How Come Cy Young Was Able To Pitch So Much?!?!

Cy Young pitched a whole lot of innings and won a whole lot of games. What I can’t understand as being a pitcher is how he could pitch so much without having much of a resting period. I think it’s amazing that he could do that. Did pitchers back then throw as hard as pitchers do today? Also he never hit 3,000 strikeouts but had pitched well over 7000 innings. What do you guys think about Cy Young? I woud like to hear some opinions.

I think part of the difference is that back then guys didn’t always try to throw so hard. IOW, they didn’t throw a fastball with every pitch and when they threw a fastball, they didn’t usually throw it at full speed.

I believe Cy Young pitched underhand during part of his career as well. I don’t think it was until 1900 or so that overhand throwing was fully implemented.

pitch counts wouldn’t go as high as today though. Back then, it was bunts and hit and runs so it was about 3 pitches per guy

Fewer pitches thrown in a game because of “small ball” tactics, dead-ball era baseballs, wide open outfields (original Giant’s Stadium in New York was 500 feet to straight-away centerfield), and no out-of-play fences beyond the backstop. Plus, baseballs weren’t changed as often, many times using the same ball for every pitch in a 9 inning game. One story of the origin of the “around the horn” was to allow each infielder to get hold of the ball, rub a little chewspit and dirt onto the surface, and return it to the pitcher. That’d be one hard to see ball after a few innings, especially with no artificial lighting.

With all the bunts, he must have been an incredible fielder, too.

I read somewhere that he said he knew it was time to retire when he couldnt field bunts anymore and that his arm was fine but fielding became to difficult.

He once said:

“I had a good arm and legs. When I would go to spring training, I would never touch a ball for three weeks. Just would do a lot of walking and running. I never did any unnecessary throwing. I figured the old arm had just so many throws in it, and there wasn’t any use wasting them.”

“I never warmed up ten, fifteen minutes before a game like most pitchers do. I’d loosen up, three, four minutes. Five at the outside. And I never went to the bullpen. Oh, I’d relieve all right, plenty of times, but I went right from the bench to the box, and I’d take a few warm-up pitches and be ready. Then I had good control. I aimed to make the batter hit the ball, and I threw as few pitches as possible. That’s why I was able to work every other day.”

[quote=“VoS”]He once said:

“I had a good arm and legs. When I would go to spring training, I would never touch a ball for three weeks. Just would do a lot of walking and running. I never did any unnecessary throwing. I figured the old arm had just so many throws in it, and there wasn’t any use wasting them.”

“I never warmed up ten, fifteen minutes before a game like most pitchers do. I’d loosen up, three, four minutes. Five at the outside. And I never went to the bullpen. Oh, I’d relieve all right, plenty of times, but I went right from the bench to the box, and I’d take a few warm-up pitches and be ready. Then I had good control. I aimed to make the batter hit the ball, and I threw as few pitches as possible. That’s why I was able to work every other day.”[/quote]
Good grief!! I’d wonder how he would fair at his prime against modern hitting. Probably a Maddux-type pitcher. Definately not as many wins, but he’d still be up there.

I think he must have used his fielders more instead of going for the strike out all the time