How do i tell my coach i want to try?

I pitch over hand right now, i used to be a side armer, but after a wrist injury i just couldnt get the ball to do what it used to do. so i switched to over hand. When i throw over hand i have a over powering fastball for my leaugue, 66-71. but that is all i really have. i dont have any other pitch.

But recently i have been fooling around with the side arm slot and i found out that i can get the ball to do what it used to be able to do.

but i was just wondering if you guys could help me with what i should say when i ask my coach to see if he will let me pitch side arm during the games.

i feel that i could do better if i pitched from a side arm slot.

Tell him! Take him aside, tell him what you’ve been doing, and ask him if he’ll let you pitch, say, one inning in relief, just to see how it goes. If he’s amenable to this idea, go for it. After all, sidearm is probably your natural delivery, and a coach who’s worth his salt will not mess around with it, especially if you’re more effective that way.
Ed Lopat, who was my pitching coach for almost four years, had this basic premise—that every pitcher has a natural motion—and he would work with said pitcher and show him (or her) how to make the most of it. He did not believe in trying to change the delivery; he would just suggest ways to make it more effective. When I picked up the crossfire, he helped me refine it, and I used it extensively. 8)

I’m with Zita; Ask him to give you a shot. I would find a pitching instructor in your area that takes a look at your arm slot to see if it is naturally side arm. Most students have a natural three-quarter arm delivery but I have worked with a few natural side arm hurlers.
Make sure you also tell your coach that you have and will continue to work very hard. you will also need another pitch if you are to succeed. Anybody can hit a fastball. Good luck!

I also think you should ask your coach to take a look at you throwing sidearm but make sure you do it at practice - not game time. You’ll need to prove yourself in practice before your coach will buy into you throwing sidearm in games.

Well i had practice today and my coach said that he doesnt want me to throw side arm becuse he thinks i will injur my self throw with the arm slot.

Have you guys ever heard of momentum oitching?
Would this put more velo on my fastball?
And what do you suggest throwing besides a fastball?
Im working on a circle change but what else do you consider me trying? maybe a curve or should i try throing the slider again?

All right, first things first.
Either your coach is a victim of misinformation, or he’s unbelievably stupid—or else he has an agenda. Where does he come off telling you that throwing sidearm might result in injury, when the simple fact is that the sidearm delivery is actually the most natural and the easiest on your arm and shoulder? This coach sounds to me like one of those guys whose motto is “my way or the highway”, who insist on a pitcher throwing a certain way even if it’s not comfortable for him. I’ve seen too much of that, and let me tell you, if I had a nickel for every coach who does that sort of thing I would be a billionaire ten times over. My advice is don’t listen to him; if the sidearm delivery is comfortable for you and you’re getting good movement on your pitches you should stay with it.
As to some of your other questions: I’ve heard a lot about this “momentun pitching” both pro and con, and to my way of understanding it’s just another term for the kind of pitching I have seen many major league pitchers do—they drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, it seems to me, seamless) motion, and that’s how they get the power behind their pitches. If that isn’t momentum, I don’t know what is. I learned it a long time ago from watching how the Yankees’ Big Three pitching rotation did it years ago, and even though I wasn’t very fast I could get that power behind my pitches, not to mention that also doing this took a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder—not a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else to be found. And I threw sidearm, both long-arm and short-arm motions. I can tell you that if you work on this it’s sure to increase your velocity considerably.
There is one thing you can do with a sidearm delivery that will not work with any other, and that’s the crossfire. I picked that one up when I was about fourteen, and I fell so in love with it that I used it almost constantly. My pitching coach saw that I was using it, and he helped me refine the move. It will work with any pitch. And as for your wanting to pick up the slider again, why not? It’s actually easier on the arm and the shoulder than the curve ball, because you don’t snap your wrist, you just turn it over. That was my strikeout pitch—I nicknamed it “Filthy McNasty” after a character in a W.C. Fields movie because that was exactly what it was; it had a sharp late break to it, and it used to discombooberate the batters something fierce—the best they could do with it was foul it off! 8)

I see what your saying zita but i dont want to just ignore him and pitch side arm.
Because he might pull me off the mound and bench me.

