How do I get noticed?

Okay, I missed the HS team this past year. I’m not exactly sure why, but I want to find out. But this other kid, 6’'1 made the team, as a pitcher that cant hit, and he even missed a tryout. I KNOW I’m better than the kid. 2 years ago we went head-to-head in a playoff game and I dominated, he didn’t. Heck, coming into the season, this kid was supposed to be a super star who threw harder than any of us could ever hit, in a scrimmage my catcher AND their catcher said I threw just as hard as him.

What the heck do I have to do in order to be noticed by the HS coach? Am I too short? Because I Homeschool? What is it?

Its simpler then you think. All you have to do is go talk to the High School coach and ask if you can tryout, explain how your homeschooled and didn’t know if you could play for the High School or not…then show him why you should be on the team.Simple as that.

Is this a public school or a private school? If it’s a public school how can you tryout? I’ve heard of homeschoolers playing on private school teams because it’s harder for them to field a team because of smaller numbers, but never public school teams.

I was homeschooled too and I just played on a homeschool team in the area. Where do you live? There might be a homeschool team in your area.

As for getting the coach to notice you, all you can do is try to improve your skills over this next year.

Oh, I went to the tryouts. That wasn’t the problem. It’s just that I’ve heard other PARENTS telling my parents that it may have kept me off the team. It’s really irritating. I know I’m better than half the players who made JV.

From what I’ve read in your post, and initial replies, I have a question.
Did you go to the high school and attend their tryouts, or were you hoping that pitching against the team in scrimages and playing in other leagues would get the coach to offer you a spot?
If it’s the first scenario, there’s nothing you can do. The coach has final say on who gets cut, and who gets a roster spot. You could ask politely why you were cut, but I wouldn’t recommend calling him out if you want a spot next year. And when next year comes go out and give it your all.
If it’s the latter, then that’s not really a realistic approach to making a high school team. You need to take the initiative to get in contact with the coach, athletic director, school ect…
I personally think you mean you tried out and were cut, in which you only have 2 options. Quit, or work hard and come back next year. And from reading your signature, I don’t take you as the quitting type.

[quote=“SnakeManiac72”]From what I’ve read in your post, and initial replies, I have a question.
Did you go to the high school and attend their tryouts, or were you hoping that pitching against the team in scrimages and playing in other leagues would get the coach to offer you a spot?
If it’s the first scenario, there’s nothing you can do. The coach has final say on who gets cut, and who gets a roster spot. You could ask politely why you were cut, but I wouldn’t recommend calling him out if you want a spot next year. And when next year comes go out and give it your all.
If it’s the latter, then that’s not really a realistic approach to making a high school team. You need to take the initiative to get in contact with the coach, athletic director, school ect…
I personally think you mean you tried out and were cut, in which you only have 2 options. Quit, or work hard and come back next year. And from reading your signature, I don’t take you as the quitting type.[/quote]
It’s the first option. I know he has the final say, what I want to know is how to get noticed. He’s heard of these other kids, but not me.

Coaches usually aren’t that short sighted though. They wont cut you simply because they don’t know you. If you really want to be noticed always always hustle. Even when it’s just picking up your glove, or moving to the other side of the gym, or field to throw, always hustle. Always have a positive attitude, and always be busy doing things. It really sucks to have the coach look over and see you wandering around, when in reality you’re just not sure of what to be doing. Thats why you always stay busy. And just give it your all. I mean, the coach sees a lot more than you think he does, and if you go there and do the best you can, that’s all you can do.

Just curious looking at your signature seeing your age, did you try out in 8th grade. Atleast around here if that was the case coaches generally let 8th graders try out but it’s quite rare for them to take one simply because they have to be above and beyone the freshman, otherwise taking them and letting them on the bench does them little to no good.

On talking to coach, atleast at my high school our coach told everyone on the last day of tryouts if you get cut you were welcome to set up some time to talk to him about what he saw and what he didn’t, and what needed to be done.

And just a couple thoughts, and it appears you want a spot and your not going to back down, but… and this goes for all players, for instance I’ve got a couple friends who got cut from the team and their pride is going to keep them from trying out again, if no body that got cut give it another shot the next year, he must of kept the right guys.

To get noticed things everyone can do:
Run to everything in the tryout, don’t walk
Make eye contact when coaches are talking to you
Yes sir/no sir (maybe that’s more of a southern thing idk lol)
Leave it all on the field, on a single up the middle dead sprint to first no jogging, if your in the field do all the little things on a routine ball, not simply the motions.

Sounds like you really want it, and go at it!

