How do I increase size and strength?

What exactly do I have to do to put on size, and increase strength? How many sets should there be and how many reps? What Supplements should I take(Protein, creatine, vitamins?) What should my eating habits be?(If I gain weight, I want it to be solid muscle)

if your a pitcher, do not try to gain muscle mass, if you gain to much muscle, you wont be able to pitch, plain and simple

ok, then how do I increase my strength the correct way?

Low reps, heavy weight. If you can do more than 12 reps, you should be lifting more.

Diet should be more than 2500 calories a day. If you want to pack on solid muscle, you should probably be eating 40-50% protein. If you are a hard gainer (aka skinny) you will probably have to up the calories to 3500 in order to gain weight.

but if you needed to put on some weight you would do more reps with less weight??

more reps less weight gets you more toned and cut. wait, so storm, what your saying is that i should be doing like 5-6 reps with my max weight?

i dont know i was just asking how to gain weight becuse i REALLY need to gain weight

High reps low weight will get you more tone and work on your endurance and it will actually burn fat if you don’t rest too long in between sets or if your doing supersets. If you want to gain size and strength you wanna do no more than 6 reps with about 2 minutes in between each set so your fully recovered and wont be dead for the next reps. If you can do more then six reps then its not heavy enough. Also have variety in your workout. You can lift heavy one day and light the next, this will trick your body so it doesnt get use to the same exercise and same reps so you dont pleatue.

Well, what I do is progessively work my way up… I’ll start at a weight I can easily do 10 at, more or less to warm up/stretch.
Then I’ll keep addidng weight and the amount of reps goes from 10 to 8, 6, 4 ect… Until I can only do 1. Is that good/bad…?

Its fine except that you shouldnt do your one rep max too many times in a week or you’ll end up hurting yourself. Other then that its fine except dont be doing that for every exercise every time or your body will adapt to it snd you’ll pleatue.

[quote=“SnakeManiac72”]Well, what I do is progessively work my way up… I’ll start at a weight I can easily do 10 at, more or less to warm up/stretch.
Then I’ll keep addidng weight and the amount of reps goes from 10 to 8, 6, 4 ect… Until I can only do 1. Is that good/bad…?[/quote]
No, that isnt a good idea. Muscle needs 120 seconds of tension in order to stimulate growth. If you consider that most reps will take 5 seconds of tension, that would be 24 total reps per muscle. If you do a pyramid (that is what the 10,8,6etc. is called) you will be stressing the muscle way more for only slightly better gains. You would be better off starting with a low weight and doing 1 or 2 warm up sets, followed by a couple “working sets” with 80% of your 1 rep max. You should be able to complete each set with that weight. I aim for 8 reps a set. If you cant get to 8 reps, you drop a little weight.

And high reps with low weight isnt just for toning. It will build mass, but not strength. Body builders don’t actually lift that much. They are going for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which gives you the big bulky muscles. I was watching a video with Milos Sarcev and he was talking about chest workouts. He only uses 225 pounds for his benching and he is a world champion. Conversely, I know many guys that bench 250 or more that have only a fraction of the muscle size that Milos has. The secret is that Milos will work the upper chest for 6 sets, the middle chest for 6, the lower chest for six, and so on.

If you want strength, you need to lift at least 80% of your 1RM (one rep max). Redsox, you cannot physically lift your max weight for 5-6 reps. If you could do 5-6 reps then it isnt your max weight :wink: Storm (and this applies to Redsox as well) gaining weight starts in the kitchen. You could work out constantly and never see the results. The body needs to take in protein in order to make new muscle (as well as maintaining existing). Take your bodyweight and that is the amount (in grams) of protein that you should be eating daily. You also need to find your BMR (google it. There are calculators that will find the number for you). I would guess that you would need 3500-4000 calories a day to put on 1 pound a week.

So, in summary:
High Reps and low weight = bulk muscles (bodybuilders) or extreme endurance muscles (marathon runners) This is sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.
High Weight and low reps = strength gains (powerlifters and strength based sports) This is called myofibrillated hypertrophy.
-Either variation can give you big muscles, only one will make you a better athlete (in a baseball sense).