors such as ball orientation, arm slot, grip, etc. What kind of movement are you looking for?

I would really like to get some tail on my 2 seamer. I would also like some sinking movement on my fastball and change-up.

I would really like to get some tail on my 2 seamer. I would also like some sinking movement on my fastball and change-up.[/quote]

For me I’m finding that lower my arm slot a little bit from over the top-high 3/4 just high 3/4 is helping me reclaim my sinker. From what I’ve read its the 2-8 rotation (righty, 10-4 for lefty) that helps a sinker sink. I’ve head extra pressure on your index finger gets more tail (leads to pronation). My advice: tinker around with different wrist orientations and finger pressures.

As for sink on a change-up, try to pronate as you release the ball. At least that’s what’s worked for me.

put your hand out, palm down and turn your wrist inwards to your hand is facing \ if your right handed and / if your left

my wrist naturally does this at release and it helps me get a whole lot of movement on my pitches, hence ‘offset’ :stuck_out_tongue:

i dunno if this would be safe to do on purpose but its something you could maybe try a few times? only hard part is to stay ontop of the ball and not have the ball roll off the inside of your index finger.

the factor that causes movement on pitches is spin. different spins are caused by different arm slots, pronation, suppination, finger pressure, etc.
mess with these and you should be able to get some tail on your fastball

Pronation would be like a snaping motion downward with your wrist? Right at release? Also what is suppination?

Pronation is when your hand rotates so that the palm faces outward. Think of it as your and rolling over top of the ball. Suppination is the opposite, sort of rolling under the ball.

Not the best analogy, sorry.

How do you suppinate? Just turn your wrist opposite of pronating? I was throwing bullpen and put a lot of pressure on my index finger and threw it at a 2/8 angle and it really tailed. I am going to work on the pronation with the change-up, I think it will really help.

Pronation is when your hand rotates so that the palm faces outward. Think of it as your and rolling over top of the ball. Suppination is the opposite, sort of rolling under the ball.

Not the best analogy, sorry.[/quote]
Wouldn’t that take away from fastball speed?

Hey im new to this, ive been reading for awhile but finally signed up. But i was wondering if pronatating would mess up ur arm?

Pronating enables the larger muscles of your back for slowing down your arm.

Alrite, throwing the c change should u have ur arm already pronated at the arm break?

If you’d like…
to tip your pitches, the other team will really appreciate it…maybe even send you a Christmas card, or a signed bumper sticker from their team. Of course you may wear them out running around all those bases. 8)
Everything should look like a fastball until your hand is into delivery and in front…every little edge you give is going to be used on you by them.

haha good point, but like im the kinda pitcher that that brings the throwing arm towards first on the break, Is that bad? if so how can i hide the ball better to not hint the change or anything pitches?

video would be a big help as I’m not sure what you mean. Hiding the ball is good, generally, less chance to let the batter adjust the better. I wouldn’t let it effect my mechs attempting to hide it more. If you are saying you over rotate, I’d recommend you fix that. It will always effect your location and accuracy and will tire you needlessly.

Yeah thats what i meant over rotating, but ill try and get a vid from my phone or something lol i dont have a camera. But i guess its not to dramatic cuz i have pretty accuracy but i just hear about it being bad alot so ill try and fix it a bit. Thanks