How do you aim a curveball?

Hey, I was just wondering how you would aim your curveball. Like when you have an 0-2 count on a batter and you just threw a fastball high and inside for effect to keep them honest. I want to how you would throw it in the same spot but break it down into a strike.

Like anything you’ll learn in this game, it takes time and practice to make anything work. You won’t have to aim your pitches if you put in the work in the pen. While warming up, you should always pitch to spots, especially with the fastball. Then, when throwing other pitches, change, curve and so on, you should be using the same mechanics, same delivery, just changing your grip and pulling the curve ball down. It will eventually go close to where you want it after many hours of pen work. I would hope that you’re at least 15 since you’re throwing a curve. Otherwise, have someone wth experience watch you throw it to be sure that your arm slot is good and that you are not turning (suppinating) your wrist and forearm. Good luck and work hard, as those two go hand in hand.

Coachric

well even though this isnt real life when i play a baseball game i on the computer i tend to throw a fastball and a changeup or a fast slider low & inside just painting the corner. Then i tend to throw an off curveball outside so it drops and paints the bottom outside corner. That me ina game but im not really sure about it in a real game. I think it might work though b/c u will have the batter thinking another fastball inside but u throw an offspeed curve outside and have them lunging. So it can do either have them hit a ground ball or a strike out.

Normally on an 0-2 curve you dont wanna hang it and let them get an easy base hit. I normally aim for their back foot or to the back corner of the plate that way it is sufficiently out of the strike zone and you dont fall too behind if they dont swing.

You don’t “aim” anything, you throw/pitch, your goal should always be to hit the target your catcher puts up, throw your curve to that spot, let your fundementals take control and throw through the target. The curve will go where you want it to you just have to know it will.

well the weird part is that i have 3 different locations for my curve ball.
a knuckle curve which i have barly thrown which i throw like i throw my fastball (over my head)
a regular curve which i tend to slant alittle like about a 45 degree angle from my head
a sidearmed curve which just rise where you throw like a submarine pitcher starting down and then up

Althought you don’t aim a curve, you have to know where you want it to go. You don’t just trust your fundamentals, and close your eyes and throw it. You have to trust your mechanics yes, BUT YOU DO NEED A AIMING POINT to throw it. Not aim it. I always start my curve at the top of the batters shoulder since mine is more of a 1.7 and then I start it at his belt when I am throwing 0-2.

It all just comes with feel and repitition.

well i try to throw a curveball two places…knee high on the inside corner and in the dirt outside…i also have a 1 to 7, so if i’m throwing it inside i try aiming it at the batters ear and if i want it low and in the dirt outside i actually aim for right down the middle

people say “don’t aim the ball”, but i dont know what that’s about…when i’m pitching i try to throw it exactly to a specific spot, not an “area” but an exact spot…obviously i dont hit it everytime but i try to thread the needle

if you practice that way and have the mindset that u can, and the confidence in your stuff then it should work out for you

and also back to your question, peoples curve balls do different things…i’ve personally figured out that the curve goes low and away in comparision to where i aim the ball, so aim your ball and see where it ends up consistently then determine your target afterwards

you have the exact attitude I have pitching

well said

[color=blue]jdfromfla wrote:
You don’t “aim” anything, you throw/pitch, your goal should always be to hit the target your catcher puts up, throw your curve to that spot, let your fundementals take control and throw through the target. The curve will go where you want it to you just have to know it will. [/color]

Althought you don’t aim a curve, you have to know where you want it to go. You don’t just trust your fundamentals, and close your eyes and throw it. You have to trust your mechanics yes, BUT YOU DO NEED A AIMING POINT to throw it. Not aim it. I always start my curve at the top of the batters shoulder since mine is more of a 1.7 and then I start it at his belt when I am throwing 0-2.
It all just comes with feel and repitition.

I don’t believe I said anything about closing your eyes and just throw it. I am sure I suggested the catchers target as to where you want to go
To re-read my quote it looks just about exactly what you said.
I strongly disagree about the fundemental aspect though, if you do not properly throw “anything”, A) You risk injury and B) It isn’t (No Way dude) going where you want it to go with any consistency. Of course you throw your stuff at different locations depending on the count, on-base situation etc. The question though is “how” to locate a curveball, aiming vs throwing isn’t simple semantics, if a person aims pitches as one throws a dart,it will not consistently hit the target, but if one relaxes, works with a motion that doesn’t change and has his body moving to the spot he wants to hit, he will be successful more often than not.

“but if one relaxes, works with a motion that doesn’t change and has his body moving to the spot he wants to hit, he will be successful more often than not.”

well said. thats one of the keys with any off-speed pitch. keep the same delivery, same motion, same arm speed, same arm angle as your fastball.
if you can be consistent with all that, so every pitch is coming out of the same spot from the hitter’s perspective, you’ll be in much better shape. they’ll have a tougher time picking it up. and that makes your job a lot easier.

as for where to start your curve to get it to break where you want: experiment. find what works for you. koufax used to imagine bucket behind homeplate, and tried to get the ball to dive into the bucket.

it depends on your break, and the angle of your curve, 12-6, 1-7, 2-8, etc.
ive got a 1-7. if i want to throw one for a strike, i generally key in on a RH batters shoulder and it will break over thigh high. if i want him to chase it, i start it belt high and slightly inside and it breaks down out of the zone.

as other have mentioned, it takes practice. phsyical and mental. ive thrown a lot (LOT) of bullpens over the years, and thats when you get the muscle memory u need to make these sorts of adjustments automatic.

part of it is mental/visual. try to actyually see the path of the ball before you make a pitch. see it leave your hand perfectly, breaking exactly the way you want it. see the hitter reacting just the way you want. see the ball hittting the catchers glove in just the right spot.
then, relax and trust that your body knows how to make that pitch.

keep working. it takes practice.

if your a righty facing a righty and you want to throw a STRIKE you AIM the curveball at the batters head then drop the aim to the shoulder.etc etc…see what works best.since the ball tends to break down and SOMWHAT away in general you have to compensate.If you aim the curveball the same pl;ace as the fastball the curve should end up very low and away.

you wanna have time with your curve and no how much it breaks do you can hit the spot. practice in the pen

When I was a little snip…
I would get a catcher, and either he would mark off a pitcher’s rubber and a home plate at the requisite distance of 60’6", or if we could get to a playing field that wasn’t being used I would just take the mound and he would set up behind the plate. (The problem with marking off the plate and the rubber with chalk was that the marks would all too quickly be scuffed into oblivion!) And we would play a little game we called “ball and strike”. The catcher would position his mitt in various places—high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head :lol:, and I would concentrate on getting the ball into the pocket of the mitt. I would do this with such pitches as I had at the time, at different speeds, and using the crossfire which I had picked up, and as I expanded my arsenal I continued to do this. And what a good satisfying feeling to hear that “thwack” as the ball hit its target! Believe me, there is no better way to sharpen up one’s control than this kind of workout.
And you don’t aim the curveball as such. You aim for the catcher’s mitt, and throw not only to it but through it. Another thing I did with this workout was have someone stand in either side of the batter’s box so I could really zero in on the strike zone, which in my day was a lot larger than it is now. If more pitchers were to do something like this they would see a drastic improvement in their location of pitches. :slight_smile: 8)

All of the above.

Its all about consistency. After throwing for a week, I found a really nice release point. When I’m properly warmed up I have more control with my curve than my Fastball! I apparently have a “nasty” curve that breaks somewhere in between 2-8 o& 1-7. I know my break so well(because how fun it is to throw) that I can toss it around the batters head and get it high inside. I can aim about a foot higher and to the right of the glove (from my RHP point of view) and hit really close to the spot. I can’t even do that with my fastball! lol.

But remember i am just a street baller. i probably throw 60 at most, I don’t have a measure of comparison or radar gun. Control is probably easier for me than you.

Never aim a pitch. Throw the darn thing.

When you get to the higher levels, you’ll find that an 0-2 breaking ball that ends up a strike is not a quality pitch. You want the breaking ball that looks like a strike and ends up a ball.

My pitching coach wants me to work on throwing breakers for strikes more. I can get mine to look like a strike and break out of the zone but not to start as a ball and become a strike. Any tips?

in a 0-2 count the batter might be expecting that curve. toss him some high heat and then slip that curve in there next pitch if your tryna practice throwing ur duece for strikes