[quote=“centerfield2150”]Just curious looking at your signature seeing your age, did you try out in 8th grade. Atleast around here if that was the case coaches generally let 8th graders try out but it’s quite rare for them to take one simply because they have to be above and beyone the freshman, otherwise taking them and letting them on the bench does them little to no good.

To get noticed things everyone can do:

Yes sir/no sir (maybe that’s more of a southern thing idk lol)

[/quote]

At my school we cant try out until we are in the high school…
and… it must be a southern thing. Us northerners are classless :?
heh just kidding of course. Respect is a universal quality that all coaches appreciate. They expect to be respected, and will respect you in return.

2 things, 1st Tim Tebo (#1 qb in the country out of hs, high draft in baseball…ended up at University of Fl.) was a home schooled kid and he played for a public hs. 2nd, it’s summer, have you called the school or coach to find out what programs they have going on (Summer ball, working out etc.) I saw a kid who know one thought would make it, do so by showing the coach a great attitude and even better work ethic, he used every bit of the facilities the school made available over the summer (Batting cages, weight room, he ran there on the track) just was so “There” that the coach could see the desire (Not hear it…talk is cheap sweat costs time and effort).
Good Luck!

[quote=“jdfromfla”]2 things, 1st Tim Tebo (#1 qb in the country out of hs, high draft in baseball…ended up at University of Fl.) was a home schooled kid and he played for a public hs. 2nd, it’s summer, have you called the school or coach to find out what programs they have going on (Summer ball, working out etc.) I saw a kid who know one thought would make it, do so by showing the coach a great attitude and even better work ethic, he used every bit of the facilities the school made available over the summer (Batting cages, weight room, he ran there on the track) just was so “There” that the coach could see the desire (Not hear it…talk is cheap sweat costs time and effort).
Good Luck![/quote]
Tim Tebow homeschooled? That’s kinda cool.

I have’nt had any contact with him. But I play summer ball, and I’m planning to sign up for fall ball. We don’t have the biggest school, so there’s no batting cages and the weight room is for football. I’ve never seen the coach near there.

And I put in maximum effort when I work out. I just need to know more excercises that I should do.

And I just finished with my Freshman year, so that had no bearing on it.

Thanks for the replies.

If you’re throwing 74 consistantly and only in 8th grade, I’m sure they would have either kept you, or demoted you to Freshman Baseball. There is no need to rush with moving up. If you knock the teams dead, the coaches have no choice but to move you up. Even if you threw 74 and in 8th grade and were wild, they would have kept you at Freshman or even Modified B (7th and 8th) for the simple fact, they can teach you to be more consistant with the strike zone. Maybe you needed a minor adjustment in your mechanics, you never know. If you throw heat and show dedication and, are a hard working they will keep you at some form of level.

If you’re throwing 74 with strikes, I don’t see why not to keep you at some form of level especially when you are in 8th grade. If you’re working hard, and stuff like that, I doubt they would have cut, maybe you should look beyond your talent. How was your attitude?

I think I remember him saying something about trying out at a small school. Not every school has a freshman team, or a 7th/8th grade team. We don’t. It’s JV or Varsity. That’s it. Not every school works the same way here guys. Hell, at my school you cant even try out until your in 9th grade. Don’t label every school as you know yours to be.
Something I just noticed. Your signature, well at least to me seems to give off the impression that it’s you against the world. You need to look at things this way. Not everyone is out to put you down, doubt you, or just shrug off the talent you say you have. There will be tons of people who would be more than willing to help you out, all you have to do is ask. Believe me, finding help, and working hard are the only things thatll get you on this team.

Tebow played for Neese High here in North Fla. He is an inspiration to homeschoolers everywhere…for that matter anyone who thinks he’s tough, they ought to just look into that kid…played and succeeded for an entire half as a Junior against Palatka High…with a broken leg (He is also known as a running QB as well as the best rated passer)…man what heart.
You say the weight room is only for football, have you called and talked to anyone? At our school they all use the same weight room (FB, Base,Basket wrestleing…everyone…). Be bold! Call them up and don’t be denied, speak to the Athletic Director, as long as they know that you will be participating with that school, they generally are very accomodating.
Remember if you don’t call or show up (Remember you can run on a track for example), you have no one to blame but yourself…Do not excuse anything for what you “think”, if you don’t know for a fact find it out.

I was in 9th grade, and they only have JV and Varsity (9th-10th on JV, 11th-12th on Varsity). I may not have been at full speed throwing yet, since it was early March, but i had it close. Maybe I should try some reps in the Outfield next year or something. To prove my worth? I played MIF at the tryouts, maybe he thought I wasn’t versatile enough? I dont know what it was. But I was better than half the kids on JV at those tryouts.

And I had no issues with my attitude. There was nothing there to display a really bad attitude on even if i had one.