How do pitches get counted for a Catcher's interference?

Need some “opinions”.

Think of this issue in terms of pitch counts. 2 situations, both take place on 1st pitch of ballgame.

Situation 1 – Batter hits ball to F4 and is thrown out, but umpire calls DI. Manager chooses to take the DI and batter is awarded 1st base. Should the pitch count be 1 with 1 strike thrown, a BIP credited, and a 1st pitch strike credited

Situation 2 – Batter swings and misses, but umpire calls DI and is awarded 1st base. Should the pitch count be 0, and no 1st pitch strike credited?

I believe you have the proper interpretation of situation 1.

Situation 2:The batter would not be awarded the base before the ball is thrown. A pitch had to occur for there to be defensive interference. The batter would have to offer at the ball (a strike by definition). I don’t see anything in rule 10 that would negate the fact that a pitch was thrown and a swing made.

[quote=“CoachPaul”]I believe you have the proper interpretation of situation 1.

Situation 2:The batter would not be awarded the base before the ball is thrown. A pitch had to occur for there to be defensive interference. The batter would have to offer at the ball (a strike by definition). I don’t see anything in rule 10 that would negate the fact that a pitch was thrown and a swing made.[/quote]

I just got done changing how mine works, and decided to go the wimpy way to save myself lots of headaches. Here’s how it works now.

The catcher gets charged with an error.
The batter is credited with a PA, no AB, an ROE, an LOO and LOS, reaching on a CI, and seeing 1 pitch.
The pitcher is credited with a batter, a strike, 1 pitch, an error made behind him, an ROE, a runner reaching on a CI, and a called strike.

I realize that isn’t how everyone would agree it should be done, but its such a rare occurrence, I think really indicates what took place, and since I’m the only one using the program, there’s really no great harm done in any case. It was just a question I had when I couldn’t reconcile the pitches in a recent game. Its only happened twice in 2 seasons, so I don’t imagine anyone’s career would be damaged. Thanx for your thoughts. :wink:

[quote]The catcher gets charged with an error.
The batter is credited with a PA, no AB, an ROE, an LOO and LOS, reaching on a CI, and seeing 1 pitch.
The pitcher is credited with a batter, a strike, 1 pitch, an error made behind him, an ROE, a runner reaching on a CI, and a called strike. [/quote]

Actually sounds accurate to me. Complicated, but accurate. :smiley: