How could i increase my velocity?

I am turning 14 and i am pitching mid 70’s to low 80’s how can i reach mid 90’s by Senior year of High School? Could football help increase my pitching velocity? ( We lift weights everyday after school )

Velocity comes mainly from how quickly you can turn your hips/trunk of your body so keeping that in mind anything that works on how athletic you are can improve your velocity, weight lifting specifically won’t get you to throw a 5 ounce baseball any faster, there is work you can do in the weight room to increase your athleticism, stronger legs and more controlled hips and trunk. I think that a solid flexability program and maybe some yoga gives more control and increase in velocity vs lifting weights.

buwhite:

I disagree. You need to be strong in order to throw with velocity. Every pitcher in the major leagues who throw mid to upper 90’s are animals. And the ones who aren’t big have very very very unique mechanics. Strength is a huge part of becoming a good pitcher. But your right about this. If you dont stretch and lift weight you will become slow on the mound. Just do both is my opinion.

Velocity is still the combination of momentum and torque, lifting can be seriously counter productive to both these things that is why so many pitching coaches talk about a program of long toss, cardio and speed/ agility work. Light lifting can enhance the strength part of an athlete but only in moderation and a small part of a much bigger program.

And now—THE SECRET.
I learned it many years ago, as a kid, when I went to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got. I would sit in the upper deck behind the plate so I could get a nice panoramic view of the whole field, and I would watch the pitchers during pregame practice and in the games themselves. And I noticed something the Yankees’ Big Three were doing. Vic Raschi—Allie Reynolds—Ed Lopat—they were all doing the same thing: they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and seamless) motion, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches—even Lopat, who was definitely not a fireballer.
I watched, and I saw just how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential element of good mechanics, I found that not only was I doing the same thing, I was also throwing harder with less effort. Maybe I wasn’t fast—quite the contrary, I had to go in the other direction and become a snake-jazzer—but my natural sidearm delivery seemed to get more snap and sizzle to it, and because a lot of pressure was taken off my arm and shoulder—as it was with those three guys—I realized that this was how NOT to get a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else!
And I don’t know how it happened, but I picked up some speed and ended up with a good 81-mile-an-hour four-seamer which, I was informed, was for a finesse pitcher like me a fast ball!
So there it is: THE SECRET. And if you check around on this website you will find things like the “Hershiser drill” and the “crossover drill” which aim at getting the hips fully involved. It all makes for greater flexibility, and with it greater speed. Have fun! :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

Stretch, run sprints, do plyometrics, lift heavy legs and back, stay away from heavy chest exercises, strengthen your core, work on your mechanics (especially getting good extension), do your band work, and probably the most forgotten piece to the puzzle is your hips!!! I feel a lot of people focus on making their legs and core strong but if your hips are weak you will lose all of the energy being transferred from your lower half to your upper half.

Exactly! As I said, the whole point is to get the legs, the hips and the torso into one continuous (and seamless) motion, and that’s how one generates the power behind one’s pitches. The arm and shoulder would just go along for the ride, so to speak, and when the pressure is taken off said arm and shoulder one can throw harder and faster with less effort. 8)

I love it when Zita simplifies it like that…thanks Zita.

Spoken like a true genius. Masterfull.