How do I fix this 10 year old?

I know one of the problems he has is not throwing over the top. The qustion is how do I fix it? What do I tell him or what can I do to get him throwing over the top? I’m sure a good pitching coach can tell me all kinds of things he is doing wrong but the bottem line for me is I want his arm to last and not get hurt! I want to take it one step at a time and start with throwing over the top. What can you tell me that will help?

Start with fundementals, this boy is not throwing fundementally correct, it has nothing to do with his arm “coming over the top”. Notice his glove hand and how far going away from the target his foot is? When you flail the glove arm like that and aren’t directing the body to the right spot, you’ll not be accurate and increase potential harm to the arm.
Right now at this age nothing has more importance for him as a pitcher.

I agree with JD. Get him to keep his glove out in front instead of letting it swing down and to the side. And get him to keep his head moving towards home plate until ball release.

So. You’re concerned that this kid is not throwing “over the top”. Let me ask you this: Since when is this a problem? Have you never stopped to consider that “over the top” is NOT his natural delivery, that he is more comfortable with a 3/4 or a sidearm motion? Are you so obsessed with the idea of getting him to throw with a motion that is not comfortable and might even be injurious to him that you have lost sight of some of the important aspects of good mechanics, like balance, glove side work and such. Or do you, perhaps, have a hidden agenda? Now, I can’t begin to answer all those questions or address all those aspects of mechanics, but one thing I can tell you, and I’m deadly serious about this: Leave his arm slot alone. Don’t make any attempt to change his natural delivery, whatever it is.
Instead, listen to what JD and Roger are saying. Work with him on these other aspects of mechanics, and remember that he’s just a ten-year-old, so don’t push him. Otherwise what you’ve been trying to do may just have the effect of souring him on the game to such an extent that he’ll not want to bother with it any more. 8)

the arm slot has to do with shoulder tilt. his arm slot is fine for the little bit of tilt he has. i wouldn’t worry about that.

what worries me more is how is arm gets a little stuck behind him. that’s usually not a good thing once he starts throwing with more power. my son had the same problem until he got lessons from a pro.

most of his power is being generated by his arm, which is how many 9-12 year olds throw. but i suggest teaching him how to get more core torque now. it’s not very hard to do. i am a pitching coach for 11-12 year olds in this area. i learned from Brent Pourciau of ■■■■■■■■■■■.net who taught my son Nicolas.

here i am doing a REAL quick video to remind my son of some fundamentals. it’s very basic, made for kids to understand. have the boy watch it and see if it makes sense to him.

hope that helps. take your time teaching him and make sure he has fun.

What? You never heard about The Secret? Well, let me share it with you, as I have with a lot of other pitchers, as I learned it a long time ago. Here it is: The kid needs to learn to get his entire body into the action—to drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion. That is how he will generate the power behind his pitches—how he will throw harder with less effort and take a lot of pressure off his arm and shoulder.
I learned The Secret many moons ago, when I went to the original Yankee Stadium and watched the pitchers. I noticed that the Big Three—Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat—were all doing the same thing, driving off the lower half of their bodies and thus getting more power into their pitches, even Lopat who was more of a finesse pitcher. I saw just how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this—and believe me, this is an essential element of good mechanics, regardless of what speed one throws—I found that I was throwing harder with less effort, and with all the pressure being taken off my arm and shoulder I knew that I would never develop a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else.
There are some exercises and drills he can do, and you can find them on this website—for example, the “Hershiser drill” which aims at getting the hips fully involved. And as he gets into this he will find that his velocity will increase substantially. Even I, a snake-jazz pitcher, ended up with an 81-mile-an-hour four-seamer which my pitching coach (the aforementioned Mr. Lopat) told me was, for a finesse pitcher like me, a fast ball. And I added it to my arsenal. :slight_smile: 8)