I never thought of using the momentum pitching style with the side arm delivery! :smiley:
I will try doing it tomorrow.
I will tell you how it goes.

As far was picking up a new pitch is concerned, the best pitch in baseball is the changeup (besides fastball), and there are few people who fall outside of this generalization. I’m a big slider advocate because it is one of my best pitches and has been my go to pitch for the last 3 years but I’ve been working hard on my change up. Hitting is timing, pitching is disrupting that timing. The change up does that better than any better pitch, just look at the success Tim Lincecum has with his.

And as far as going side arm, I don’t really think you will injure yourself going sidearm, BUT, unfortunately, scouts do not like side armers so if you wanna go to college for baseball, side arm probably isn’t the way. Most side armers in college didn’t start out as pitchers or they were and started over hand.

“…scouts do not like side armers so if you wanna go to college for baseball, side arm probably isn’t the way.”

With all due respect, I think this may be more a projection of what you personally think, than it is an accurate generality.

To begin with, there are very few sidearm pitchers at the high school level for colleges to choose from. Second, the raw odds of a HS player going on to play in college, at any of the available college levels, is small. This exceedingly narrow funnel is based on grades, talent, exposure, personal drive, and probably sometimes luck.

Overall, if there are 5% sidearm pitchers in HS ( a made-up number, I’d be glad to hear of a fact-based one) and if 5% of all HS players go on to play in college (I think that may be somewhat accurate, but am open to correction if someone has a better estimate), then the math suggests that one could expect to see about 0.25% of sidearm pitchers among all collegiate baseball players. I think the real number is larger than this, but it’s hard to say, because there are ~90,000 collegiate players across the country–there’s no way for anyone to see them all.

At MLB levels, where things are very visible, I believe the number is closer to about 10% sidearm pitchers. That estimate suggests that talented sidearm pitchers are actually valued higher than expected by scouts and managers, because the % of them is higher at that level than it is at HS level.

In the Steven Ellis has opined that being a sidearmer these days will brand a pitcher as a reliever…I have to agree. For whatever reasons, the evidence seems to clearly support that.

Well, the next question is: Is it a bad thing to win a roster spot as a reliever or closer? I don’t think so.

Hi, rckdhouse! When you say that most scouts, coaches, what have you, don’t like the sidearm delivery, it makes me wonder—does it have something to do with their esthetic sensibilities? Is it that they don’t like it because it doesn’t look as imposing, as impressive, as—“cool” as the straight over-the-top delivery? Don’t they stop to think that over-the-top may not be right for a particular pitcher. or are they so blinded by the prospect of speed, speed and more speed that this is all that counts? I say shame on them! A pitcher needs to go with what is comfortable for him and what enables him to get the job done without risking injury.
So the kid should go ahead and throw sidearm. And there’s one thing he can do with it that will not work with any other delivery, and that’s the crossfire. I have seen so many batters look very stupid against that delivery—I used to use it all the time—and I can say it helps in the all-important matter of getting those outs. :roll:

The scouts not liking it part was something I got from an article from this site, that said something along the lines of side armers being prone to injury (or at least the belief that they are). Also, in high school, there is not really much of a relief position but rather just pitchers throwing on a given day, so you will most likely be starting and not coming in just for relief. The speed that you lose could prove to be vital the second time around the line up after they have gotten used to the arm slot and movement on the pitches.

Granted the information I am using for my responses here are all from articles I have read on the subject so take it with a grain of salt, I’m not a scout, I can’t answer for one.

With an over thetyop delivery you get more speed.

With a side arm delivery it looks very wierd to a batter(i know because i faced one today) and you can get irregular movement on you rpitches.

I throw in between because its my natural arm slot and i can get a sharper break on my curve.

Randy Johnson threw sidearm or as close to it as you can get without being sidearm. I don’t think he lacked in the velocity department.

That may be true but the vast majority of us aren’t 6 feet and 3 billion inches tall as well however. I would say randy Johnson is the exception, not the rule, especially since he threw low 3/4s’ and not truly side arm